10 Top Foods that Prevent Inflammation in Your Body

Posted August 5, 2010. There have been 43 comments

Do you want to feel healthy, energetic, and fight disease and the signs of aging? Then you need to know about inflammation and how to reduce it.

If you have heart disease, high blood pressure, bacterial or viral infections, osteoporosis, arthritis, acid reflux, candidiasis or acne, then you could also have chronic, low-grade inflammation. In fact, if you have any number of other diseases, it is likely you have inflammation. And if you want to get or remain healthy, you definitely want to reduce the damaging effects of it!

Inflammation has a positive and negative affect in your body. Inflammation has a positive side because it helps your body respond to stress. But chronic low-grade inflammation is thought to be one of the leading causes of disease, premature aging and illness.

When you get a cold, your body responds with inflammation in the form of a fever that helps you heal. The inflammation does its job, gets rid of the virus, and disappears. But if your immunity is compromised and your body is constantly stressed, you might experience chronic low-grade inflammation that leaves you more susceptible to illness and disease.

Fight Inflammation the Natural Way

You can help your body fight inflammation by reducing stress, eliminating sugar and processed foods, and getting enough sunshine.

Diet is a key part of your inflammation-fighting plan, and some foods have amazing anti-inflammatory properties.

Here are 10 excellent inflammation-fighting foods and ways to incorporate them into your lifestyle:1

1. Fermented Foods and Liquids like Dong QuaiInnergyBiotic, and Coco-Biotic should be at the top of your list of inflammation-fighting foods. They are anti-inflammation super stars for many reasons. One example is that they build immunity and help control infections that are often an underlying cause of inflammation
  2. Broccoli has tons of vitamin C and plenty of calcium. It also fights eye inflammation. Make sure you lightly steam your broccoli to digest it well.
  3. Hemp oil (and all other oils with omega-3 fatty acids) reduce inflammation. Most Americans consume too many omega-6 fatty acids, so it's important to incorporate more omega-3 fatty acids. Hemp oil also has gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) to further fight inflammation. Remember to look for unrefined organic oils.
  4. Wild-caught salmon is another way to get beneficial omega-3 fatty acids. You can also try other fatty fish like cod and sardines.
  5. CocoBiotic

Did you know that CocoBiotic has amazing anti-inflammatory effects on your body? On top of that it can also supercharge your immune system, reduce sugar cravings, and increase energy.

Tart cherries can reduce inflammation ten times better than aspirin! Once your inner ecosystem is well underway you are in stage 2 of Body Ecology. Tart cherries help reduce your risk for heart disease. They are certainly more delicious than the popular over-the-counter pill you are likely familiar with.

6. Soaked walnuts make a delicious and inflammation-fighting snack when you are ready for stage 2 of Body Ecology because of vitamin E and more heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Soak your walnuts and other nuts before you eat them to remove the enzyme inhibitor. This makes them easier to digest.
  7. Onions and Garlic. Onions not only provide a sweet taste to your savory meals, but also they have lots of quercetin, a potent antioxidant that can help your body fight inflammation. Try onions with your grain dishes, or prepare with eggs and greens. Garlic has long been a folk remedy for colds and illness, and its anti-inflammatory properties are amazing! Garlic contains sulfur compounds that stimulate your immune system to fight disease.
  8. Pineapple is a tart fruit that you can begin to eat in Stage 2 of the Body Ecology diet. It has bromelain, an antioxidant that boosts your immunity naturally.
  9. Spinach has plenty of carotenoids, one kind of inflammation-reducing antioxidant and it also contains vitamin E.  Make sure to steam your spinach for ultimate digestion.
  10. Spices: Ginger & Turmeric

• Turmeric is a spice used extensively in other cultures, and for good reason. It contains curcumin, a substance that actively reduces inflammation. Try sprinkling turmeric onto cooked squash or quinoa for a different flavor.
    • Ginger works in a way similar to turmeric to lower inflammation and in some studies has been shown to reduce pain associated with arthritis.

While processed foods may seem like the easier choice at first, they deplete your health over the long haul.

Developing a healthy eating plan can sometimes seem difficult but like anything that is new, it becomes second nature over time. And the payoff is well worth it: with a proper diet, you can take a proactive stance against inflammation and disease by incorporating these superfoods into your life.

With diet and lifestyle choices that support your health, you'll fight disease, illness and the signs of aging!

Sources:

1. Dominick, Heather,"4 Foods PROVEN to Fight Inflammation," http://ezinearticles.com/?4-Foods-PROVEN-to-Fight-Inflammation&id=139191
  2. Underwood, Anne, "Anti-Inflammatories: The New Superfoods," Health.com.
  3. Ginger, University of Maryland Medical Center, UMM.edu. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginger-000246.htm
  4. Turner, Lisa, "10 Foods to Fight Inflammation," BetterNutrition.com.

Post Categories: Fermented Foods General Health Getting Started

• Every one must understand that it is a varied diet which produces all the building blocks for the body to heal and repair itself. BUT! To do this there must be sufficient stomach acidity to brake down proteins and allow absorption of all amino acids, fats, carbs and minerals in the small intestine!
    Our digestion relies on ALL food passing through the acid bath of the stomach to enable absorption and that stomach acidity decreases with age!
    I now take Digestive Enzymes (with HCL) with my dinner and any protein meal. Also, I take a capsule first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to clean the blood of free floating undigested food particles.
    My criteria for this doing me good is that my sense of smell increases after about half an hour and I have less inflammation and more energy. Also, no more constipation.
    Digestive Enzyme capsules may be your solution to better health. Why not give the a try? Be aware that they may be contradicted until any gastric ulceration is cured.
    Regards to all people suffering.

• I think the first step to get rid of inflammation is to do a body cleanse.There is so much information out here now and u have to just do your research to find what works for u .Juicing should be incoperated into your daily routine. Base most of your diet on fresh fruits and vegtables and nuts but remember to do the right research for your condition because every body is not the same

• I would just add fish oil and green tea to the list ;)

• Good article. Some comments give differing information. I suggest people read None of These Diseases, which gives the diet from the Bible that God gave to the Hebrews to avoid diseases. When there is conflicting advice, I refer to this to see what God said was best.
    Also, highly recommend Traumeel ointment for aching joints. We get ours through Amazon.

• I have a sway back and intense pain. My fix is the beach or pool . Get a floatation device. Float I suspended in the water for an half an hour. The cold reduces swelling. Floating lengthens and. realigns the spine. Then sit in the sun. For 30 min. This is the most amazing cure. I m without pain. More. limber heating up my joints then cold water. Soooo wonderful. Try it !! .

• Hi was interested in all that was said on this site,I also feel like some of the others,I have degenartive arithritis.It only took 7 yrs. are more to get the DR. to do MRIs on my body.At this point I don't really know how much longer I can handle the pain I'm in all the time.Plus I have a major chemical imbalance,and sometimes my meds. quit working,It causes severe anxiety,panic attacks and severe depression.So combine them togather and makes it almost impossible to keep trying to live this way.Could use your prayers,feel like mine aren't going any where.Thank you LOL

• I have found 2 great things for and about inflammation

Had inflammation in my knees and I used turmeric and cumin in capsule form from Vitamin Shoppe. I took it for 6 to 8 months....

Also learned about eating according to your blood type....My blood is O and we are not to eat anything with wheat....Look at your labels and you will find it hard to ignore wheat. It is even in Cherrios cereal and canned chili...UGH!

As far as the alkaline question....our bodies are alkaline and it is my understanding that acidic
    adds problems and one is inflammation....indigestion...acid reflux...sorry but no human should drink 8 oz of acidic drink each a.m. It is called orange juice! Many just drink the sweet acidic drinks in the a.m. to get going....sugar! There goes the serotonin.

If you need to find lists of alkaline foods....google!

sciatic nerve.... problems...its a nerve and if it is where the inflammation has settles that equals pain.

If you have baaaad inflammation...go on alkaline foods.....turmeric/cumin....distilled water
    32 ozs every a.m. before eating give it 6-8 months. Check out your blood type diet and see
    what you should not eat. That Dr. who wrote the book has taken a lot of time to gives us the info..so try it

If you have joint pain use aspercreme and rub on where it hurts...again to many aspirins will
    cause other stomach problems ladies to much aspirin and the like, causes dry skin and wrinkles
    Hmmmmmmm...and the story goes on.

Blessings
    Shalom

• Lighten up Ann. Doctors go to school for years and pass rigorous board exams only to write prescriptions and make you sicker. Quality salmon and farm fresh eggs aren't good for you? I'll take my chances.

Vanna, hanging upside down was fantastic for my back, but after 20 years of it I developed a haital hernia and regrettable had to stop. proper stretching works great for my sciatica.
    I would recommend to stay away from product of China ginger, garlic, and tumeric.
    Don't forget free sunshine and clean water. And bicycling helps me much more than walking.

• I am suffering with inflammation in my left hip and leg and even in my wrists and ankles at times. I am doing most of the above suggestions but still have days that I have to take Ibuprofen for a day or two. I will be alright for a few days and then the cycle begins again.
    Any advise is appreciated....also I have found that grapefruit and vinegar (most kinds) cause me to hurt so bad until I can hardly move. I am 70 years old and have been diagnosed with mild arthritis several years ago. Thanks for any advise you may have, Judy

• To Elvis Tribute Artist!

If you suffer from gout.....Start putting 1 Tbsp of organic apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of
    water and drink each day. NO MORE GOUT!!!

• For the sciatica and back issues, a quality inversion table is a worthwhile investment. My husband couldn't sit or stand for more than an hour without pain due to prior back surgery. He recently purchased a well-known/advertised inversion table and swears by it. I have found it very helpful for computer associated neck and shoulder pains.

The fact is that the averaged diet contains anything but real food. Read the labels - chemicals, cellulose! Cellulose is mainly used to produce paperboard and paper. GMO, Monsanto frankenfoods - what do you expect to happen to your body when you eat that? Clear out your diet and progress will begin. After that, look at other sources of poison, such as household/yard chemicals and beauty products. Finally, take a look at your dentistry to see what else is leaching into your body daily.

As for "medical doctors" and their education, who cares? Most believe that prescription medications are good. I have a friend with a heart condition whose doctor put her on statins, which are KNOWN to cause muscle weakness. Um, your heart is a muscle...anyone think maybe that's a problem?

Any time you think that a chemical replacement for a natural product will be a better choice, things go wrong. It makes me think of the fact that they began creating artificial THC (for consistent levels to use in studies). Take a moment to look up the effects of bath salts.

Good luck and good health to you all.

• I was told that turmeric is a good source of getting rid of inflammation you can find it at Whole Foods stores and co op in Santa Monica, Whole Foods may have it I myself will be trying it because my brother swears it I am dealing with sciatica nerve and so far I have been stretching that muscle, it has been since March of 2013 and it is getting better my prayers go out to everyone that is in need of a healing and that I pray to God everyday please make this better cuz I am tired of being in pain so I hope everone find the relieve that you're looking for may God bless us all. and I also purchased a device name aurawave 10 it is a wonderful thing it help my pain you can look it up ,wwwaurawave.com

• I do all of the above and am 43 years old and it is amazing how much inflammation I still have. Not sure if there is more I can do. I have spinal disease and arthritis both inherited from my mom and dad. Neither of them had it until their 50's so I'm 10 years early.

Brenda you are wrong about the dark ages. Doctors use to teach nutrition and weren't afraid to say hey you want to change that lose 30 lbs but they are not alloweed anymore now they call it bad bed side manners. We have docs in our family and they are old school. Nutrition use to be the first thing taught now it is sympton equals drug. We are not in the dark ages in medicine but rather we have stepped away from common sense and good nutrition. Big difference.

• I understand Nopalea is good for inflammation but it's quite expensive.

• These are great ways of REDUCING inflammation but why don't we look at the primary cause. In most cases of chronic inflammation there is a case of heavy metal toxicity which is stopping us from getting better. I'm no expert but I know it has helped me. I recommend you all read Andrew Cutlers book "Amalgam Illness". He's an expert on the subject and has helped many people with chronic inflammation, allergies, candida, multi chemical sensitivity, autism... You name it!

• Ann! You are so faaaaaaaaaaar back in the dark ages, it's scary. Go do a nutrition diploma and learn the truth. You are spouting rot when it comes to saturated fats and cholesterol. Tsk Tsk Tsk. And! yes, Doctors to need to learn a lot more about nutrition and foods, also herbs ad spices and their benefits before they are let out on the poor unsuspecting patients. I cannot believe how soooo many of my Doctors are ignorant of these essential facts and how little they actually know.

• The problem with medical studies is that most of them seek to learn how drugs and food affect disease. This is why medical recommendations change so often. Information will never be consistent if we are talking about which foods reduce inflammation because every person is different in their health strengths and weaknesses. What we need to ask, and the way we solve this problem, is what foods fill our nutritional deficiencies and move us toward health. This takes us in the right direction. Reducing disease and achieving wellness are not the same thing, Natural, whole foods that are raw and unprocessed nourish our bodies. Plain and simple.

• DEAR ANN,

I would NEVER EVER Trust an Allopathic medical doctor for nutritional advice. Most of them don't know a thing about it due to taking 1 class on nutrition in Med school. They get more classes on pharmacology and business, since most medical schools are run by pharmaceutical companies.

• Re #4. Just a small point - cod is not a fatty fish, it's a white fish.

Posted on Dec 27 at 10:54 am

• Suggesting fatty fish is understandable if you never saw the article in the British Journal of medicine indicating that omega 3's have no impact at lowering cholesterol, fighting disease, or stopping death. salmon is one of the most fattening foods with over 70% of it calories as saturated fat and huge doses of cholesterol which roam the bloodstream taking the place of oxygen in the blood and creating loads of free radicals. Eggs and Salmon have to be about the two worst foods you could recommend. A single egg has 212 milligrams of cholesterol and loads of acidic inflammation causing protein along with saturated fat. animal products are the only foods that contain cholesterol. Excess protein causes bone loss through the urine, and damages Kidneys, and causes osteoporosis and arthritis. Check out advice from a real Doctor at www.PCRM.org. The issue is peer-reviewed research and how non-medically trained people like Donna Gates have no business giving the wrong medical advice to people. These are recommendations and that is called giving medical advice without a license. Why make Doctors go to school for years and pass rigorous board exams only to allow anyone with a website and a book to give bad medical advice based on heresay and conjecture. The proof is in the pudding folks. Plant based diets are the most healthy at reducing inflammation and promote healthy gut ecosystems. I appreciate anyone who attempts to promote health, but in this case, she is just promoting more of her products and supplements as the solution. Of course the data is going to suggest the only option is to take her products to be healthy. If you are tired of your pains and arthritis, take charge, go plant based, and enjoy your life to the fullest. Stop wasting time here with all this Salmon and egg nonsense. The suggestion of those is enough reason to exercise a little flight or fight response and get the hell out body ecology city.

Posted on Dec 27 at 8:26 am

• According to research done, spinach & organs meat are high in uric acid and it will worsen arthritis and gout . Taking Himalayan salt brine/solay helped many people

Posted on Dec 27 at 8:04 am

• I was so happy to find this information! I love Google, ask it any question and you can usually find the answer. I do have another question: Would a person that is "acidic" (verses alkaline) be more inclined to have a problem with inflammation?

• had lower lumber fusion in march since then much trouble with hip which also leads to severe leg pain was told i have severe tinitis please helpthatout

• Hey Esther E.Stephens. i'm so sorry for you.may god help you where ever you are.if you saw my msg,please email me on sarahyekolov@yahoo.com. i do really understand your condition,so i have something to advise you to do.and to all people here,try to do the blood letting cupping.for more details find the information at any books shop or internet. And to Esther i'm waiting for your email.good luck!

• #8 is a repetition of #1, so your list only has 9. What was the 10th?

• Those foods will help reduce gut inflammation but fail to address the cause of most inflammatory disease, which is intraphagocytic L-form bacteria:

A therapy has been developed for this problem, and many are achieving a permanent CURE of otherwise intractable autoimmune and other deadly diseases:

• My grandparents have had significant improvement from gout by drinking 4oz of cherry juice daily!

• Dear Margaret - I have been reading I'm supposed to steam my spinach first - yuck!
    I make a (raw) spinach salad and use mandarin orange slices in the mix, which sure tastes good!
    Right now I forget what else I put in the salad - sorry. I think it's some sliced and cut up red onion.
    I have such horrible fog brain!

• To 'Esther E Stephens' and 'Need Help' (and anyone else in need of healing)

Your stories have really touched my heart - I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a bad time. But please be very sure that Jesus can heal you! All the churches listed below are very used to seeing miraculous healings of every illness, and none of them charge, which is an extra bonus! ;-) May Jesus really bless you! Praying for you right now that you can start your healing journey!

Charlotte, London, UK

If you live in the US, Bethel Church in Redding CA is the place to go: www.ibethel.org/healing-rooms-ministry

If you live in the UK, this is the place: www.nkcc.org.uk/ministries/healingcentre

Or this one, in London:
    www.chiswick.cc/Groups/123958/Chiswick_Christian_Centre/Healing/The_Healing_Place/The_Healing_Place.aspx

• Thank you for the article. I'm researching the elements of an anti-inflammatory diet for a friend who has cancer. I'm also part of the grass-roots campaign to "Help Spread the Health" through "Earthing" ; connecting yourself to the natural, healing energy of the earth through barefoot walking outdoors. Ongoing research documents how Earthing decreases chronic inflammation which is an underlying contributor to every disease. We have a website for people to start the discussion and share their Earthing experiences http://www.EarthingTestimonials.com.

• I am truly greatful for this information on this website, I am seriously going to give this chronic total body inflamation a huge fight to be healther starting today!

• I got arthritis and gout.After having 2 strokes, 2 heart-attacks and 2 seizures, I am now in a wheel-chair. I am on blood thinner. The pain really hurts but through God I can do every thing and any thing who strengths me. When I touched each part of my body, it really hurts. My fingers, wrists, elbows neck, knees, legs, ankels, and toes is swollen and is in pain. I am praying to God that it will be alright.

• Im 38 and have inflammation i have started juicing and eating healthly. I would like to know different veggies I can buy.

• i have gout and arthritis i need help i was in an car accident that made every thing worst i want
    to help the swelling from my neck to my feet the inflammation and pain is driving me crazy
    don't need to take any more pill need help

• check this out carol good stuff, I just made some green tea with graded ginger in it...

• I can highly recommend Turmeric and Ginger! I suffer from gout etc and I do find that Tuermeric and ginger does ease the pain.

• i have inflation of the cervics for over 1/2 year and am not on any kind of treatment ,what should i do ,a void it turning worse.

• I loved the information that you've submitted. I have a chronic case of sciatica, and a herneiated
    disc.However, I've refused the surgery, and will now try some of the suggestions that you've offered. I spen many sleepless nights. Is there a vitamin that I can take?

• Why do people who may serving suggestions for spinach constantly over look the inpotance of Citrus used in conjuction to allow for absorbtion of all its nutreints?

• I wonder if anyone would like to comment on the world health organization's advisory against eating fermented vegetables, like kimchi. I don't know if that's the same as the "fermented foods and liquids" talked about here, but fermented vegetables in particular are associated with increased risk of esophageal cancer.

• Great article with some great information. By adding the suggestions in number 11 & 7, you can make just about any dish help fight the war against inflammation. I also add omega-3's in the form of a gel capsule supplement to help with inflammation.

• I'm so fascinated by the whole body ecology diet. I'm a vegan so I don't eat salmon. Can we use Algal oil in place of salmon?

• Excellent information in this article. Lately, I have heard complaints of arthritis from several of my friends. They put it down to getting older and accept it. I'm a strong believer that eating healthful foods can make the difference.

Comments