Millet Nutrition, Benefits & Uses: Your Guide to this No-Gluten, High Vitamin B & High Calcium Grain-like Seed

Posted April 29, 2007. There have been 28 comments

Millet is not just for the birds. When you find out all the benefits of millet nutrition, you'll want to include this ancient prized grain-like seed in your own diet!

Most people have not even heard of millet, much less understand the benefits of millet nutrition. And yet, millet is one of the best-kept secrets of our ancient ancestors. Traced back to its origin in China, millet has been used throughout the ages and across many countries.

For centuries millet has been a prized crop in China, India, Greece, Egypt and Africa, used in everything from bread to couscous, and as cereal grain.

Millet is even mentioned as a treasured crop in the Bible.

This tiny "grain" is gluten-free and packed with vitamins and minerals. In fact, while it's often called a grain because of it's grain-like consistency, millet is actually a seed. It's often used in birdseed mixture, but if you think it's just for the birds, you're missing out on important benefits of millet nutrition for yourself!

Millet Nutrition

Millet is one of the four gluten-free grain-like seeds on the Body Ecology program.

Some of the key reasons millet is part of your healthy Body Ecology diet is because it:

• Does NOT feed pathogenic yeast (candida),
  • Acts as a prebiotic to feed important microflora in your inner ecosystem
  • Provides serotonin to calm and soothe your moods.
  • Helps hydrate your colon to keep you regular.
  • Is alkaline.
  • Digests easily.

Millet is full of nutrients your body needs, such as:

• Magnesium
  • Calcium
  • Maganese
  • Tryptophan
  • Phoshorus
  • Fiber
  • B vitamins
  • Antioxidants

And that's not all. Many studies have been done on millet nutrition to identify its benefits for your health. Here are some of the findings1:

• Magnesium in millet can help reduce the affects of migraines and heart attacks.
  • Niacin (vitamin B3) in millet can help lower cholesterol.
  • Phosphorus in millet helps with fat metabolism, body tissue repair and creating energy (phosphorus is an essential component ofadenosine triphosphate or ATP, a precursor to energy in your body)
  • Millet can help lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
  • Fiber from whole grains has been shown to protect against breast cancer.
  • Whole grains have been shown to protect against childhood asthma.

How to Select and Prepare Healthy Millet

Shiloh Farms millet is a delicious, easily digestible, organic hulled millet that can be delivered directly to your door! Make the most of your millet nutrition with organic Shiloh Farms millet!

Millet can be found in some grocery stores, often in the ethnic foods section. However, to get the most from your millet, choose organic hulled millet.

Here's how to prepare your millet:

• Rinse it off and remove any stones or unhulled pieces.
  • Then soak or sprout your millet for 8 - 24 hours prior to preparing it, so that you remove the phytic acid that binds up minerals and enzyme inhibitors that make it difficult to digest.
  • Another great option to prepare your millet for easy digestion is to add a small amount of fermented liquid such as BE Wholegrain to the soaking water. Let the soaking millet remain at room temperature for 48 hours. Add a teaspoon of BE Wholegrain Liquid or your favoriteprobitioic liquid to your soaking water; it's an excellent way to add minerals and will make your grains even easier to digest.
  • Cook millet as you would rice but with more water (3 cups water to 1 cup millet). However, if you soak millet, you won't need as much water when you cook it. After soaking, try 1 cup of millet to 2 or 2 ½ cups of water. You determine how much water to use depending on how soft you like your grain.
  • You will know your millet is finished because the dark yellow color will become opaque.

The Body Ecology Diet book is full of delicious, creative recipes to make the most of your millet nutrition.

If you are unable to tolerate grains, there are steps you can take to correct your digestion and add grain-loving microflora back into your system.For more information, read: Gluten Sensitive? Celiac Disease? Here's Why You Definitely Should Consider Eating these Fermented Grains.

Shiloh Farms Organic Gluten-Free Millet Grain is a high-quality and economical choice.

Read more about this millet now!

Try Some Millet Today!

As you experiment with new foods on the Body Ecology program, not only will you realize a whole new world of delicious options, you will also start to look and feel better.

Millet is a delicious way to start or end your day. Try some today and experience the benefits of millet nutrition that made it the prized grain of so many ancient cultures!

Source:

• Millet. The World's Healthiest Foods.

Post Categories: Candida Probiotics

• Have read the benefits they fit my requirements will go for it thanks to God given millet

• There is very little Calcium in Millet. These are the % for 1 cup serving

Calcium 1%
    Iron 6%
    Magnesium 19%
    Phosphorus17%
    Potassium 3%
    Sodium 0
    Zinc 11%
    Copper 14%
    Manganese 24%
    Selenium 2%

• My parents and I used to grow millet and ate it in substitution for rice when we were short on rice. I never knew millet has such good nutrients.

• Am just going to try it now. I hope I love it. Its going tobe my first time. So pls can u guys help me out with uor recipes so I cud try enjoying it different ways.

• I've been drinking millet porridge for long and there is nothing better than it. It's good for the heart and an antioxidant too.

• I grind mind together with guinea corn and yellow corn to make pap. Does it still give the same nutrients?

• it is good to learn about gluten free rice 4 ms patients. go healthy with ms through millet

• Shannon,
    Apple cider vinegar (or any vinegar, I believe) should not be eaten on a yeast free diet. For sourness, try adding some lemon juice instead. So, it's not the millet that causes the yeasty smell.

• I took a lot of millet custard or pap too when I was a child but never knew it has a lot of WOW nutrients..... My half mom makes a delicious meal popularly known as KUNU-GEDA in the North, it is usually a mixture of millet pap with ground nuts, very delicious........

• Well today is the first day I met Mr. Millet. I was reading an old book.." How to get well..Dr. Airola". He was talking about Millet and Barley...and one of the healthiest way is to cook it at 200 in oven put Millet in tight cover dish with 3 cups of water 1/2 tsp honey and 1/2 cup of powder milk I just used milk since I don't like any powder milk. Let cook 3-4 hours at 200 and voila. It is actually really good... I add some brown sugar and butter to it. You can do this method with barley too.

Just wanted to share.

• What if Ifast roast the seeds then after I make porriedge

• I take Millet grains & grind them to add to my fruit. Will I get the same nutritional benefits from the grain eating it uncooked?

• I have taken millet porridge and food ever since i was a child and i have fed my children on the same. The results are amazing. They never fall sick or get colds.

• thank you very much.already i knew it but,i have some doubt about millet.there is 7 types of millets , which is good for health of our body and indian climate . please suggest m

• it is really awesome to get the most useful information regarding millet but little more information is needed for further learning so kindly adopt the information relevant to minor millet and render it to us...............................................thank you

• I never know the usefulness of millet until i travel down to the northern part of Nigeria in West African. Its really amazing. I soaked it for 24hrs and blind it with sweet potatoes and some spices like ginger,i then boiled water and pure it together. The taste is so amazing tasty.

• Since i was born we have always taken porridge made out of millet flour and its taste and addictive. and source of income at the same time.

• I make roti from millet flour, is it healthy ? Because i learnt that from my mom and grandmom , we never soaked millet or made porridge.

• I am coming to know the beneficence of millet how to keep healthy our body, after that I am using millet food regularly avoiding paddy rice. These information are useful to me. Thank you very much.

Posted on Dec 13 at 10:49 pm

• Cherished and eaten by nearly 95% of tribes in Uganda. How we prepare it; we sort it, then grind it on a grinding stone or from the millet grinding mill, mix the flour with half a cup of cold water, add the paste to a cup of boiling water, stir non stop until boiling point to avoid clotting. Boil for 2 minutes then remove from fire. At this point your porridge is ready to be served. My aunt makes tasty cakes using millet flour too. It can be eaten on breakfast, lunch or supper. Millet is my favorite food.

• I was not aware of the cooking process which helps to better assimilate millet. I personally toast the millet without any fat until golden and then add exactly twice the amount of boiling water cover and simmer it not to low not to high for about 20 minutes. When done I fluff it up with a fork; the finished product is nice airy like rice.

• we from east africa have consumed this grain as part of our daily staple food diet for not only for physical but also spiritual well beings as we have a very strong belief''healthy body healthy soul go hand in hand as god"s blessed grain as any other grain food for human consumption for healthy well being.awailable in abundance& easy to digest

• Millet does not contribute to yeast. Well, I soaked my Millet in a water with a small amount of Apple cider vinegar for about 16 hours and when I went to drain and rinse it this morning it had a slight yeasty smell. Did I do something wrong? Can I fix it?

• My grandmother used to make this. It's quick, easy and nutritious. Makes a nice breakfast porridge. Add milk and fruit for texture and flavor. Very, very good for you. Try it sometime soon!

• I have learned to love millet and use it in baking quite a bit. Good food makes me happy and I'm all about the happy. Look for twinkles, follow the winks, find your happy. ;)

• How long will millet keep? We have had some stored for some time, it has been kept dry and seal in a food grade bag. It smells like a grain, no signs of mold or any other discolor.

• Vdorpooery good information which I needed. Now I know how to prepare it for cooking. Thank you so much. God Bless!

• useful information but some more

Comments