In the mood for millet? Then you’re going to love this. Our gut-friendly millet casserole is one of our popular dinner recipes that’s become a crowd favorite.
Want more where this came from? The Body Ecology Living Cookbook is an excellent source of low-sugar, vitamin/mineral-rich recipes, packed with nutrients that support a gut-smart diet. Think delicious smoothies, fabulous salads, vegetable creations, cozy sides, fermented foods, and a lot more.
We used Califia Oatmilk instead of another dairy product; pasteurized dairy destroys milk’s enzymes and nutrients — milk is better consumed raw, if you can tolerate it — while other nut-based milks contain oxalates, which may contribute to kidney stones, chronic pain, and inflammation.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or 2 tsp. ghee
- 3 shallots, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 sm. head broccolini, remove stalks and chop coarsely
- 1 med. zucchini, sliced very thin
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 box shiitake mushrooms, already sliced
- 1.5 tbsp. Italian seasonings
- 1 + 1/4 cup millet (see note below)
- 2 cups oatmilk (or other broth)
*Note: To reduce the anti-nutrients (oxalates and phytic acid) in the millet, do the following before using the millet in the casserole:
1. Soak millet in clean water to remove phytic acid.
2. Boil millet for 15 minutes in water like you are boiling noodles, then drain. (This lowers oxalates. You can read more here in our article: What are oxalates in food doing to your body? It’s not pretty.)
1. Set oven to 350°F.
2. Put olive oil or ghee in a sauté pan and heat on medium-low. Add Italian seasoning and stir for about 1 minute. (This releases the medicinal qualities of the herbs.)
3. Add shallots and garlic. When soft, begin to add the broccolini, zucchini, mushrooms, and red pepper in this order, cooking each until they are also slightly soft.
4. Combine cooked vegetables with pre-cooked millet and stir in oatmilk.
5. Pour into a 9 x 13″ baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
6. After removing from the oven, dot the top of the casserole with butter, slice into pieces, and serve. Enjoy.