Home Enemas: How and Why You Should Perform Them to Help Achieve Optimal Health

Posted October 12, 2007. There have been 38 comments

Most people greet the notion of a home enema with a wince and a snicker. Knowing the benefits of an enema can change that wince into a whisper of relief.

Clean water is the key ingredient to a home enema. Add herbs, probiotics or minerals for an effective way to soothe and cleanse the colon.

An Internal Bath for Your Colon

An enema is a method to flush waste out of the colon. It's not such a bad idea when you consider that the average person may have up to 10 pounds or more of non-eliminated waste in the large intestine!1

Simply put, an enema cleans up the colon and induces bowel movements, leaving you feeling cleaner, lighter and healthier almost immediately.

Whistle Clean Means Everything

If you've read the Body Ecology Diet, you know that good health begins right in the gut. Eating a natural, wholesome diet with fermented foods drinking clean water, exercising, getting plenty of rest, and breathing fresh air is essential for proper digestion, vibrant health and well-being.

But all of your efforts toward a healthy lifestyle could go right down the drain if you're not eliminating properly!

The main job of the colon is to absorb water and nutrients from food and remove waste and toxins. Over the years the colon walls can become encrusted with non-eliminated waste, making it sluggish and inefficient. When that happens, you might experience some of the following symptoms:

• Allergies
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Irritability
  • Depression
  • Swelling
  • Weight Problems
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Inability to Concentrate
  • Indigestion
  • Stomach Pains

Bacterial Gaper Delay of the Colon

When waste material travels too slowly through the intestines or you become constipated and they literally jam up, putrefaction and toxins occur. Constipation is damaging to every cell and to every organ in our body not just to our intestines. Our bodies are designed to absorb whatever is in the digestive tract... good or bad.

So in other words, if you begin your meal and eat truly healthy foods, and if you chew and digest them well, your body will absorb truly valuable nutrients. But if you leave putrefying, toxic waste in your system, your body will absorb that, too.

That's the point where autointoxication, or self-poisoning occurs.

Digest This!

There's no denying it - gastrointestinal diseases such as Crohn's, Colitis, Diverticulitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other diseases of the intestinal tract are a direct result of the foods we eat. Up to 100 million North Americans suffer from intermittent forms of digestive disease, making it the number one cause for hospitalization over any other group of disorders!2

Watch television for an hour or two and count how many commercials you see advertising over the counter and prescription drug products for digestive tract disorders. They're enough to convince you that it's perfectly normal to suffer the consequences of a bad diet, easily remedied with a pill.

So normal, in fact, that $2 - 2.5 billion dollars per year are being spent on these drugs. Two and a half BILLION!

Fit For a King

Enemas are not a new fad or something that's only performed by those obsessed with their health. It wasn't that long ago that enemas were routinely prescribed by doctors as part of a normal cure for illness.

An Egyptian king, as early as 1500 BC, was known to receive routine enemas by a physician who used them for regular medical treatments. The Egyptians believed that all diseases were caused by tainted, unwanted additions to food, or too much food, and understood how an enema could offer relief to serious situations.

Ancient regions in Africa, Greece, Babylonia, India and China used enemas.3 American Indians performed enemas. Louis XIV had almost 2000 enemas in his lifetime and stayed healthy throughout. And even the vivacious and voluptuous Mae West started every day with a morning enema. 4

Today the medical community has somehow disconnected itself with the benefits of enemas, and so it is up to us individually to take back a powerful tradition for maintaining health!

You Want Me To Put What, Where?!

Alright, before you hit the "Exit" button, let us put your mind at ease. The thought of an enema can be a little off-putting but they're really much more comfortable than you might anticipate.

In fact, an enema can be a very nurturing experience.

All you need is either a bag or a bucket, specifically designed for an enema in mind, a gentle catheter, a little coconut or olive oil for lubrication, clean water and a little privacy. You can definitely get creative with what you can add to your enema but we'll talk about that a little later...

Learn To Appreciate Enemas!

Before we get into enema-techno, let's take a look at what you could see disappear with regular enemas:

• Constipation
  • Candida Yeast Infections
  • Backache
  • Fatigue
  • Bloating
  • Indigestion
  • Weight Issues
  • Skin Conditions
  • Headaches
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Sinus Congestion
  • Flatulence
  • Loss of Concentration
  • Unpleasant Breath

If you experience any of those conditions, perhaps you should consider an enema!

Cleansing or Retention - Two Separate But Powerful Tools

There are two types of enemas - cleansing and retention.

The cleansing enema is retained for a short period of time until your natural peristaltic movement eliminates both the water and the loose fecal material. It is used to gently flush out the colon.

The retention enema is held in the body for longer. For example, the famous "coffee enema" is retained for approximately fifteen minutes or can also be left in and absorbed. Coffee enemas are an example of short term (fifteen minutes) retention enema. They were made popular by Max Gerson who used them with cancer patients to open the bile ducts increasing bile flow, helping to rid the liver of impurities.5

Examples of Cleansing Enemas:

• Lemon Juice - Just what you need to clean the colon of fecal matter, balance its pH and detoxify the system
  • Apple cider vinegar in water - helps with viral conditions and to clear mucous from the body. Great if you suffer from nasal congestion or asthma.
  • Catnip Tea - Relieves constipation and congestion and will bring down a high fever
  • Burdock Root - Helps to eliminate calcium deposits and purify blood

Examples of Retention Enemas:

• Coffee - A coffee solution (we mean a good organic breakfast blend, not decaf or instant) stimulates both the liver and the gallbladder to release toxins. (15 minutes only)
  • Minerals - this is one you will want to retain permanently. It helps rebuild the energy of the adrenals and the thyroid
  • Probiotic - Perfect for candidiasis and other yeast infections
  • Red Raspberry Leaf- High in iron, great for the eyes and particularly helpful for women 6

Each enema requires a slightly different method, but the results for each will be glorious. When a smaller amount of liquid is retained permanently we prefer to call this an implant. One cup of liquid with a probiotic, minerals or something green with chlorophyll (like wheat grass) makes an excellent implant. They'll quickly have you on your way to a happier, healthier colon!

When Enemas are REALLY Important

Whenever you're feeling lethargic or constipated, it's a sure sign that an enema should be scheduled into your immediate future. Even if you're feeling great, releasing extra toxins can only make you feel better!

But as you approach a healthier lifestyle and begin the Body Ecology Way, home enemas are incredibly important because:

• Fermented Foods - As you begin to add fermented foods and drinks to your diet, such as cultured vegetableskefirCoco-Biotic or our new InnergyBiotic, you might experience symptoms of yeast and pathogenic bacteria die-off as the good bacteria begin to colonize your inner-eco system. Gas and bloating is a signal that the mighty floras are busy attacking toxic waste in and on the colon walls.

Home enemas will rinse out the toxins, helping to shorten the discomfort you might be feeling.

Fasting - If you choose to fast, enemas are critically important. You must keep things moving out of your body because your cells will be dumping their toxins quickly. You will feel miserable if you are not cleaning downstream.

• Colon Cleansers - If you're using any type of clay cleansing agents to pull toxins out of the system, you'll want to use an enema to help release the bulk. You don't want to pull out toxins and leave them with nowhere to go!
  • Liver Cleansing - Because your liver dumps its toxins into your colon, you want to make sure the colon is open and in perfect working order to move all those toxins out quickly.

Will Any Bag or Bucket Do?

We're so glad you asked! At Body Ecology, we highly recommend the home enema kit and supplies from Health & Yoga. We particularly like the Enema Kit with the Stainless Steel Can and think you will, too!

Body Ecology highly recommends the Enema Kit with Stainless Steel Can by Health & Yoga. Order yours now for a cleaner and healthier beginning!

Regular bowel cleansing and home enemas could be just the link to reaching your goals of health and happiness successfully. Order an Enema Kit today and get started!

Post Categories: Detox Fermented Foods

• Michele,

I'm talking from experience it is possible to have 15kgs ( I'm from Australia ) if not more of backed up matter In your colon. Have you ever seen an autopsy done on a long time opiate user? As is common knowledge all opiates slow down your digestion and rob your digestive tract of vital water needed to promote healthy bowel function. In saying this I have seen the above situation and also myself have suffered from impaction where laxative after laxative and small volume enemas have failed. Check out some of the images available online of an impacted colon. You will be shocked at what you find.
    Regards Kelly

• I often use home enemas, as I have a "lazy bowel" I am not really sure what that means but Ive also food allergies. If I am toxic an enema makes me feel a lot better

• Can I sleep over the night with 2 tablespoon olive oil implanted withy all amount of water

• I liked the topic especially that I take enemas regularly,I would like to know which kind is best ,olive oil or salt as I have chronic constipation
    I would also like to have more information about the coffee ones

• I am doing coffee enemas every day for a few months by now. It's an amazing tool for so many health issues. My skin improved, my brain, my speaking/ cognitive abilities, I sleep less, my candida is disappearing, eyes improving. Beside coffee enemas, I am also doing some cleansing enemas once in 2-3 weeks - with salt, lemon, vinegar, baking soda - I love them all. I wish I started much earlier in my life; I could've avoided a lot of misery.

• I have found that I can purchase 48 disposable enema kits (2 quarts) for $1 each on the internet. That really takes away all the hassle of cleaning up the equipment after use. I also distill my own water, which gives me really clean water for the enemas.

• i just started my enema regime , and i feel great.i have a polycystic liver and using a colon tube. ior retentin nozzle really does a great j,tob of cleaning my colon i ifeel better and have more energy,.this series, of colon cleansing enemas with a f ive qt.bag also has done wonders for my prostate, .iam having a stronger erection from the warm water going into my colon and need to relieve myself this is wonderful therapy at my age

• Hi, great article! I was wondering if you could instruct me on how to conduct an enema to a child without traumatizing them? thanks in advance!

• what do doctors give one before an endoscopy they give you an enema that cleans up the colon and when they use the scope the debris have been removed impacted colon cleaned out and you feel better and they see none of the impation cause its removed with the enema they give you
    Ok if there impaction has been in the intestines for a long time it causes problems with the walls of the intestines cancer,ulcers,discomfort,allergies if its cancerous then the doctors cut but if caught early all this is avoided patients feel absolutely healed after an endoscopy because of the enema that they give you if theres no damages from the impaction of the colon.
    Enemas taken regularly are good to avoid an unhealthy mind and body and expensive medical intervention.
    Try polishing your car without washing it same with the intestine it can only absorb nurtition if it is clear of impurities STAY DIS-EASE FREE HAVE REGULAR ENEMAS AND STAY HEALTHY FREE

• I have used enemas at least three times a week, occasionally daily for a while, and have enjoyed a very good health. Whenever I stop doing enemas it has not affected to have BM naturally. I recently had my first colonoscopy (I'm 65 so way behind on the recommended schedule), and yet the doctor was amazed the have found only two very small polyps. I did confine to him that I was a long-time regular enema user, to which he responded that he suspected that the enemas had largely contributed to my good colon health and the small amount of polyps. Enemas make me feel great and energized and certainly are a contributor to my good health and weight. I highly recommend regular enemas to anyone,

• Is it safe procedure for a four year old candida affected child???

• Are coffee enemas safe for people who have mold allergies/candida? As coffee beans have mold on them. I just wanted to check

• Hello everyone,

I really want to attempt a cleanse but am a very nervous person since I've never done anything like this. I am F 5'11 263, I have a lot of stomach bloating and think a cleasne could be the answer but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

• i havent emptied my bowel for 2weeks and doesnt show any problem. will enema help where laxatives have failed?

• Hi every one I am about to do my first enema can any one till me the best way to start or what do put in the water... I am looking to get rid of my bad habit I drink like 5 or 6 cans of redbull every day and there is lots of bad sugar in them . But I don't no where to start thanks very much . I am from ireland

• Well I saw in some comment someone made that u can use small 12 v electric pumps and I had a small pump siting around and a 12 volt NiMH battery and I just did it 5 times total in a row before I took my shower. I am 24 and I figured that there may have been lots of build up. I don't think I put any more than 64 oz in at once. When it start to hurt I stop. I don't see Much expansion but that's a small pump and some unused rc gas line with no bit so it's not air tight I gess. Well we will see how I feel in the morning.

Posted on Dec 29 at 10:56 pm

• I just filled me up with more water, four quarts. I hurts a bit but sure had a great cleaning out.

• how often is it OK to do a home enema?

• Any information on black raspberry enemas: using either freeze dried black raspberry powder or black raspberry extract?

• I just started doing coffee enemas again. The benefits far outweigh any temporary discomfort. When I eat garbage too many times in one week, (fast food) or take in too much acidic things (sugary drinks, alcohol, red meat, packaged food, processed starches etc.) I inevitably feel the fibromyalgia symptoms exciting. A few key herbs taken orally and a coffee enema take the pain away. I've experienced multiple benefits from coffee irrigations but relief from fibro pain is the biggest benefit for me.
    32 yrs old, 5'9", 140lbs

• Hi. I am very interested in this but am concerned about how an enema might disturb the body's pH and could lead to the "good guys" being flushed out. Could you address this please? Here is a quote from a Nutritional Therapist regarding enemas:

"if you use anything other than water with probiotics, you will need to do an enema afterwards with probiotics. The pH of the colon can get thrown off by enemas. I've only ever used them in an emergency situation, not an ongoing basis....."

• Yes the human body can store large sums of waste. To the poster who finds it impossible . Please explain large sized belly's?? . This country does have a severe problem with diet and managed food intake. When i was 15 i was 260 pounds 5 5, and a waste line of 44. This weight just came on very fast. I had one bowel movement once a week if that , Maybe two weeks for one So where was all the food i was eating sitting? but obvious of course. I decided to ask my mother to get a coffee enema ready and she was happy i was finally deciding to make a change. After two weeks once daily i started to smell and see my problem. Im 37, 6"1, 170 pounds and no regrets. Had i not have made that choice as a kid of getting rid of the garbage and changing my diet i would have been one of the sad souls who cant even leave the house or walk due to weight. PS keep little debbie snacks from your homes ! that's pure evil

• I was introduced to traditional enemas while vacationing in Florida. The results and general overall improvements to my health have been amazing! Directly stated, I would never have believed this about enemas but a Nurse with extensive knowledge of colonic health persuaded me and what a difference this has made in my life.
    I encourage anyone to set aside your "reservations" and experience the difference!
    Please feel to contact me at the above e-mail if you want to read further about the difference this made in my life.

• Terry,
    I just came back to this page and saw your response to my inquiry. Thank you for replying. It is appreciated.

• @MICHELLE

10 pounds of waste is absolutely possible. My step-son was in a weight management program, which would NEVER promote something like an enema because the program was part of a hospital, and they stated the EXACT same FACT. No agendas here. Same fact completely different perspectives.

• Enemas are beneficial and were used by my Mother when I was young and have found then beneficial as an adult.

• Richard
    I have not been to this facility, but spoke to the people who run it. There is a guy who is an RN and his female assistant. You have to bring a stool sample with you when you come for your appointment. They test the sample for parasites and presence of blood. After that you get a short vital signs exam. Finally you are given 3 large enemas with a colon tube. You choose to take it in any position you desire. His female assistant inserts the colon tube as the enema is being given. After you are cleaned out men may elect to have a prostate massage. The cost of the visit and treatment is $180.00.

Terry

• @ "other Michele" - - "People have been known to carry 30-50 pounds of old dried up fecal matter in their intestines. Old feces does not pass generally out of the body like new waste, the old forms a home in the large intestine and needs special attention to dissolve the glue which binds the old waste to your intestinal wall. . . Some people with normal bowel movements hold about 3-5 pounds of waste in their intestine most of the time".

"For every foot of colon we can store approximately 5 - 10 lbs. of feces"

• will an enema be good for the removal of a foreign object from the butt/colon ?????

• Terry,

Can you relate any other information about this facility? Have you used their services, as you are obviously familiar with enema treatments. I was looking for such a facility. And do you know if they give a cursory exam prior to the enemas? Locating such a facility nowadays is extremely rare, and though I know it has been done in the past, routine vital signs were often taken prior to the enema(s), which was the exam portion.
    thanks

• Well it is obvious that other Michele has nevver had to deal with somebody who is impacted, and had to deal with results after cleansing, which I might add was done by doctors, not other people, the resulting feaces was over three feet long where the person was standing on tipstoes and the dia of the (log) was bigger than my upper arm, this person was covered in ulcers had rotten teeth, hair falling out in large chuncks and the worst body odour I have ever smelt, this clean out happened three times the second result was almost as much as the first....so Michele you do not know much about the human body as you think...scared the beejeesus out of me when I saw the result, by the way the person concerned started to heal almost immmediately and the first thing we noticed was the body odour reduced almost instantly and the ulcers started to clear up after only a few days with no antibiotic intervention.

• I am 52 years old (5'-9" / 140 lbs). On and off have to take junk food. My digestion seems OK (Do have one bowel daily without fail). Can any expert on this forum would recommend to take enema. If yes, which is the best way (instant or coffee). In the beginning, I thought enemas are only taken by persons having constipation problems or before surgeries but after going through the contents of this article, I believe cleansing is an important factor. One more question is that will I loose essential minerals. If yes, what should I do then.

Warm regards from: Taumar

• I don't understand why anyone would believe, let alone repeat, that there was 10lbs of waste in one's colon--it isn't even physically possible. Hasn't anyone here had a colonoscopy? You can actually see your colon on the screen and there isn't anything there after doing little more than a one night laxative flush. When this type of crazy misinformation is casually stated for the basis of recommending a procedure, not only the procedure, but everything one has stated in connection is suspect. I think there is much about the BE diet is healthy and sane, but this just makes my confidence in all of it go down the drain.

• I am a sugar junky and I need a fast safe effective way to cut my sugar cravings. I am also a breast feeding mother so I need to do this for the health of my child as well as myself. What would you suggest? I read that Cleasing is a fast way to get past the withdraw symptoms. But I also read cleansing is bad for the pregnant and breast feeders. I know my sugar problem is messing up my health and skin and now my newborn baby too. Any advise would be great. Thank you.

Posted on Dec 27 at 4:47 pm

• julie

Julie Coffee Enemas are very safe and will not increase the oxalates. write me at mikecmmt@yahoo.com I will share exactly what they do with good information for you .

• I practice regular coffee enemas and am just wondering about the oxalate value of the coffee as I have fibromyalgia and have just read an article which suggests only eating and drinking low oxalates. As coffee is classed as high oxalate I wondered if using it for the enema causes my body to have high oxalates?

• So, you said each enema requires slightly different preparation, but never explain what exactly they need. How much water should I use? How much water should I use for a retention vs. a cleaning enema??

• I am sending good information with regards to traditional enemas administered by a colon hydrotherapy clinic in Connecticut in case anyone from New England or NY may be looking to set up an appointment. They use the traditional high enemas with bag or can using colon tubes to provide a complete flush of the colon. They also provide prostatic massage for those men who desire to have one. See the advertisement below.

COLON CARE ASSOCIATES
    Dan George Brochu, RN (CC), Kelly J. Poe, CNA (CC)
    8 Oak Drive, Marlborough, CT 06447
    H (860) 295-9211; Cell (860) 306-9696, danbrochu@sbcglobal.net
    Traditional enemas featuring high-tube colon flushes for total bowel cleansing, superlative tissue detoxification, and improved colon tone. Individualized, unhurried care. No machines, high-pressure water sources, huge rectal applicators, or unnatural reclining evacuations. Fast, comfortable constipation relief. Specialized enemas for powerful liver detoxing, eradication of yeast, parasites, reducing bowel irritation, and balancing the bowel's eco-system. Prostatic massage for men for relief of prostate congestion.

I hope this helps. Enemas are important and I grew up receiving enemas regularly from my grandmother, aunt and mother in that order...LOL Well thanks for the article and information on your website.

Terry