The 9 Benefits of Dong Quai Almost No One is Aware Of

Posted February 14, 2008. There have been 43 comments

Men: do you want to enhance your fertility, de-stress, and improve your immunity? Women: are you looking for a way to ease symptoms of PMS or menopause? Dong quai is a Chinese herbal remedy known to do all of this and more!

Dong Quai is a traditional Chinese herbal remedy that is growing more popular here in the Western world.

Why it's gaining popularity has much to do with the tremendous benefits for both men and women. In fact, dong quai has been touted as a cure for infertility, hot flashes and maybe even cancer.1

Nicknamed the "female ginseng" because of its benefits for women, dong quai is also effective for men's fertility.

Whether you are a man or a woman, here's what you need to know about dong quai and to improve your health now:

1. Balances estrogen levels. Dong quai is the premier "gynecological regulator." It has the ability to reduce your estrogen levels if they are too high and can increase them if they are too low.
  2. Excellent blood tonic. Master herbalist, Ron Teeguarden, attributes the blood toning and nourishing effects of dong quai to its amazing vitamin and mineral content. Dong quai contains vitamin B 12, folic acid, folinic acid, nicotinic acid, and biotin.

Dong quai is helpful after any injury or surgery to replenish your red blood cells and increase blood volume. It's included in nearly all Chinese herbal blood-building formulas.

3. Treats iron deficiency and anemia. The cobalt in dong quai is thought to increase the hemoglobin content of your blood. (Hemoglobin is the protein in your blood that contains iron and carries oxygen to cells and carbon dioxide from them.)
  4. Boosts male fertility. Ferulic acid, an antioxidant found in dong quai, has been shown to improve sperm quality.
  5. Essential during and after menstruation. Dong quai is an antispasmodic that eases cramps and other symptoms of PMS. It dilates your blood vessels to increase flow during your monthly cleansing and helps replenish blood after your period has ended.

Women who stop taking birth control pills may also find dong quai useful to encourage a regular cycle.

6. Helps you feel happier! Dong quai is effective at reducing anxiety and could be useful to help you combat stress and reduce the severity of mood swings. It has a calming effect on your nervous system and promotes relaxation.
  7. Enhances female fertility. Only a generation ago, infertility was rare, but now it takes the average woman up to18 months to conceive. Women often seek the help of expensive fertility specialists and undergo painful procedures when an antifungal diet and an herb like dong quai may be all that are needed.
  8. Keeps you beautiful and youthful. Chinese women are known for their age-defying youthfulness, and dong quai may be a big part of it. Dong Quai preserves your natural beauty by encouraging health from the inside out.

Ron Teeguarden notes that Dong Quai increases circulation, improves your complexion, and aids detoxification to clear blemishes.

9. Treats alopecia, eczema and rosacea. Dong Quai's effect on the blood and circulation also prompts healing for common skin conditions like eczema and rosacea, neurodermatitis, pruritis, hives and vitiligo.

When NOT to Use Dong Quai

While Dong Quai is considered safe for most people, there are some specific populations who should not use this herbal remedy.

• Women with breast cancer
  • During pregnancy or while nursing
  • Women with endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or cancers of the breast, ovaries or uterus
  • Men with prostate cancer

Making Dong Quai More Powerful with Fermentation

You know that the herb dong quai has amazing health-building properties. It can be used to counter anxiety, build your blood, fight anemia, and improve your complexion. Now you can get Dong Quai in a convenient, immune-boosting probiotic liquid. Try Body Ecology's Dong Quai and see the benefits for yourself!

Dong quai's benefits intrigued Body Ecology's founder, Donna Gates. In fact, she knew that fermenting dong quai would make it more powerful AND provide the healthy, immune-boosting benefits of healthy microflora. Soon after, Body Ecology's Dong Quai was added to our line of healing probiotic liquids.

Body Ecology's probiotic liquid, Dong Quai, has four essential bacteria and yeasts that are ideal sources of natural, plant-based probiotics. What makes thes probiotics special is that they are native to human intestines, so they can thrive in your body much more easily than many other probiotics on the market.

Try an ounce of Dong Quai twice a day for women's health, men's fertility, to cleanse and strengthen your circulatory system and to improve digestion.

The Chinese have been benefiting from Dong Quai for centuries, now you can have a convenient and healthy way to take this ancient remedy every day!

Sources:

1. Kiefer, Dale, "A Natural Approach to Menopause," Life Extension Magazine, 20 April 2006. http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=3094&query=dong%20quai&hiword=DONGEN%20QUAIL%20QUAIS%20dong%20quai%20
  2. Herbal Supplements for Menopause, Epigee Women's Health. Epigee.org.
  3. Teeguarden, Ron, "The Ancient Wisdom of the Chinese Tonic Herbs," Grand Central Publishing, 2000.
  4. ibid.
  5. Male Fertility or Male Infertility, Fertilinet.com. http://www.fertilinet.com/male.htm
  6. Getting Pregnant: How Long Does It Take? AmazingPregnancy.com. http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/467.html

Post Categories: Pregnancy Probiotics

• I take chaseberry (vitex ) to regulate my menstrual cycle as I do not want to take birthcontrol pills to do so. I came across dong quai in gnc and saw that it was for women's overall health so I thought I'd try it to see what difference it would make. It's also great to know that it helps with hair growth and conception. I am a 40yr old women who would like to have children one day. I'm curious to see how dong quai will benefit me. Patiently waiting some thing's take time to work☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

• Please could you clarify what the contraindications of taking Dong quai with endometriosis may be, or why is is advised against?

The information provided suggests it would be an ideal remedy especially if it can balance oestrogen, act as an antispasmodic, enhance fertility problems and reduce anxiety and mood swings.

I appreciate any advice you may be able to share. Thank you in advance :o)

• I searched for an herb that helps alopecia. I had a bald spot about the size of an large orange in the top of my head. I found Dong Quai and decided to try it. I've been taking it 1 month and hair is growing back. It's also helping my menopause. I live in Mississippi where the temp gets in the 100's. Some nights I am able to sleep without the a/c going. Also, I've had anemia my entire life. My hemoglobin is normal now. I bought an extra bottle and gave it to a friend that has alopecia.
    Her hair is growing as well.

• Jessica I'm curious why your taking tribulus. It increases testosterone, if u have pcos you shouldn't be taking this

• Lemba what is the dosage of each pill

• I am currently goIng through menapouse and havIng bad hotflashes .And I like to know if I take dong quai will it make me feel dizzy and nausea.

• Contrary to what is stated above, Don Quai is highly recommended for women who have endometriosis as it helps regulate the oestrogen excess in the body. I have been taking it for years and it works wonders...

• Hi, I was wondering. I haven't had my period in a month, I'm thinking it's possibly stress. Have all the symptoms but still nothing. Can I take this to force it to come?? I'm worried that something could be wrong. I'm 33

• Dong Quai can be purchased online at jphealth.mynsp.com

• I have been taking Dong Quai capsules for almost a year, does it stop your period all together?

• hi, i have been taking don quai for a while now, and am experiencing diziness... blodtest is fine. i am very worried about it. Can dong quai be cause?

• Im 15 in half a year and im wondering if i can use it?
    My blood flow is low, i am stressed, cant learn good in school, i do have pms before and when im on my period and i want to live healthier! Could i use it?

• @Shawny, Hi, is started yesterday with DONG QUAI. I have the loose herbal. I have to take 4,5 gr each day,soak in hot water between 3 or 5 minutes.Taste?! TERRIBLE.
    My question to you is; do you know a way so it may taste more pleasant?
    Many thanks

• Grossly fibrosed uterus - Asherman's syndrome, no metrual period for three months, can dong quai cure it.

• I have been buying dried dong quai in capsule form trough swansonvitamis.com for years and it got me through menopause and continues today to help in keeping my blood pressure in check.

• I am 16 can I use dong quai?

• Just sharing: Dong Quai root can be bought at any herbal store, specifically Chinatown. I actually cook it with beef chucks (cut in pieces) or beef bone as SOUP, add potatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. It is very delicious, not to mention healthy (as mentioned above). One of the best soups you'd ever have. Note: for one pot, use only about 2 to 3 roots. If you like it stronger, add 1 or 2 more, but it may taste bitter if you put too much.

• I live in Newfoundland, Canada. I have been taking Dong Quai for many years, but can no longer find a source. Any suggestions? Would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Hi,
    Can Dong Quai be use for heavy menses with two to four days spot before the normal flow, blood clot,fibroid & flushing of vagina (For infection) if there is any.
    Is there anyone who have used it for this purpose ?
    please i need an urgent answer.
    Thanks.

• Hi, I am living in China and wondering how best to acquire this. Should I buy it at the pharmacy pre made or buy the root and take it to the little chinese medicine shops where they can make it for me? I want to try this as I have not had my period in a while and I also suffer from Psoriases so Im hoping it could help.. Thanks you!

• hi, i just read your article. i also read in a previous article that dong quai is use for ferlity cleansing of the uterus pls where can i get it in my country Nigeria

• can i have a menstrual flow, when taking Dong Quai capsule

• can i use Dong Qaui for treat of menstrual flow

• please i need your advice on how to go about my period because i do have all the symptom but the will not come for the past 6month. presently am on dong quai capsule. advice pls

• I read all of your questions. I don't think you can buy dong quai in Africa but you can order it online. The company Nature's Answer has high quality products. Oder from this company. I am not officiated with them /@ all.

Despite what is written in our western medicine dong quai does help shrink fibroids. So do take it. Also buy licorice root tablets by nature's answers.

Do not take dong quai if you are bleeding excessively. (Menstrual cycle)
    If your cycle is spotty then take dong quai sparingly as in 2 tablets in the morning. Two at night. THAT'S IT!

Dong quai is wonderful for menopausal symptoms. Your hormones get balanced. You lose weight and your libido goes back to your teen/twenties. Just your men and get your vibrators. (Seriously!)

• Hi I am trying to conceive for a year now, I need to know if Dong Quai can help me get pregnant soon, time is running and I really would like to have a baby before Mother Nature prevents me from doing so.
    Please help me!

• I am 35 yrs old I have a lot of illness. I recently had laprascopic surgery where they found and removed endometriosis. Following that surgery I had a total hysterectomy. My blood pressure was rising on the hormone premarrin so I quit taking them. Do you think "    DONG QUAI" would be afe for me to try since I once have had endometriosis

• Where can I get this drug in my country, Nigeria. Also will like to know if it available in United Kingdom if yes where and how much.

• Hi there,

I would like to know If any one has had any side effects taking Don quai, I have been haveing my menstruation continuosly for a month now and just recently taking Don Quai @2capsules with meal three times daily. My herbalist had prescribed me to take 28 capsules a day but am two scared to take this amount of pills.

Need some re assurance that it is safe.

• how long after i get off depo provera birth control shot can i take dong quai to regulate my cycle and hormones and all that ?

• is dong quai can help with pcos?wer can i find dong quai in phils?need some info.thankp

• Years ago, when I gave blood, I found out I was anemic. Someone suggested I use dong quai, because I had heavy periods, and anemia. I took it for three weeks, and never had a problem with anemia again.

• i also want to know where i can find Dong Quai in Botswana (Southren Africa)

• HI.I have hemochromotosis (to much iron in the blood.Would I be able to take this.

• i have high hormone imbalance is it safe to take dong quai i am currently taking caberologine

• i had a heavy period for 2 weeks straith last march 19 i went to doctor and gave me MEDROXYPROGESTERON 10 MG TAB for two week my bleeding stop after i took those pills..but 4 months now no period yet..can i take dong quia to have a period?

• i only started using dong quai but i feel dizzy and uncomfortable .is it normal?

• I'm using to concieve!!Do anyone knows anyone that Dong Quai helped to concieve?

• Hello i have just ordered some dong quai tablets which arrived yesterday. I also bought some tribulus terristris tablets as i have been researching and i can see both of these help with PCOS. I have never had regular periods and i have read both of these help with that also. Since starting tribulus last week i have come on my period straight away is this normal? and also am i allowed to take both dong quai and tribulus together??

• @Priscillah - You can e-mail me at leon@maximumnutrition.co.za for assistance

• Im curious as to why you cant use Dong Quai for fibroids when other sites Ive been on say I can??

Posted on Dec 30 at 2:19 pm

• hi am in botswana,in southren africa.where can i find Dong Quai?

Posted on Dec 1 at 11:13 pm

• hello
    thanks for this info.
    as stated above, it is unsafe to use dong quai
    to help balance hormone in order to shrink fibroid
    because ve just ordered some and I dnt know
    if I can use it for fibroid
    thanks