Search

The Way to BE

Is This Additive Contaminating the Water and Air in Your Home?

As it turns out, water treatment facilities may get rid of the infectious bugs in everyday tap water. However, in their place they leave behind harmful chemicals that can slowly cause the breakdown of respiratory health, gut integrity, and the immune system.

The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services has determined that the toxic exposure to compounds in water is greater during a shower than from drinking the same water.

These harmful toxins are the byproducts of disinfectants that public water facilities use to clean water. The most commonly used disinfectants are: 

  • Chlorine
  • Chloramine
  • Chlorine dioxide

While these disinfectants keep disease-causing microorganisms at bay, they also produce harmful byproducts. These byproducts, called disinfection byproducts (DBPs), can be one thousand times more toxic than chlorine!

Unfortunately, whenever we use tap water, we are absorbing these chemicals. This happens through:

  • The gut (when drinking or cooking with tap water)
  • The skin (through contact with tap water)
  • The lungs (as vapors that we inhale)

We Are All Affected by Disinfection Byproducts

Public water treatment facilities all use disinfectants in order to make tap water safe to drink. These disinfectants kill viruses, parasites, and disease-causing bacteria. Without water treatment facilities, we would all be at greater risk for infectious disease.

An innocent glass of tap water could expose you to countless disinfectants used to make water safe to drink. These disinfectants produce harmful byproducts that can be one thousand times more toxic when ingested!

While these disinfectants keep us safe from infectious disease, they also expose us to environmental stress. This environmental stress comes in the form of toxic compounds that contribute to the full spectrum of chronic disease.

As we mentioned earlier, chlorine is one of the most common disinfectants used. Another is chloramine.

Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia. Although it is referred to as monochloramine, chloramine is actually found in three different forms:

  1. Monochloramine
  2. Dichloramine
  3. Trichloramine

Depending on the temperature, turbulence, and pH of the water, these chloramines rapidly change into one another.

All chloramines are respiratory irritants. The most toxic form of chloramine is trichloramine.

Not only do the chloramines become toxic when they change form, but, like chlorine, chloramine can react with decaying plant matter in water and produce a toxin. In the case of chlorine, these byproducts are:

  • Trihalomethanes (THMs)
  • Haloacetic acids (HAAs)

While trihalomethanes (THMs) are also formed when chloramine is used as a disinfectant, the concentration is roughly one third less than chlorine. In 2000, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) confirmed rumors that THMs are carcinogenic with a three year long study.

Chloramine and Its Byproducts Are Even More Toxic When Inhaled

Drinking water is not the only way you can absorb toxic disinfection byproducts. You can inhale them too.

Chloramine vapors and its DBPs can accumulate inside the home. When this happens, we end up breathing air that carries concentrates of DBPs. For example, enclosed areas such as a shower stall, small bathroom, kitchen, or apartment are all places where DBPs levels in the air can build to toxic proportions.

Chloramine fumes can cause things like:

  • Sneezing
  • Congestion
  • Coughing
  • Wheezing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Asthma

According to one study, researchers saw an increase in deaths from the flu and pneumonia in populations using chloramine, rather than chlorine, as a disinfectant. This is because chloramine vapors can damage the lungs, making the body more susceptible to infection and allergens.

One Belgium study found an increase in asthma in school children that had been exposed to disinfected swimming pools. Chloramine damages mucus membranes, and it has been found that the lung damage in those exposed to chloramine vapors in indoor pool air is similar to that seen in regular smokers.

When we inhale chloraminated vapor, the toxic compounds enter the bloodstream directly through the lungs. This mechanism bypasses the digestive tract, where much of the toxicity can be neutralized.

When chloramines bind with red blood cells, the hemoglobin in red blood cells is no longer able to carry oxygen.

In fact, the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services has determined that the toxic exposure to compounds in water is greater during a shower than from drinking the same water.

Your Healthiest Options for Clean Water

Even though removing chlorine from water is far easier than removing chloramine, water suppliers are increasingly turning toward chloramine as a disinfectant. This is because chlorine and its byproducts have been studied longer than chloramine, and we know about its harmful side effects. Like, for example, the definite link that was found between trihalomethanes (THMs) and cancer.

So what can you do?

The best way to avoid chloramine and its byproducts is to install a filter to purify your drinking water. A water filter can eliminate virtually all of the drugs and DBPs.

In order to also protect your lungs and skin and to ensure that activities like showering and bathing are safe, a whole house filtration system is necessary to remove chloramine and ammonia from tap water.

What To Remember Most About This Article:

Water treatment facilities are used to rid tap water of infectious bugs, but they can leave a range of harmful chemicals behind that can affect respiratory health, digestive health, and even the immune system.

When we encounter tap water by drinking, showering, or inhaling vapors, we risk exposure to common disinfectants like chlorine, chloramine, and chlorine dioxide. These disinfectants make tap water safe to drink, but they expose each of us to environmental stress from toxic compounds.

Specifically, the disinfectant chloramine and its byproducts become even more toxic when inhaled in an enclosed area at home, like the shower, bathroom, or kitchen. This inhalation could lead to long term damage of the mucous membranes, similar to what is seen in regular smokers!

To keep your family safe from harmful chemicals found in tap water, it's critical to install a whole water filtration system to purify not only your drinking water but also water used for showering and bathing to protect your lungs and skin.


Want more articles like this?

Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, the BE Blueprint, and tips from Donna and her team.




  • Comment with Facebook
  • Comment as a Guest
  • Holly

    I would like to learn of chlorine's effects on neurological processing. Does it destroy the amino acids like choline (which helps your focus and remember) or destroy the omega oils that transport the nutrients to the brain and feed the nerves? Any feedback on that?

  • cheri brewer

    What whole house filter system do you recommend?

  • Water Consultants

    These chemicals harm us only when they are used in excessive amount in the water. If they are in limit, then they only work as cleaning agent and won't produce any side-effect. The water supplying authorities must check the ratio of these chemicals in a proper and calculative way, so that they don't become the reason of any disease.

  • Marco

    what is the harmful by product of Chlorine Dioxide?

  • http://www.kimshackleford.com Kim Shackleford

    What home water filter system do you recommend?

  • Barbara

    What filter system do you recommend? This article is interesting but not all whole house filters are good and it takes hours to sort through the web and then call each company to see about chloramine.
    Thanks

  • mrbumpas

    Sodium Thiosulphate removes chlorine from water instantly and breaks down into harmless sulfur compounds. Literature published by " IMVA Publications" has the info on how to use properly.

Community Poll

What Health Topics Are You Most Interested In?

Newsletter

Information and statements regarding dietary supplements/products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Information on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is a result of years of practice and experience by the author. This information is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information on this website for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal, or homeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your healthcare provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read on this website.

Please wait...

Continue shopping
View cart & checkout
Continue shopping
View cart & checkout