It's springtime! Everything is blooming and in a state of renewal, so take a cue from nature and commit this spring to rejuvenating your body, Body Ecology style.
Body Ecology is the system of health and healing that gives you a vibrant inner ecosystem and strong immunity.
Your inner ecosystem is made of beneficial bacteria and yeast (probiotics) that live in your intestines, keeping you healthy and strong. But if you feel sluggish, have bowel disorders, are bloated and carrying extra weight, or have frequent colds or flu, then your inner ecosystem might be out of balance.
Body Ecology can help you cleanse your body and get the balance right! In this article, we are outlining the 7 steps to great health: 7 Principles and 7 Healing Superfoods! This will help you get an understanding about what's on Body Ecology and why it works. In part 2 of this series, we will show you how to put it all together.
Body Ecology's 7 Principles
The 7 Principles of the Body Ecology system are a great place to start on your journey to health.
- The Principle of Expansion and Contraction encourages you to balance more contractive foods like meats, eggs and sea salt with more expansive foods like high-quality fats, sour fruits and land, ocean and cultured vegetables.
- The Principle of Acid and Alkaline recommends maintaining a slightly alkaline blood pH of 7.4 by consuming foods and drinks that are alkalizing in your body.Lifestyle changes that reduce stress are also vital for keeping your blood more alkaline because cortisol raises blood sugar (acid-forming) and leaches alkaline-forming minerals from your body.
- The Principle of Uniqueness maintains that everyone is "an experiment of one." Your body is completely unique, and as you experiment with different ways of eating, honor your body's wisdom.
- The Principle of Cleansing. As you begin to rejuvenate your body with healthy foods and drinks, your body's energy will increase causing continual, ongoing cleansing. Embrace these cleansings as they come and go, even if you experience an uncomfortable flare up of negative symptoms. They will pass as you continue on your path to wellness.
- The Principle of Food Combining is essential to proper digestion. By avoiding starches and proteins in the same meal, you create an environment in your digestive tract that promotes optimal digestion. Read more about this principle in Food Combining: The Little-Understood Secret to Optimal Weight & Health Revealed.
- The Principle of 80/20 really has two parts and tells us how much food to take in each meal. Part A: Never consume more than 80% of your stomach's capacity). Part B: Be mindful of the ratio of vegetables to starches or proteins. An ideal meal is 80% vegetables and only 20% either grains, our BED grain-like seeds OR protein.
- The Principle of Step by Step indicates that you can take the slow and steady approach to changing your diet and your lifestyle. Body Ecology is a system of health and healing with many tools for wellness. You can't pick them all up at once. Choose the tool or tools that appeal to you the most and work on mastering these first. When you are comfortable with that tool, pick up another one. But never stop stepping towards wellness!!
For more on the 7 Principles of the Body Ecology Diet read A Review of the 7 Key Healthy Eating Principles as You Enter 2007.
7 Body Ecology Do's: The 7 Superfoods
Follow these 7 Body Ecology "Do's" to start your spring cleaning:
- DO Vegetables from the Land and Ocean: include healthy organic vegetables and ocean vegetables into your diet (remember the rule of 80/20...80% of your meal should be vegetables).
- DO Fermented Foods and Drinks: These amazing probiotic-rich foods and drinks improve digestion, stop sugar cravings, provide essential vitamins and minerals and boost your immunity. Fermented foods and drinks populate your gut with the beneficial bacteria and yeast (microflora, also called probiotics) that keep you healthy. In fact, they kept our ancestors (in almost every culture) healthy years ago and now you can discover the benefits for yourself!
- Cultured Vegetables are one of the healthiest fast food snacks and makes the perfect accompaniment to your meals.
- Probiotic Liquids are an easy, delicious way to repopulate your gut with healthy probiotics and enhance your appearance. Young Coconut Kefir is a great example that you can make at home. If you don't want to search out and crack those coconuts, we have convenient CocoBiotic, a delicious probiotic liquid with all the benefits of Young Coconut Kefir and more! Learn more about probiotic liquids by reading: Which Type of Probiotic Liquid Should You Choose?
- DO Healthy Proteins like organic pasture fed meat and poultry and wild fish. The article Good Meats vs. Bad Meats: Your Definitive Guide to How to Choose the Healthiest Meat shows you how to be sure you eat meat that supports your health. Nuts and seeds are great sources of protein, just be sure to soak them first. For more, read: How to Eat - and NOT Eat - Almonds.
- DO Body Ecology Grain-Like Seeds and Fiber including quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth and millet. When you follow the Body Ecology program, including our recommended grain-like seeds, you can be sure you're obtaining the fiber you need for excellent health and cleansing. For more, read: The Risks of Consuming Typical Grains & the Healthy Grains to Choose Instead.
- DO A Range of Healthy Fats and Oils are a must for your healthy diet. Organic unrefined fats and oils provide essential fatty acids that improve your skin, your brain power and your mood. They also provide energy, satiety and help boost immunity. For more, read:Why The Processing of Consumable Oils Has Devastated America's Health.
- DO Green Drinks, especially first thing in the morning. Our Vitality SuperGreen is the perfect green drink for healing your gut, while boosting your energy. Vitality SuperGreen can play an important role in bringing your blood back to its desired alkaline state. For more information on green drinks, read: Are You at Peak "Vitality?" Answer these Three Key Questions.
- DO Healthy Natural Sweets and Medicinal Condiments. Eliminate sugar slowly from your diet so that you are not eating sugar, honey, corn syrup, brown rice syrup, molasses or other sweeteners. You can include healthy natural alternatives that don't feed candida or spike your blood sugar, like Stevia. For more reasons NOT to eat sugar, read: The 25 Key Reasons You Want to Dramatically Reduce or Avoid Sugar in Your Diet.
- What About Fruit? Most fruit is too sweet and feeds candida, upsetting the balance of your healthy inner ecosyste. Instead, DO include these sour fruits, eaten alone on an empty stomach (you can use lemon or lime squeezed over fish, however): unsweetened lemons, limes, black currants and cranberries.
- Sea Salt is not the poisonous white table salt you may have grown up with. Learn more about why to avoid common table salt and how to include the healing benefits of sea salt in your diet by reading: Salt: What You Don't Know Can Harm You - and What You Should Do Instead.
Getting Started: Change Your Habits, Change Your Life
Body Ecology's system of health and healing is not a diet...it's a system of health and of healing. We like to think of it as a way of life. After decades of seeing results from our clients and customers, we know it works.
And yes, systems are sometimes complex because they require learning new principles and developing new habits. But just like any new skill, the investment you make in learning pays off in high dividends.
With Body Ecology, you are cultivating your health, vitality and immunity. Is there anything more important when it comes to living a happy, productive life?
Begin by slowly incorporating Body Ecology principles into your lifestyle (step by step!). Get started today by stocking your kitchen with the 7 healing superfoods and essential kitchen tools. and get ready for renewed energy, strong immunity and feeling better than ever!
Now that you know the basics for what's on the Body Ecology program, stay tuned for our upcoming guide on how to put it all together and make it work for you!
Want more articles like this?
Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, the BE Blueprint, and tips from Donna and her team.