Search

The Way to BE

The 20 Health Benefits of Real Butter

Are you worried about your health? Contrary to popular belief, completely eliminating butter from your diet may be BAD for your health! Learn all the benefits of eating butter here!

The origins of butter go back thousands of years to when our ancestors first started domesticating animals. In fact, the first written reference to butter was found on a 4500- year old limestone tablet illustrating how butter was made.1

In India, ghee (clarified butter) has been used as a staple food, and as a symbol of purity, worthy of offering to the gods in religious ceremonies for more than 3000 years.2

The Bible has references to butter as the product of milk from the cow, and of Abraham setting butter and milk from a calf before three angels who appeared to him on the plains of Mamre.3

For millennia, people around the globe have prized butter for its health benefits.

So how did butter become a villain in the quest for good health?

At the turn of our century, heart disease in America was rare. By 1960, it was our number one killer. Yet during the same time period, butter consumption had decreased - from eighteen pounds per person per year, to four.4

A researcher named Ancel Keys was the first to propose that saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet were to blame for coronary heart disease (CAD).

Numerous subsequent studies costing hundreds of millions of dollars, have failed to conclusively back up this claim.5

Yet the notion that a healthy diet is one with minimal fat, particularly saturated fat, has persisted. While Americans drastically reduced their intake of natural animal fats like butter and meat, the processed food industry, particularly the low-fat food industry, proliferated.

When the baby boomers were children, concerned mothers began to replace butter with margarine. The margarine manufacturers told them it was the healthier alternative and mothers believed them. In those days no one asked, "where is the science to prove it? I want to know before I give this man-made, plastized stuff to my children. After all we humans have been eating butter for thousands of years?".

As a result, since the early 1970's, Americans' average saturated fat intake has dropped considerably, while rates of obesity, diabetes, and consequently, heart disease, have surged.

Reducing healthy sources of dietary fat has contributed to a serious decline in our well-being, and those of us that speak out against the anti-fat establishment are still largely ignored .

Is Margarine Better than Butter?

No! This is a tragic myth. Butter is a completely natural food essential to your health - especially when you eat organic. Also, please make the extra effort to obtain high-quality organic, raw butter.

Margarines, on the other hand, are a processed food, created chemically from refined polyunsaturated oils. The process used to make these normally liquid oils into spread-able form is called hydrogenation.

Margarine and similar hydrogenated or processed polyunsaturated oils are potentially more detrimental to your health than any saturated fat.7For more information on why you should avoid all processed oils read Why the Processing of Consumable Oils Has Devastated America's Health.

Include Real Butter as part of Your Body Ecology Lifestyle

As many of you already know, I am a strong proponent of including a variety of healthy oils and fats into your diet. Together they work as a team to supply your body with essential fatty acids for longevity, hormone balance, heart health, sharp vision, glowing moist skin and energy. The wonderful variety of oils and fats certainly includes organic, preferably raw butter. Cultured raw butter is even better.

And why would I be so insistent that you eat butter? Take a look at the long list of the benefits you receive when you include it in your diet:8

1. Butter is rich in the most easily absorbable form of Vitamin A necessary for thyroid and adrenal health.
  2. Contains lauric acid, important in treating fungal infections and candida.
  3. Contains lecithin, essential for cholesterol metabolism.
  4. Contains anti-oxidants that protect against free radical damage.
  5. Has anti-oxidants that protect against weakening arteries.
  6. Is a great source of Vitamins E and K.
  7. Is a very rich source of the vital mineral selenium.
  8. Saturated fats in butter have strong anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
  9. Butter contains conjugated linoleic acid, which is a potent anti-cancer agent, muscle builder, and immunity booster
  10. Vitamin D found in butter is essential to absorption of calcium.
  11. Protects against tooth decay.
  12. Is your only source of an anti-stiffness factor, which protects against calcification of the joints.
  13. Anti-stiffness factor in butter also prevents hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and calcification of the pineal gland.
  14. Is a source of Activator X, which helps your body absorb minerals.
  15. Is a source of iodine in highly absorbable form.
  16. May promote fertility in women.9
  17. Is a source of quick energy, and is not stored in our bodies adipose tissue.
  18. Cholesterol found in butterfat is essential to children's brain and nervous system development.
  19. Contains Arachidonic Acid (AA) which plays a role in brain function and is a vital component of cell membranes.
  20. Protects against gastrointestinal infections in the very young or the elderly.

Raw, Organic Butter is the Best

Believe me this is only a partial list. If a woman is pregnant, hopes to become pregnant or is nursing her baby, I think it should even become a law for her to eat butter for her baby's developing brain, bones and teeth.

The best butter you can eat is raw, organic butter because pasteurization destroys nutrients. Unfortunately, the sale of raw butter is prohibited in most of our 50 states.

Are you finding it difficult to get organic, raw butter? Don't worry! Making your own delicious cultured butter with Body Ecology Culture Starter is an easy way to get on the right track towards health

You can, however, make your own healthy butter, and it is easier than you think. Look into our Body Ecology Culture Starter, which you simply add to organic cream. After letting this mixture sit at room temperature for 24 hours, chill it, beat it with a whisk, and voila! You'll have healthy, probiotic butter that is delicious!

Cultured butter is full of health sustaining good bacteria like lactobacillus planterum, and lactococcus lactis. These microflora are essential for a healthy inner ecosystem.

Sources of Healthy Butter

If you don't want to culture your own butter, I recommend butter from grass-fed animals only. A good source is U.S. Wellness Meats.

I also recommend Activator X and Vitamin rich butter oil, made by Green Pastures.

Heart Healthy-the Body Ecology Way

Completely eliminating butter and other healthy animal source fats is NOT the Body Ecology way. It is not how our ancestors thrived, and not what nature intended.

How much should you eat each day? Like sea salt, your own body will tell you how much to eat. If you crave it, eat it, your body needs it. If the quality is excellent you can feel confident it will be good for you and you'll soon see the benefits yourself. If you are following the Body Ecology Food Combining Principle and eating as we recommend (adding at least one source of fermented food or drink to your diet) you will see your body reach its idea weight. The raw butter will help you develop beautiful muscles.

The Body Ecology program is gaining recognition for being a premier way of healing candida and other immune dysfunctions. And what's more, it's a heart-healthy, super-slimming, anti-aging way of life, which is crucial to your health as a whole.

Sources:

1. History of Butter
  2. "Butter" from
  3. Princely Packets of Golden Health
  4. Why Butter is Better
  5. The Soft Science of Dietary Fat, Science Magazine, March 2001
  6. Ibid
  7. Polyunsaturated Oils Increase Cancer Risk
  8. From The Skinny on Fats
    and Why Butter is Better
  9. http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html
  10. Fertility Awareness, Food, and Night-lighting
    http://www.westonaprice.org/women/fertility.html and
    High Fat Dairy May Boost Fertility

Want more articles like this?

Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, weekly articles, and tips from Donna and her team.

I'm most interested in:

77 thoughts on “The 20 Health Benefits of Real Butter”

• Truly Amazing Information Thank You

• please don't perpetuate the myth that pasteurization somehow harms the nutritional value of food. it's fine if you want to eat untreated food that makes you sick, but you shouldn't tell people it's better that way.

• Moderation in all. Try stir frying brussel sprouts in butter and garlic. Add a touch of water for last fews min. of cook time. Yummy!

• Sourav Sarkar Feb 17 at 8:34 pm

nice thanks

• Pedram Shokouh Jan 9 at 6:00 am

The following text was written in reaction to the recent wave of layman interpretation of published research on the relationship between saturated fatty acids and the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Surprisingly, most of the content writers made a definitive conclusion based on a single or a few published analyses of observational research that people have to return to the tasty animal fat like butter in order to make their diet healthy and bulletproof!
    The paper under question (PMID: 20071648) that many books and websites brought forward as undisputable evidence of superiority of saturated fatty acid sources over the unsaturated ones has been subject to serious criticism by several groups of scientists for having a number of statistical and methodological shortcomings (PMID: 20534745, PMID: 20534750, PMID: 20130097). These comments, if fairly taken into consideration, would challenge any recommendations made based on the above-mentioned paper’s conclusions. The same goes to another observational study showing null association (PMID: 26268692) that was as well utterly criticized (PMID: 26559163). These two papers may at most raise a call for more long-term interventional evidence that has to be produced in the future. Since then any nutritional guideline has to be based on the best available evidence and expert opinion summarized below.
    The association between saturated fatty acids and cardiovascular diseases have been indicated by several observational and interventional (PMID: 20351774) studies including a meta-analysis of 60 clinical trials (PMID: 12716665) and is not at all limited to a few old questionable studies. A Cochrane database systematic Review (PMID: 26068959), which is a credible source of medical reviews, concluded that the reduction of saturated fat intake results in a small but potentially important reduction in cardiovascular risk, and that "lifestyle advice to all those at risk of cardiovascular disease and to lower risk population groups should continue to include permanent reduction of dietary saturated fat and partial replacement by unsaturated fats". Another group of researchers repeated the same recommendations as the safest approach considering the full range of available evidence in a commentary on the Cochrane review (PMID: 26453280).
    We need to understand that in experimental sciences multiple levels of evidence from in-vitro studies to randomized-controlled clinical trials exist, and generating dietary guidelines needs careful consideration of each and all levels up to their validity and applicability. Needless to say that such a task needs strong background and is far more complex than something web content writers or journalists can accomplish (https://authoritynutrition.com/7-reasons-why-butter-is-good-for-you).

• Thank you dairy industry for sponsoring this article but I go with science and have eliminated all dairy products from my daily diet. It might not be the cholesterol, choline, animal protein, toxins or casein but whatever it is, being a male I do not need to increase the probability of prostate cancer or heart disease.

• Dr Kakudu West Jan 12 at 6:49 pm

I am Christabella from New York. I was in trouble when the doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Genital Herpes… I though about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I’m gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found Dr. Kakudu contact number. I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. Kakudu herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr. Kakudu and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on drkakuduwesthealingcenter@gmail.com OR dr.kakuduwesthealingtemple@outlook.com you can also reach him on his mobile number (+2349081160306).

Doctor Kakudu CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    HIV/AIDS,HERPES,CANCER,ALS

• Diana Michael Jul 13 at 2:34 pm

My name is Carol Anderson, I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who helped me in my life. I was infected with CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE in 2010, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after four weeks the CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE that was in my body got cured . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at ogboduherbalhivcure@gmail.com OR ogboduspellhome@gmail.com OR ogboduherbalhome@hotmail.com
    ^^^

• Hassan Morsy Dec 23 at 11:05 pm

Look, this absolutely works and will nourish the hell out of you whilst allowing you to lose a tonne of body fat BUT that is only if you completely avoid sugar and white carbs. Fat is essential for optimal health and brain function (our brains our 60% fat) and the high carb diet proposed after Ancel Keys's 'Lipid Hypothosis' nonsense has effectively resulted in decades of people growing up over fed and under nourished. Animal fats also provide a lot of cholesterol which is essential for making sex hormones so guys can expect to feel more virile from all the extra testosterone and women who have been struggling with conception may well benefit from consuming more fat. So, a high fat, low carb diet is absolutely the best kind of diet for your health but the worst for the health of doctors, pharmaceutical and processed food companies. Ask yourself what you want more: a life of epicurean indulgence and disease, or a more restricted (though entirely delicious) diet and the physical energy and mental clarity to truly go out and achieve whatever you want in life.

• Mary Titus Sep 18 at 9:24 am

I eat butter daily. Several years ago, when I thought that margarine was the healthier fat, I stocked up on the cheaper alternative. What I did not realize was there is not alternative to butter. Now, although it is considerably more expensive than margarine, I am healthier because of this animal produced saturated fat. I have perfect lipid numbers, my glucose is well controlled, no inflammation and I am happy as punch. I have many friends whose diets reject butter, coconut oil and other saturated fats because they continue to believe the mantra that repeats the dangers of the most important nutrient that we consume. Yet, they are depressed, inactive. They have achy joints , uncontrolled blood glucose. I can't tell you how many friends are dealing with cancer and thyroid issues. They all subscribe to the idea that the less fat , the better. One thing that they do know, is I enjoy my butter, cream, coconut oil, whole eggs and I am thriving. They are afraid of my diet, but they envy my health as I get closer to 60. Ain't that a kick in the head ?