- Non GMO
- Dairy Free
- Soy Free
- Gluten Free
Please Refrigerate Once Received!
Kefir has many benefits including better digestion of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, and has been known for thousands of years for its anti-aging and immune enhancing properties.
Kefir is an ancient cultured food rich in amino acids, enzymes, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and B vitamins. Kefir means "feel good" in Turkish, and that's just how you'll feel after drinking a glass in the morning! Easy and fun to make at home, it is superior to commercial yogurt. An absolute must after antibiotic use!
Unlike yogurt, kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract and is simple and fun to make at home.
Body Ecology Kefir Starter contains the following beneficial bacteria:
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. diacetylactis,
- Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
- Lactobacillus kefyr (thermophilic)
- Saccaromyces Boulardii
- Kluyveromyces marxianus
- Non-GMO dextrose as a carrier (consumed during fermentation)
Contains 6 packets which can be used an average of 7 times each. 6 tablespoons of previous batch will ferment 1 quart of liquid.
To activate starter for initial usage:
- Into container (preferably glass with lid), mix together the entire contents of one foil package of kefir starter and one quart of slightly warmed milk (about skin temperature or 92 degrees).
- Shake, stir or whip with a whisk to mix well. Put lid on container.
- Let this mixture ferment at 72-75 F for 18-24 hours for milk, 24-48 hours for coconut water and some others. (You will notice it is ready if the milk has thickened and has a distinctive, sour fragrance. Final consistency is pourable but not "eat with a spoon" thick.) Coconut water will not thicken like milk, only become cloudy and much less sweet.
- Shake or stir vigorously and place into the refrigerator. Even in your refrigerator the fermentation process continues, but chilling will slow down the fermentation of the healthy bacteria and beneficial yeast.
Directions for transferring kefir after the initial batch has been made and directions for making kefir cheese are included on packaging.
Donna Gates recommends adding kefir starter to the liquid found inside the young, green coconut.
Kefir is traditionally made with cow's milk, but can be made with soy, coconut, rice, goat, or sheep milk (other varieties of milk yield a more watery kefir than cow's milk).
Kefir is a wonderful addition to smoothies!
Shelf life is 12 months from the manufactured date, or longer when stored in a freezer.
- Non GMO
- Dairy Free
- Soy Free
- Gluten Free
Convenient and Tasty9/14/14
I have kefir grains but i like having the BE kefir starter around as backup. I actually like the way it tastes better than with the grains.
Can't live without it!9/3/14
I have been using this for over a year and I LOVE it! Can't live without it!
Love this product9/2/14
I use this to make coconut milk kefir as my family doesn't tolerate dairy. It works every time. It's SO easy to use. It tastes great. My kids love it too. We use it over cereal, as a sour cream substitute, and in our smoothies. I always have a back up box of kefir starter in my cupboard so that I don't run out if I forget to order another box. I always have a bottle of coconut kefir in my fridge now.
This is a excellent product. I would recommend to buy this for people who suffer from Candida. I am able to drink Milk now by making Kefir. Thanks to Body Ecology.
Not sure about this product??8/30/14
My daugher is autistic and she has problems with sleeping and gut issues......sleeping still an issue snd so is the gas and stomach bloating. Digestion problems still but may be do to something else. Not sure if this product works so give it only a fair rating.
Worked well for a first time kefir maker8/30/14
By D J
A friend recommended the Body Ecology kefir starter to me. I've never made kefir before buying this, and I have to say it was easy and turned out really well. It's much cheaper than buying it in the store.
I've tried other kefir starters however this is the one that doesn't have any negative intestinal side effects for me and the kefir comes out wonderfully every time.
so far so good8/22/14
Ive been using it for a coupe weeks. At first nothing happened when I added it to the coconut water, but then I heated it more, added honey, let it sit 2 days and it came out with a nice fizz and slightly beer like flavor. Its good chilled. I miss the variety of flavors with kombucha so i need some ways to flavor it. does it work with juices?
I love it.....my 13 yr old daughter loves it. We blend it it with fruit for a smootjie