- Non GMO
- Dairy Free
- Soy Free
- Gluten Free
Please Refrigerate Once Received!
Kefir has many benefits including better digestion of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, and has been known for thousands of years for its anti-aging and immune enhancing properties.
Kefir is an ancient cultured food rich in amino acids, enzymes, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and B vitamins. Kefir means "feel good" in Turkish, and that's just how you'll feel after drinking a glass in the morning! Easy and fun to make at home, it is superior to commercial yogurt. An absolute must after antibiotic use!
Unlike yogurt, kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract and is simple and fun to make at home.
Body Ecology Kefir Starter contains the following beneficial bacteria:
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. diacetylactis,
- Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
- Lactobacillus kefyr (thermophilic)
- Saccaromyces Boulardii
- Kluyveromyces marxianus
- Non-GMO dextrose as a carrier (consumed during fermentation)
Contains 6 packets which can be used an average of 7 times each. 6 tablespoons of previous batch will ferment 1 quart of liquid.
To activate starter for initial usage:
- Into container (preferably glass with lid), mix together the entire contents of one foil package of kefir starter and one quart of slightly warmed milk (about skin temperature or 92 degrees).
- Shake, stir or whip with a whisk to mix well. Put lid on container.
- Let this mixture ferment at 72-75 F for 18-24 hours for milk, 24-48 hours for coconut water and some others. (You will notice it is ready if the milk has thickened and has a distinctive, sour fragrance. Final consistency is pourable but not "eat with a spoon" thick.) Coconut water will not thicken like milk, only become cloudy and much less sweet.
- Shake or stir vigorously and place into the refrigerator. Even in your refrigerator the fermentation process continues, but chilling will slow down the fermentation of the healthy bacteria and beneficial yeast.
Directions for transferring kefir after the initial batch has been made and directions for making kefir cheese are included on packaging.
Donna Gates recommends adding kefir starter to the liquid found inside the young, green coconut.
Kefir is traditionally made with cow's milk, but can be made with soy, coconut, rice, goat, or sheep milk (other varieties of milk yield a more watery kefir than cow's milk).
Kefir is a wonderful addition to smoothies!
Shelf life is 12 months from the manufactured date, or longer when stored in a freezer.
- Non GMO
- Dairy Free
- Soy Free
- Gluten Free
I've tried other kefir starters however this is the one that doesn't have any negative intestinal side effects for me and the kefir comes out wonderfully every time.
so far so good8/22/14
Ive been using it for a coupe weeks. At first nothing happened when I added it to the coconut water, but then I heated it more, added honey, let it sit 2 days and it came out with a nice fizz and slightly beer like flavor. Its good chilled. I miss the variety of flavors with kombucha so i need some ways to flavor it. does it work with juices?
I love it.....my 13 yr old daughter loves it. We blend it it with fruit for a smootjie
Wonderful product, prompt shipping, exceeded the expectations!! I have made some delicious Kefir and very happy about it, will continue to purchase more8/21/14
I am very happy with the kefir culture I have purchased through Body Ecology. I'm a dedicated customer now!
Don't use dairy products so had a hard toime culturing it in non dairy milk.8/18/14
By Mary Lou
Didn't understand how to get the "lactose: in the culture to make it work in a non dairy milk. Liked the taste but not sure if it was cultured enough. Wish the instructions were more explicit. Had no side effects but didn't have any digestive changes either. Just to see if it made any difference I bought some organic full fat milk and using the already made culture I tried a new jar. Worked like a champ. Has to be the lactose in the milk. Don't know how to solve this problem since I follow a nutritarian diet.
Great taste. My skin improved and my kids have been falling asleep better. Plus and plus!
The product worked as stated. I love it for it's ease and practicality. TY
By Healthy Annie
I love this Kefir Starter. The instructions make it easy for me to start Kefir with any base that I want, including dairy, coconut water and I've also used it to make fermented vegetables.
I have been making coconut kefir and we are totally addicted. It is so so good, and I love how I feel when I drink it. I believe the best is to come. I thank you every day Donna Gates.