Butternut Squash and Potato Mash Recipe
- 1 large butternut squash (approx. 2 lbs.), halved length-wise and seeded
- 1 pound potatoes – any kind, peeled or unpeeled
- 1 T sea salt
- 4 T unsalted raw butter (raw, when possible)
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place squash cut side down on baking sheet.
- Pour 1 cup water in bottom of pan, and place in oven to roast 40-45 minutes until flesh of squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven, and set aside.
- Steam or boil potatoes, and add 1 tsp. salt. When tender, remove from heat and drain.
- When squash is just cool enough to touch, scoop flesh from skin, and combine with potatoes.
- Melt butter in small sauté pan, and add rosemary and thyme. Simmer approximately 1 minute until herbs release aroma.
- Add butter, herbs, and remaining salt to squash and potatoes.
- Use either electric beater or potato masher, and mash all ingredients together until they are smooth and well combined. You may choose to leave it chunky if you are leaving skins on the potatoes.
- Serve warm.
Yields 6-8 servings.