How Candida Creates Toxicity and Turns Sugar into a Drug
Those of us who have chosen to explore the Body Ecology Diet know from first-hand experience the effects of systemic Candida, immune sensitivity, and whole-body inflammatory response.
Let’s face it, the more you know about your own body, the more empowered you are.
Body Ecology’s Vitality SuperGreen is a gut-healing superhero. It contains 10 times more glutamine than L-glutamine to strengthen the gut against toxic Candida.
As a consumer of food, pharmaceutical or botanical medications, treatment therapy, and dietary supplements, you have some choices to make. When making these choices, it is useful to have a basic understanding of what is happening in your own body.
There are many primary healthcare providers who do not yet understand how central diet is to health. You may even need to introduce the diet that you are on to your doctor, explaining the differences that you feel in your own body while on the Body Ecology Diet. Whether you have an autoimmune condition, frequent colds, general lethargy and brain fog, joint pain, or a skin condition, something led you to explore the connection between food and your body.
How Toxic Candida Symptoms Can Destroy Your Health
In his book, Biological Treatment for Autism and PDD, Dr. William Shaw explains how systemic yeast infection actually produces a toxin called gliotoxins:1
- Gliotoxins poison the immune system by fragmenting the DNA of macrophages and T-lymphocytes. These white blood cells are very important elements involved in immune response.
- Gliotoxins inactivate the sulfhydryl (thiol) group of proteins, which are necessary to support a wide variety of enzymes.
- Gliotoxins generate free radicals.
Glutathione (GSH) is the main intracellular thiol antioxidant.
Therefore, it protects sulfhydryl group proteins and also protects the body against free radical damage. Not only that, glutathione has been implicated in the TH1/TH2 cytokine response pattern.2,3 This means that pro-GSH molecules represent new therapeutic agents that support immune modulation.
Glutathione plays many protective roles in the body:
- Alleviates some of the effects of gliotoxin poisoning.
- Is one of the most powerful antioxidants in the body.
- Modulates immune system (TH1/TH2) and inflammatory response (involves TH17).
- Assists in detoxifying the body of heavy metals, especially mercury.
- Recently suggested to play a role in strengthening the gut barrier and preventing intestinal inflammation.4
4 Things You Need to Know About Glutathione
Here are a few more key points to remember:
- L-Glutamine is important for the generation of glutathione. Once transported into the cell, it is converted to glutamate and available for intracellular glutathione synthesis.5
- Body Ecology Vitality SuperGreen offers a covalently-bonded glutamine, Glutimmune. Covalently-bonded glutamine is incredibly stable and offers 10 times more glutamine than L-glutamine!
- The Chinese herb cordyceps has been recently found to activate glutathione synthesis in the body. Research has shown that this herb, traditionally used in Chinese Medicine to build yang energetic force in the body, also protects cells by engaging the glutathione enzyme cycle!
- Gliotoxins are not the only harmful byproduct of systemic yeast infection. In the 1970s, Dr. Orian Truss suggested that Candida living in the intestinal tract produces toxins that affect the entire body. According to Dr. Truss, acetaldehyde is one of the most important toxic byproducts of Candida.
The Reason Behind Your Sugar Addiction
Acetaldehyde comes from ethanol and is responsible for the feeling of a hangover after drinking.
It also is found in exhaust fumes from cars and in cigarette smoke. It is normally present in the body at small levels and easily converted to acetate to be used in cellular energy production. If there is too much acetaldehyde (for example, from Candida overgrowth or die-off) and/or a nutritional deficiency, toxicity develops.
If you have adequate amounts of glutamine, selenium, B3 (niacin), folic acid, B6, B12, iron, and the trace element molybdenum, acetaldehydes continue to be metabolized into acetate, which can be excreted or converted further into acetyl coenzyme A.
If these nutrients are in poor supply, acetaldehydes begin collecting in the body’s tissues:
- An excess of acetaldehyde in the body eventually creates a deficiency in vitamin B1 (thiamine). Thiamine is often called the “nerve vitamin” because of its role in proper brain and nerve function. A lack of thiamine can lead to acetylcholine deficiency. Acetylcholine is an important neurotransmitter related to our memory, and severe deficiency has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Not only that, but excess acetaldehyde affects the structure of red blood cells, making them less flexible, as well as the integrity of the dendrites of the brain cells.
- Acetaldehyde also promotes addiction. Acetaldehyde has the tendency to link up with serotonin and dopamine and produce beta-carboline and salsolinol, respectively. These compounds are interrelated and inter-convertible; they are as addictive as opiates! These opiate-like biochemicals explain why sugar is so addictive to those who have systemic Candida.
How to Beat Sugar Addiction by Curbing Candida Overgrowth
Toxicity produced by Candida overgrowth creates a vicious cycle that is hard to break. If you find it difficult, and even impossible, to give up your daily sugar fix, toxic Candida byproducts could be to blame. While the outlook may seem bleak—restoring gut health and fighting Candida overgrowth can bring balance back to your body. Once the delicate balance of your inner ecology is restored, sugar cravings can subside.
You can beat sugar addiction by stopping Candida in its tracks—using three helpful tips:
- Get rid of sugar in your diet. This step may seem like a no-brainer, but it makes the most sense. Sugar in the diet, from processed foods, sweets, and even starchy vegetables, will feed Candida. Candida toxins will feed sugar addiction. While the Body Ecology Diet recommends removing all excess sugar and sweet fruits, a natural sugar substitute like stevia can be used that is 300 times sweeter than table sugar.
- Restore good bacteria in the gut. It almost sounds too easy, but eating fermented vegetables and drinking probiotic beverages each day is enough to boost your gut with friendly bacteria. Research confirms that healthy levels of good bacteria in the intestinal tract could naturally reduce levels of harmful Candida.6
- Treat with antifungal herbs and essential oils. Natural antifungals are gentle yet potent enough to keep Candida in check. Powerful antifungal essential oils like lemongrass and clove have been scientifically proven to fight Candida overgrowth.
Want a detox plan that really works? Our BE Clean program is a great starting point: Open up the detoxification pathways, streamline the cleansing process, and help your body lose weight.
What To Remember Most About This Article:
The immune system is complex and sensitive. Proper nutrients are essential to maintaining the gut mucosal barrier and ensuring the smooth release of toxins from the body. Candida waste byproducts, such as gliotoxins and acetaldehyde, are implicated in a wide range of disorders like nutritional deficiency, depression and anxiety, brain fog and fatigue, autoimmune conditions, systemic inflammation, and weakened immune response.
If you have systemic Candida, then sugar really is like a drug. Acetaldehyde is the Candida byproduct that collects in the body’s tissues and promotes addiction. This explains why you may find it almost impossible to give up sugar if you have systemic Candida overgrowth.
It is possible to kill two birds with one stone. You can curb Candida and reduce sugar cravings with three helpful tips:
- Cut sugar out of your diet. The Body Ecology Diet recommends eliminating excess sugar and sweet fruits from the diet that can feed Candida overgrowth. Try a natural sugar substitute like stevia—300 times sweeter than table sugar—to get that sweet taste instead.
- Restore good bacteria. Research confirms that healthy probiotic bacteria could naturally reduce Candida levels in the intestinal tract. Make it your goal to eat fermented vegetables and drink probiotic beverages each day.
- Treat with natural antifungals. Natural herbs and oils can fight Candida with their antifungal ability. Lemongrass and clove essential oils have scientific backing to inhibit Candida growth.
- Shaw, William. Biological Treatments for Autism and PDD.
- “Glutathione Peroxidase 1 Deficiency Attenuates Allergen-Induced Airway Inflammation by Suppressing TH2 and TH17 Cell Development.” Antioxid Redox Signal. 2010 June 6.
- “Antiviral and immunomodulatory of new pro-glutathione (GSH) molecules.” Current Medical Chem. 2006;13(15):1749-55.
- “Intestinal Barrier Function in Response to Abundant or Depleted Mucosal Glutathione in Salmonella-Infected Rats.” BMC Physiology. 2009 April 17;9:6.
- Kharrazian, Datis. “AutoImmune Regulation by the Nitric Oxide and Glutathione Systems, Part 2.” Neuroendocrine Immunology Series Lecture. Irvine: Apex Energetics, 2010.
- Ducluzeau, D. and Bensaada, M. Comparative Effect of a Single or Continuous Administration of Saccharomyces Boulardii on the Establishment of Various Strains of Candida in the Digestive Tract of Gnotobiotic Mice.MICROBIOL.1982; 1338: 491-501.