How to Avoid Osteoarthritis and Joint Problems
Although arthritis is usually thought of as an inevitable part of aging, this is not true. Not taking care of your joints NOW could force you to use a walker sooner than you think. Learn what you can do — starting today — to prevent this debilitating disease from striking you, young or old.
Osteoarthritis, known as the “wear-and-tear” arthritis, is the most common form of arthritis.
A chronic, and sometimes excruciating condition, osteoarthritis is caused by the breakdown of the cartilage in your joints. Cartilage is the part of the joint that cushions the ends of two bones where they meet, so they don’t scrape against each other and can move easily.
As the cartilage wears down, the bones begin to rub and scrape against one another, causing stiffness, inflammation, joint pain, and loss of movement in the affected joint.
Today, there are 27 million Americans who are living with osteoarthritis, and unfortunately, an exact cause and a cure for this disease are yet to be discovered1.
One assumption is that arthritis is an inescapable result of aging because of its link with wear and tear. This is untrue!
There are two distinct types of osteoarthritis:
- Primary Osteoarthritis: Usually related to aging and normal wear and tear. Yet, living a long life doesn’t mean osteoarthritis is inevitable.
- Secondary Osteoarthritis: This is diagnosed when the breakdown of the cartilage in the joint is caused by overuse or abuse of a joint, injury, obesity or heredity.
Note that heredity is not destiny. If you think you might have inherited a predispostion for this disease, you owe it to yourself to pay extra attention to what you can do to prevent osteoarthritis and joint pain.
“Weigh” Your Risk of Osteoarthritis
Studies have consistently shown that overweight women have 4 times the risk, and overweight men have 5 times the risk of developing knee osteoarthritis when compared to their normal body weight counterparts2.
Your knees are the largest joint in your body, and especially vulnerable to arthritis because of the constant load they carry – you.
Although most people interpret “overweight” to be an obvious and observable weight problem, carrying around even a moderate amount of unneeded pounds can still greatly increase your chances of developing joint pain and osteoarthritis.
That’s because for every extra pound of weight you carry, you add three times more pressure on your knees, and six times more pressure to your hips.
Translate that to mean that if you are just 10 pounds above your healthy weight, you are really putting an additional 30 pounds on your knees, and 60 pounds on your hips!
That makes you think differently about those pounds, doesn’t it?
Exercise Caution During Exercise
Kudos to you if you are exercise regularly to keep your body and your mind fit, and encourage your children to do the same!
Not only will exercise help you shed, and maintain your ideal weight, it’s well known to reduce depression, increase energy, reduce cardiovascular disease, and promote good health in general.
Just don’t forget that too much (or improper practice) of a good thing can do more harm than good!
Joint overuse, even without injury, can cause osteoarthritis and joint pain.
Sudden, or irregular impacts, pushing your joints too far, or not paying attention to healthy body mechanics such as lifting improperly, or bad posture can all contribute to unnecessary wear and tear, and eventual breakdown of the cartilage in your joints.
Learning proper exercise protocol, and always wearing protective gear where applicable, will ensure that you’re not controlling one risk factor –body weight — while promoting another, namely abuse of your joints!
Body Ecology Tips for Reducing Your Risk of Osteoarthritis
If you’re looking to minimize your risk of osteoarthritis, or if you already have joint pain or symptoms of osteoarthritis, Body Ecology we can offer you some valuable insight you won’t find elsewhere. We highly encourage you to:
Take a look at your diet, but don’t “diet” with the mindset of losing x number of pounds. Losing weight is easy on The Body Ecology “Diet.” Yes we do have a diet or way of eating but Body Ecology is really not just a diet but an entire system of health and healing…a way of life.
We really don’t focus on weight loss as much as we probably should…given that it is a serious concern for so many today. The most effective method of ensuring good health and longevity, of which weight control is a huge part, is to commit to eating a wholesome, balanced, natural PROBIOTIC diet…That’s US! We invite you to please join us and lose those extra pounds quickly and easily.
The Omega-3 fatty acids and extract in Pernax have been found to benefit osteoarthritis, inflammation, joint issues and much more. From promoting digestive health to anti-aging, learn more about Pernax now.
- With Body Ecology’s PROBIOTIC DIET and our 7 SUPER PRINCIPLES, you can learn how to maintain a normal weight for a LONG HEALTHY LIFE. Plus you’ll know how to prevent, minimize or correct any health problems you currently have or might be at risk for, including osteoarthritis.
Minerals – Perhaps first and foremost you MUST correct any mineral imbalances. Eat mineral-rich foods, and eliminate sugar and carbs from your diet. They are too acidic and leech minerals from your blood, bones and teeth. Too much of the other acidic foods that we commonly eat…and think are healthy…like nuts and seed and animal proteins…also drain minerals as your body tries to keep the correct acid/alkaline balance. Fortunately for BEDer who have a sweet tooth we can recommend stevia and Lakanto.
- Eat and drink” probiotic-rich” foods – digestion is key and microflora not only extract and retain minerals in your blood to take to cells but also microflora eat the natural sugars in our foods so that we can enjoy them in fruits and vegetables. In a nutshell…YOU MUST EAT A DIET RICH IN BENEFICIAL MICROFLORA. We have tried to make this convenient and enjoyable for you with our probiotic-rich line of delicious liquids, including the bestselling InnergyBiotic all-natural probiotic liquid with four superior strains of probiotics to heal your inner ecosystem.
- Bone broths – for those of us who thrive on a little, properly-prepared animal protein foods but do not digest it well, eat bone broths instead. They are mineral rich and contain collagen that is essential for healthy joints. Once again, animal proteins are acidic, so keep them to a minimum…like 20% of your meal…and eat them only once or twice per day.
- Add colonics and home enemas as important cleansing tools – To prevent and especially to turn around a condition like osteoarthritis, colonics and home enemas can become valuable tools. Toxins will go to the weak places in your body and, for you, that may be your joints. But perhaps even more important to know is that your liver “rules” joints, eye health and skin health. As it becomes more and more congested with toxins (usually from the womb) and especially when your detoxification pathways are functioning poorly, those toxins end up in your joints. For years we have seen consistent improvement in joint problems with our mineral-rich, sugar-free, PROBIOTIC diet and colon therapy. Give it a try yourself and you’ll see what we mean.
A Few More Tips
- Drink plenty of good quality water. As you age, thirst perception decreases, which can lead to chronic dehydration and a host of health problems, including joint pain and osteoarthritis.3
- Do not just supplement your diet with any Omega-3 … be sure to go with a pure and potent form. Even better if you add the other benefits such as those found in this green lipped mussel … be sure to read The New Zealand Breakthrough in Anti-Aging, Disease-Fighting and Digestive Health
- Exercise smart. Warm up slowly, don’t overdo it, and don’t ignore even minor pain by popping a pill.
If you already have unexplained joint pain, and think you should not exercise at all, you could not be more mistaken.
Allowing your muscles to atrophy by avoiding exercise only puts more pressure on your joints, and can exacerbate this problem. Talk to your doctor, or a physical therapist, and ask for help in devising an exercise plan.
For Ideal Exercise, Rebound!
For smart, injury-free exercise, Body Ecology highly recommends the Bellicon Rebounders from Germany.
These mini-trampolines are a fun, convenient way to bounce your way to health, with these benefits:
- Low-impact, joint-friendly exercise
- Great cardiovascular workout that helps you shed excess weight
- Improved blood flow throughout your body
- Cells and lymph system are able to better eliminate toxins.
- Strengthened muscles and joints
- Improved digestion
Plus, rebounding subjects your body to strong gravitational forces (G-forces) that strengthen every cell in your body and increase your white blood cell count and disease fighting ability.4
This is what makes rebounding different from other forms of exercise, and you don’t even have to leave your home to do it!
- Mark http://www.arthritis.org/disease-center.php?disease_id=32
- Eustice, Carol & Richard, “Overweight: A Risk Factor for Osteoarthritis” February 2008
- Batmanghelidj, M.D., F “ Physiological Effects of Dehydration: Cure Pain and Prevent Cancer”. August 2001
- Tobkin, Jutta, “Rebounding Exercise: Getting a Jump on Great Health and Flexibility,” HolisticHealthTools.com