The Healthiest Food and Drink Choices for Type 2 Diabetes: The Body Ecology Solution
Beer and wine do have antioxidants, but find out why the wild fermentation process used to make them is NOT so great for your health.
On December 20th, 2006, The United Nations declared diabetes a global threat, and to help increase awareness of this epidemic, designated November 14th as “World Diabetes Day.”
Type 2 diabetes accounts for 95% of all diabetes cases, and in the U.S. alone, the number of people with this diagnosis has doubled just in the last two decades.
Type 2 diabetes is a condition where the blood sugar is abnormally and chronically elevated. Basically there is too much sugar out in the bloodstream yet not enough in the cells, causing extreme fatigue.
Diabetes is linked to every degenerative disease we face today including heart disease, neurological disorders, cancer, high blood pressure and kidney disease.
Diabetics are at risk for developing gangrene, loss of eyesight and even blindness. They age quickly because the high sugar levels suppress growth hormone needed to regenerate tissues.
Diabetes was once rare but today is believed to be mostly attributed to the unhealthy weight gain, obesity, and lack of exercise so common in all modern western nations. But if you look at the root cause of type 2 diabetes, you have to go deeper than overeating and lack of exercise. To learn more, read: 8 Common Misperceptions about Obesity and Why Body Ecology is the Ideal Obesity Solution.
Many of the food and lifestyle habits we’ve created contribute to a state of imbalance that can lead to patterns of illness and dis-ease, like diabetes. One way to recreate balance is to start nourishing yourself today with healthy, whole foods that support you on your path to health and healing.
So where do you start? The Body Ecology Way of Life is ideally suited as a roadmap back to health, well being and balance. Our antifungal Diet is without a doubt the perfect diet for a diabetic because diabetics have a systemic yeast infection called Candidiasis. The Body Ecology Diet is sugar-free, mineral-rich and also helps conquer this dangerous blood borne infection, candida.
As you follow our way of life, as tens of thousands now do your blood sugar will naturally become balanced and you will experience many other benefits including weight loss.
But, naturally, as you begin your new diet you still want to enjoy the food you are eating.. We all deserve to love the food we eat every day AND feel healthy and energized.
Our delicious array of health-promoting foods and beverages will add a new dimension of taste as you watch your blood sugar levels normalizing
Here are 8 of our favorite foods that go a long way in the treatment and prevention of type 2 diabetes:
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables
This category of vegetables really should be included in your diet every day. There are many to choose from: kale, collards, bok choy, green cabbage, turnip greens, Brussels sprouts, spinach and arugula.
Here are a few reasons why they are perfect for helping reverse type 2 diabetes
- They are very alkalizing, low in fat, high in fiber and are a rich source of magnesium, folic acid, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron and calcium.
- Lutein and zeaxanthan help prevent eye problems and blindness which often result from diabetes.
- Their nutrients have been shown to help prevent bone density problems and cancer often resulting from diabetes.
We recommend cooking these vegetables to make them more digestible. When eaten raw they also suppress the thyroid.
- Sea Vegetables
Sea vegetables also top the list of superfoods that are a particularly strong ally in the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes.
Take a look at just a few benefits of sea vegetables:
- They contain all 56 of the minerals and trace elements your body needs, which helps reverse the serious mineral deficiencies and acidic blood that diabetes and high blood sugar cause. You especially need the minerals that help with sugar metabolism and insulin regulation.
- They help detoxify your blood, which takes some of the load off your hard-working liver. The liver is especially prone to disease in people with diabetes because it can exhaust itself trying to control blood sugar levels.
- They help balance thyroid function, which is essential energy, for proper functioning of your metabolism, and for weight control. Your thyroid is an important regulator of all your hormones in your body.
- They have powerful anti-inflammatory affects, and can boost your immunity. This is especially important if you have diabetes because of the increased risk of complications, and even death, that can result if you become ill
Sea vegetables are delicious, and easier to find and prepare than you may think. Start by reading “8 Healthy Seaweeds Worth Knowing and Trying
- Celtic Sea Salt
This mineral rich salt is a must in your daily cooking. You will most likely crave salt so if you are using high-quality sea salt you can enjoy this delicious seasoning without guilt. Your body needs it.
- Cod Liver Oil, Raw Butter and Ghee
These fats contain two important fat-soluble vitamins, A and D. High levels of Vitamin A from these animal foods are absolutely essential for the diabetic becau