Cleansing the colon: What to know about colonics, enemas, & colemas
It’s been said that all disease begins in the colon, but at Body Ecology, we prefer to take a more positive and comprehensive outlook. We say: “All health begins in the digestive tract and creating a healthy colon is a great first step to wellness.”
Why’s your colon so critical for good health?
Could you use a deep cleaning? EcoOxyZyme can help. Featuring a carefully selected blend of natural enzymes to break up and help detoxify the tough biofilm surrounding pathogenic bacteria so they can be eliminated.
Think of your colon as the waste management station of your body. All of the cells and tissues in your body — and your major organ of detoxification, the liver — rely upon a well-functioning colon so they can cleanse your body of toxins.
Yes, waste products that are left over from the digestion of the food you eat are sent to your colon to be safely excreted from your body. But important nutrients and hormones are still being absorbed or manufactured there too.
When everything’s working in an efficient manner, your colon would not only handle the waste, it would also absorb leftover nutrients (like water, electrolytes, and vitamins) from digested foods and send them back for your body to use.
In essence, your colon is deciding what to get rid of and what vital nutrients to redistribute.
Now, if you think it’s rare for people to have issues with their colon, think again.
Here are three important reasons everyone can benefit from colon cleansing:
1. Estimates vary widely, but it’s possible that the average person may carry up to 10 pounds of old fecal matter in their colon.
2. The accumulation of waste on the walls of your colon creates the perfect breeding ground for parasites, yeast, bad bacteria, and viruses.
3. In fact, for too many people today, detoxification pathways are essentially blocked. Over time, toxins build up. It’s believed that the average person is exposed to thousands of chemicals each day from food, water, air, stress, and personal care products, some of which have not even been scientifically identified yet.1
Blocked detoxification pathways can potentially result in autointoxication, which, according to Dr. Bernard Jensen in his book Tissue Cleansing Through Bowel Management, “produces undesirable consequences in the body and is the root cause of many of today’s diseases and illnesses.”2
Symptoms of blocked detoxification pathways or autointoxication are:
- Not feeling well overall
- Achy muscles and joints
- Candida (yeast infection)
- Difficulty breathing
- Flu-like symptoms
- Fuzzy thinking
- Hormonal imbalance
- Mucus discharge
- Vision issues
Autointoxication can occur for four main reasons:
1. Your colon gets backed up.
If your colon starts backing up, waste may back up into the rest of your digestive tract and, eventually, into your kidneys and liver.
2. Your body lacks the energy to make your colon function properly.
In this case, the problem isn’t really your colon. It’s a lack of energy to move contents through it in an efficient amount of time. Basically, you may lack the energy that allows your colon to do its job.
In particular, energy comes from your adrenals and their partner, your thyroid. Adrenal fatigue or low thyroid are two common causes of constipation or a sluggish colon. Stress and a lack of sleep may compromise these energy-producing organs.3
3. Your stomach lacks an adequate amount of hydrochloric acid.
Consistently taking digestive enzymes that contain this vital stomach acid (HCl) is often the key to eliminating constipation. Hard to believe? It’s true. HCl is the enzyme that triggers all the other digestive enzymes to work effectively.
It’s also essential for absorbing minerals. Both contribute to having more efficient peristaltic movement: the muscle contractions that push food through and out of your colon.
Need more HCl? Try our Assist Protein & Dairy.
4. Your liver is congested.
A liver that’s sluggish and clogged up from toxins could create a vicious cycle where a toxic colon poisons the liver, and the congested liver slows down peristaltic movement. Aim to alleviate the burden on your liver from drugs, alcohol, chemicals, and negative thoughts, and clean your colon.
What are your options? Our top 3 colon cleansing solutions
One of the key principles of the Body Ecology System of Health and Healing is the Principle of Cleansing — in other words, detoxification.
There are many ways to help detoxify your body, including eating foods on the Body Ecology program. Another helpful approach is to cleanse the colon. Though it sounds daunting, it’s easier than you think.
Here are three important colon cleansing methods everyone should know about:
1. Colon hydrotherapy.
Colon hydrotherapy is done with a qualified colon hydrotherapist to guide you through the process of colon cleansing. Hydrotherapy bathes your entire colon with 10 gallons of pure water.
2. Home enema.
A home enema allows you to cleanse your colon from the privacy of your own home in between colon hydrotherapy sessions or if you’re experiencing symptoms of candida die-off.
The colema is a cross between a colonic and an enema. This very gentle, yet effective, colon cleansing can also be done in the privacy of your own home. With a colema, you’ll need a sturdy colema board, a 5-gallon bucket, surgical-grade tubing, and a rectal tip.
The great thing about a colema is that you can hydrate most of your colon while lying comfortably on the colema board.
- Position a strong folding chair facing the toilet.
- Place the colema board on the toilet and chair so you can rest comfortably on your back. Also, use a pillow and folded towel to make the board comfortable.
- Fill a 5-gallon bucket with filtered water at body temperature.
- Place the bucket on a sturdy surface no more than 4 feet above your colema board.
- Siphon water through the surgical tubing so that it’s flowing freely through the rectal tip.
- Stop the flow of water, lubricate the tip with organic extra virgin olive oil, and position your body so you can insert the tip no more than 3 inches into your rectum.
- Once inserted, open up the flow of water for your colema session.
According to Dr. Jensen, the colema is the gentlest and most effective form of cleansing your colon and, therefore, all of the tissues in your body.2 Please note that it’s important to consult your healthcare professional before performing any home colon cleansing treatments.
Colonics, enemas, and colemas all use pure water to hydrate the muscles of your colon, loosening up old, hardened fecal matter so it can be safely eliminated. To help you choose the right colon cleansing solution for you, we recommend working with a certified colon hydrotherapist.
Amazingly, we’ve witnessed thousands of cases where improving colon health has led to improving overall health. Supporting your body with colon cleansing and healing foods may have you on the way to feeling like your best self again.
- 1. Aolin Wang, Dimitri Panagopoulos Abrahamsson, Ting Jiang, Miaomiao Wang, Rachel Morello-Frosch, June-Soo Park, Marina Sirota, Tracey J. Woodruff. Suspect Screening, Prioritization, and Confirmation of Environmental Chemicals in Maternal-Newborn Pairs from San Francisco. Environmental Science & Technology, 2021; DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.0c05984.
- 2. Jensen, B., & Bell, S. A. (2011). Tissue Cleansing Through Bowel Management. Healthy Living Publications.
- 3. Rodrigues NC, da Cruz NS, de Paula Nascimento C, da Conceição RR, da Silva AC, Olivares EL, Marassi MP. Sleep deprivation alters thyroid hormone economy in rats. Exp Physiol. 2015 Feb 1;100(2):193-202. doi: 10.1113/expphysiol.2014.083303. Epub 2015 Jan 15. PMID: 25480161.