Astaxanthin: What You Need to Know about One of Nature’s True Powerhouse Antioxidants, Including Where to Find It
Astaxanthin may be one of the most powerful antioxidants you’ve never heard of!
This super potent antioxidant and carotenoid is a natural red pigment found in plants, algae, and some food sources like salmon, cray fish and lobster. Carotenoids give color, act as antioxidants, and help synthesize vitamin A.
Its antioxidant action is what makes astaxanthin so important for human health.
You’ve heard of antioxidants; they’re the defense force in your body that protects you from free radicals. Remember that free radicals are the bad guys. They cause oxidation of DNA and proteins in your body that can lead to premature aging, decreased immunity, illness and disease.
Antioxidants are your first line of defense against free radicals, and astaxanthin should be part of your antioxidant team!
Carotenoids like astaxanthin enhance your immunity, protect you from sunburn and even inhibit the growth of some cancers.1
In addition to these properties, the benefits of astaxanthin include:
- Helps prevent cataracts and can be an effective macular degeneration treatment.2
- Protects against the oxidative stress that results in Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and other neurological diseases.3
- Reduces your risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease.4
As you can see, the benefits of astaxanthin are real, but you’ll have to get astaxanthin from your diet in order to benefit from its antioxidant power.
You can get health-enhancing astaxanthin from marine plants like microalgae that are the original producers of the carotenoid. Or you can eat animal sources like wild caught salmon and trout, which feed on the zooplankton, which feed on the microalgae that gives them a reddish color!
For a convenient, delicious way to get the benefits of astaxanthin, try Body Ecology’s Vitality SuperGreen!
This amazing powdered whole food combines all the benefits of antioxidant-rich carotenoids with a proprietary blend of nutrients and probiotics for optimal taste and nutrition.
Vitality SuperGreen is special because it contains:
- Beneficial probiotics
- Complete vegetarian protein
- Powerful antioxidants
- Thyroid-supporting sea vegetables
- Fermented greens (spinach, parsley and kale)
- Fermented non-GMO soy lecithin
- Fermented algae blend
- Our own Intestinal Support Blend (including GlutImmune™, a form of glutamine that is more absorbed by your gut. It has been shown to assist with increasing muscle mass and healing and maintaining the digestive tract)
Vitality SuperGreen gives you the benefits of astaxanthin and antioxidants in an easy to make and delicious whole-food powder.
Fish can be another wonderful source of astaxanthin, especially pacific salmon. Interestingly, Pacific salmon (caught in the Pacific Ocean) has higher concentrations of astaxanthin than salmon caught in the Atlantic Ocean , and here at Body Ecology, we recommend wild caught Pacific salmon from Vital Choice.
Vital Choice provides fresh frozen wild caught Alaskan salmon delivered fresh to your door so you know you’re getting fresh, healthy fish every time!
Your health is in your hands, and astaxanthin can help!
Whether you choose to get your astaxanthin from Vitality SuperGreen, red peppers, algae or fresh fish, you can be sure that you’ll be protecting your body from dangerous free radicals with one of the most powerful antioxidants available.
- “Carotenoids,” Astaxanthin.org. http://www.astaxanthin.org/carotenoids.htm
- “Antioxidants and Eye Health,” http://www.astaxanthin.org/eyehealth.htm
- “Antioxidants and Neurodegenerative Diseases,” Astaxanthin.org.
- “Antioxidants and Cardiovascular Diseases,” Astaxanthin.org. http://www.astaxanthin.org/cardiodisease.htm
- “Astaxanthin in Foods,” Astaxanthin.org. http://www.astaxanthin.org/astax-foods.htm