A big salad, brimming with vegetables, offers a simple and light main-course dinner - especially when paired with fermented vegetables.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 strip kombu
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained thoroughly
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 small heads radicchio, cored and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss butternut squash with coconut oil, coriander and cayenne pepper to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring once or twice to prevent scorching.
- Place the kombu in a stock pot and cover with filtered water. Allow the kombu to soak for 15 to 20 minutes until it becomes pliable.
- Place in quinoa in a heavy-bottomed stock pot with kombu and pour in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to rest 5 minutes before opening the lid, removing kombu and fluffing with a fork.
- In a large bowl, toss roasted squash with quinoa and chopped radicchio. Dress with Apple Cider Vinaigrette and serve.