It’s that time of year again, when seasons change, and your body may be craving something different. Specifically, you might be hankering for heartier, more satisfying foods. This satiating quinoa salad, enhanced by flavorful butternut squash and radicchio, delivers.
A big quinoa salad, brimming with veggies, offers a simple and light main-course dinner — especially when paired with fermented vegetables. Order your Culture Starter now.
For optimal digestion, always eat grains, grain-like seeds, and starchy vegetables with non-starchy and/or ocean vegetables.
The grain-like seeds recommended when eating The Body Ecology Way are quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, and millet. Starchy vegetables include acorn and butternut squash, lima beans, English peas, corn (fresh), water chestnuts, artichokes/Jerusalem artichokes, and red skin potatoes. Combine them with non-starchy vegetables or ocean vegetables for some delicious, filling meals.
- 1 med. butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 strip kombu
- 2 small heads radicchio, cored and chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained thoroughly
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss butternut squash with coconut oil, coriander, and cayenne pepper to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring once or twice to prevent scorching.
- Place the kombu in a heavy-bottomed stockpot and cover with filtered water. Allow the kombu to soak for 15 to 20 minutes until it becomes pliable.
- Spoon quinoa into the stockpot with kombu and pour in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium, and cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to rest five minutes before opening the lid, removing kombu and fluffing with a fork.
- In a large bowl, toss roasted squash with quinoa and chopped radicchio. Dress with apple cider vinaigrette and serve.