Red Bell Peppers Stuffed With Millet & Lower Bavarian Potato Soup
Red Bell Peppers Stuffed With Millet
Ingredients : serves 6
- 4 large red bell peppers, cut in half and seeded
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked millet
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Sprinkle the peppers with sea salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes, or until the onion is softened.
- Add the cooked millet, mint, parsley, capers, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Taste for seasonings.
- Stuff this mixture into the pepper halves. Arrange the peppers in a glass baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer. Pour 1 cup of water around, not over, the peppers.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until the peppers are fork-tender.
Excerpted from “Invitation to Dine: Recipes from my Personal Collection,” by Christiane Herzog.
Lower Bavarian Potato Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes
Ingredients : serves 4
- 1 leek
- 1 pound red skin potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small piece celeriac (more commonly known as celery root), peeled and finely diced sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cut the leek in half lengthwise, wash it thoroughly, then cut into thin strips.
- Put all the vegetables in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover them.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer the vegetables over a medium heat until they are very soft.
- Season the soup with sea salt and pepper. Sprinkle the chopped parsley over it before serving.