Heidi’s Onion Pie Recipe
- 2 cups amaranth flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 5 Tbsp. butter or 4 Tbsp. organic, unrefined coconut oil
- Approximately 1/2 cup water
- In a bowl or food processor, place flour, sea salt, and
butter or oil.
- Cut or pulse butter into dough until crumbly, gradually
adding water until dough begins to form a ball.
- Remove from bowl or processor and form into flat ball.
- Place on wax paper, sprinkle flour around the ball, roll
the ball out using wax paper both under and on top
of the dough to facilitate rolling.
- Transfer the crust to a round pizza pan.
- Crimp edges.
- 4 – 6 large onions, thinly sliced in 1/2 rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Blend or oregano, parsley, rosemary, basil,
and celery seed
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1 Tbsp. organic, unrefined coconut oil, butter, or ghee
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup amaranth
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 – 3 green onions, thinly sliced rounds
- 1 Tbsp. fresh herbs such as basil or cilantro, minced
- Sauté onion, garlic, herbs, and pepper flakes in oil,
butter, or ghee.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook until onions are tender,
approximately 15 minutes.
- Add water, sea salt, and amaranth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for
approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and boil off excess liquid.
- Add red pepper, scallions, and optional fresh herb for
the last 2 – 3 minutes of cooking.
General Directions: (Makes 4 servings)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Add toppings.
- Sprinkle with Herbamare, garlic powder, and/or pepper
flakes if desired.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.