Mock Tomato Sauce Recipe
The beet in this recipe is added merely for color and will
not cause a problem. This recipe is included for those who love
tomato sauces. Adding apple cider vinegar at the end of cooking
will more closely duplicate the acidic quality in a tomato sauce.
Great over millet or buckwheat croquettes.
- 3 Tbsp. organic, unrefined coconut oil, ghee, or butter
- 4 cups diced red onion
- 3 Tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. pizza seasonings (Spice Hunter)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 7 cups butternut squash, baked
- 3 cups of beet stock*
- 2 Tbsp. of sea salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Sauté onions and garlic in coconut butter until golden.
- Add pizza seasoning and zucchini and continue to
- Take off heat.
- Bake butternut squash in oven (you will need two
- Poke holes in squash to prevent it from exploding.
- Bake squash until very soft, approximately 11/2-2
- When done, slice in half and let cool enough to handle.
- Scoop seeds and measure 7 cups of squash meat.
- Add to mixture of onions and zucchini.
- Add water and bring up to temperature.
- Add beet stock.
- Continue to simmer and puree until smooth.
- Add water and salt level for desired thickness and
- When room temperature, add apple cider vinegar.
*Beet stock is made by simmering 1-2 sliced beets in 2 cups
of water for 30 minutes.