Fresh herbs are abundant during the summer season. Enjoy this delicious millet salad with herbs like mint and chives as a side dish or even a main course. It packs well for summertime picnics and cookouts, too.
Millet is a gluten-free, grain-like seed that’s packed full of vitamins and minerals. It’s so versatile — you’ll love it in everything from salads to bread to pancakes to casseroles.
Order your copy of our Body Ecology Living Cookbook for more millet recipes.
If you haven’t tried this delicious gluten-free food yet, now’s your time. Click here to learn how to prepare your millet and to read all about its research-backed health benefits.
Tabouli salad ingredients:
- 2 cups soaked, steamed millet
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini squash, steamed and cooled
- 1 tsp. raw, unrefined apple cider vinegar
- Rinse and soak your millet in clean water with the raw apple cider vinegar in a glass bowl for 8 to 24 hours at room temperature.
- Cook millet as you would rice, but with more water (3 cups water to 1 cup millet). However, if you soak millet, you won’t need as much water when you cook it. After soaking, try 1 cup of millet to 2 or 2 ½ cups of water. You determine how much water to use depending on how soft you like your grain.
- You will know your millet is finished because the dark yellow color will become opaque.
- Refrigerate your millet.
- When cooled, mix in chopped herbs and vegetables and enjoy with garlic-mint dressing.
Garlic-mint dressing ingredients:
- 1/4-1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, to taste (start with less)
- 1/2 cup organic, unrefined oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint leaves, minced
- Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Blend lemon juice, mint, and garlic in your Vitamix or high-speed blender, and slowly add oil to emulsify.
- Serve this dressing over millet tabouli salad or any other salad you like.
Did you know that getting gluten-free grains like millet is as easy as a few clicks of your mouse? Our friends at Shiloh Farms will ship this delicious, easily-digestible, organic hulled millet right to your door.