The warm weather brings an abundance of colorful fruit for you to enjoy. Remembering the Body Ecology Principles of proper food combining and eating fermented foods will assure that you get the best out of the fruit you eat this season.
Psst — here’s an easy way to make your own coconut kefir and coconut kefir cheese. Use our Starter Culture to make home-culturing a breeze.
Summer is the perfect time for you to expand on the fruits you eat. Sour fruits like lemons and cherries combine perfectly with fermented young coconut meat to create a cooling treat so delicious that you wouldn’t even know it’s good for you too. Take care to eat your fruits in moderation and combine them with fermented foods to enjoy the best results.
Sugar free dessert recipe by: Travis Grant
- 2 cups young coconut kefir cheese (coconut yogurt)
- ¼ cup fresh Bing cherries*
- 1 tsp. agar-agar (seaweed used like gelatin)
- 3 tbsp. Lakanto
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Few drops of liquid stevia (to taste)
- 4 stemmed cherries (for topping)
- 4 wine glasses
- To make this sugar free dessert recipe, combine one cup coconut kefir cheese, Bing cherries, and a few drops of liquid stevia, to taste, in a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until creamy. Move to a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining kefir cheese, Lakanto, lemon juice, and lemon zest to your blender and blend until creamy. Move to a separate mixing bowl.
- Boil ½ cup of water on stovetop, turn off heat, add agar-agar flakes, and stir until dissolved.
- Quickly add half of the agar-agar gelatin to each bowl, and stir.
- You can re-blend each fruit/cream if you like.
- Spoon half of the lemon cream into four wine glasses and top with half of the cherry cream. Top with the remaining lemon and cherry creams and refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving.
*Cherries are not included in Stage 1, the healing stage of Body Ecology. Sometimes even sour fruits can cause candida to act up. Ideally, fruits should be eaten alone, on an empty stomach, and combined with a good fermented food, so that the microbes can help comsume the sugar, and you can enjoy the delicious flavor.