A twist and an alternative to a classic holiday dish, this green casserole uses kale instead of green beans. When using raw cream from grass-fed cows, you are also getting all the fat-soluble vitamins contained in this nutrient-dense food, like vitamin A and vitamin K2. If you have a sensitivity to dairy, use full fat coconut milk instead.
- 1 pound of kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup raw cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 yellow onion finely sliced with a knife or mandolin
- 1/4 cup of ghee or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Celtic Sea Salt, to taste
Mushroom Cream Sauce:
- Set oven to 350°.
- Grease casserole dish with ghee or coconut oil. Set aside.
- Melt ghee or coconut oil in a medium-sized pan.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, and diced onion. Cook gently over medium-low heat until mushrooms and onion begin to brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool down. Add components to a food processor and pulse into a paste.
- Scrape from food processor and place paste into the sauté pan with cream or coconut milk. Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Cook and reduce, for about 5 minutes. Pour into casserole dish.
- Set a large pot of salted water on the stove and bring the water to a boil. Set up a large bowl full of ice water.
- Place the kale into the boiling water. Cook until it is almost cooked through, 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove kale and place into the ice water, which allows the kale to retain its bright color.
- Once the kale is cool enough, squeeze out as much water as possible or spin in a salad spinner.
- Place the completely dried kale into a casserole dish.
- Mix kale and cream sauce together.
- Place into oven. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes, until the sauce begins to bubble.
While casserole is in the oven, fry the onions:
- Melt about 1/4 cup of ghee or coconut oil in sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Place the onions on top of the casserole. Serve.