This delicious recipe is greatly enhanced by the addition of sauted onions and shitake mushrooms. Its great for special occasions, such as Thanksgiving and holidays, when a traditional gravy is needed.
- 2 Tbsp. organic, unrefined coconut oil, butter or ghee
- 2 1/2 - 3 Tbsp. amaranth flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 tsp. fresh minced garlic
- 1 tsp. of any one of Spice Hunter’s many seasoning blends, such as Herbs de Provence or Deliciously Dill, Sea salt, Trocomare or Herbamare, to taste
- In a small skillet, make a roux by melting ghee, butter or oil and quickly stirring in flour.
- Very slowly add vegetable broth or water, stirring constantly.
- Add garlic and seasoning, adjust to taste.
Variation: Sauté sliced onions and shitake mushrooms in the same skillet you will be using to make the gravy. Remove them and make gravy. Fold onions and shitakes back in and reheat before serving.