Almond Mayonnaise Recipe
This recipe is adapted from The American Vegetarian
Cookbook, a masterpiece by Marilyn Diamond, co-founder
of the Fit For Life movement. While Marilyn has included it
in her book as an alternative to mayonnaise made with eggs,
we think it makes an excellent party dip or snack food when
served with raw vegetables.
Ingredients: (yields 11/2 – 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup organic, unrefined oil (flax or pumpkin seed)
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. raw, organic apple cider vinegar
- Cover almonds with boiling water, allow to cool slightly.
Slip off skins and have all other ingredients ready.
- Place almonds in blender or food processor and grind
to a fine powder. Add half the water along with garlic
powder and seasonings. Blend well, then add the
remaining water to form a smooth cream.
- With blender running low, remove insert top and
drizzle in the oil in a thin stream until mixture is
- Keep blender running and add lemon juice and vinegar.
Blend on low 1 minute longer to allow mixture to
thicken to desired consistency.
- Scrape into a jar with a screw top and refrigerate. This
will keep 10 days – 2 weeks.
Note: If you have trouble digesting oil, eliminate the oil
completely and increase the water.