We know so many of you are searching for healthy Christmas ideas this year, especially those that are friendly to the gut and won’t further compromise immunity. To that, we say: Challenge accepted.
You can find many more gut-smart recipes in our exclusive Body Ecology Living cookbook. Beef stew is a winter favorite. If you’re planning your holiday meal, we suggest festive side dishes from the cookbook like Roasted Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts, Millet “Mashed Potatoes,” and Quick and Easy Homemade Dill Pickles as some of our favorites. You might also enjoy this complimentary sugar-free pumpkin pie dessert recipe
Enjoy an adapted version of Sur La Table’s recipe for hearty beef stew.*
- We left out the refined flour — a gummy, processed food product that feeds candida and can clog the intestines over time. You just don’t need it.
- We also swapped the potatoes for daikon, a radish that looks like a large, white carrot, making the dish still delicious and now healthier for your liver.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into ½” pieces
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 med. daikon radishes, cut into 1½” pieces
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- Pepper, to taste
1. Press BROWN on your Instant Pot. Add the EVOO and allow the inner pot to heat until ready.
2. Then add meat, onions, and garlic. Continue to stir until all meat browns completely. Mix in the remaining ingredients and turn off the BROWN setting.
3. Close the Instant Pot lid and lock it, turning the knob to PRESSURE. Pressure cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
4. Once the pressure cooking is complete, release pressure using the quick release function. Stir well, serve, and enjoy.
*Credit: Sur La Table, 2020.