Ever check the list of ingredients on a bottle of Vitamin Water? If you do, you’ll see why you are doing yourself more harm than good by drinking it. Keep reading to find out the real truth about the new “vitamin enriched” beverage trend.
Have you noticed the backlash against sugar-laden or artificially sweetened carbonated soft drinks that’s been brewing over the last few years?
It’s because consumers have finally started to understand the hazards of consuming these beverages, and their link to the increasing levels of obesity we’re seeing in children.
In fact, U.S. sales of carbonated soft drinks dropped for the first time in 2005, and the trend has continued since1.
As a result of slumping profits major soft drink companies have come up with a dangerous scheme to try to fool you, so you continue buying their products.
You’ve seen the new “vitamin enriched”, so-called “healthy” or improved versions of beverages popping up everywhere, right? Well, these drinks are anything but healthy.
Why Diet Coke Plus Is A “Minus” For Your Health
If McDonald’s came out with a new and improved, “vitamin enriched Big Mac”, would you think it was healthy? How about if someone tried to convince you that you should drink vitamin enriched poison? No?
As ludicrous or far-fetched as these examples sound, Diet Coke Plus is really no different.
Adding vitamins and minerals to an unhealthy product like Diet Coke is a marketing tool and a ruse designed to make you and your children think that what you’re drinking is good for you, when it’s not at all.
First of all, Diet Coke Plus, just like Diet Coke, is currently sweetened with aspartame, a dangerous neurotoxin that has been shown to contribute to:
- Mood Disorders
- Brain tumors and other cancers
- Increased Appetite
- Cravings for carbohydrates
- Fat storage and weight gain
The added vitamins and minerals – which are of questionable quality anyway - do not make up for the dangers of consuming Diet Coke Plus. (Coke has petitioned the FDA for approval of stevia but it has not been granted yet.)
Furthermore, all colas including Coke and Pepsi are very acid forming beverages. You know how bad that is for your body but have you stopped to think of what happens to vitamins and minerals after weeks or months in that acidic environment of a carbonated beverage?
Well, the acid breaks them down, so that by the time you consume them in something like Diet Coke Plus, they are virtually useless to your body.
Vitamin Water – The Biggest Scam
What is most wrong and downright sinister about vitamin-enriched waters is how especially deceptive they are.
At least with Diet Coke Plus, the average health conscious consumer might make the connection that if “Diet Coke” is unhealthy, anything close to it can’t be that much better.
Not so with vitamin water. Everyone knows that you can’t outdo water for a healthy beverage, and vitamins and minerals added to water make it sound like a panacea for good health.
Plenty of consumers are falling for it - a new “vitamin enriched” brand of water seems to be hitting the shelves every day.
Let’s take a good look at the first three ingredients of one of the most popular ones, Glaceau Vitamin Water -which was bought by the Coca Cola Company, by the way:
- Distilled, deionized, and/or reverse osmosis water: this is water that has had any and all natural minerals removed from it, and can create a highly acidic condition in your body, leading to severe mineral deficiencies, and even heartbeat irregularities2. The addition of minerals and vitamins of inferior quality does not counter-effect the damage.
- Crystalline Fructose: This is just another name for high-fructose corn syrup, a low quality, cheap, and extremely dangerous sweetener linked to severe health issues including obesity, and fatty liver disease. A new commercial on TV has a couple lying on the grass in a park. The young woman is trying to give her young man a popsicle. He asks her if she is poisoning him. Her answer is ridiculous. Basically she cons him by saying that fructose is as good as sugar and fructose is made from corn. How bad can that be? He falls for it but please, don’t you.
- Cane Sugar: More processed sugar. Since when do you need processed sugar to get your vitamins? Not only does sugar feed cancer, viruses and the pathogenic yeast, candida, that all help quickly age and even kill you, it has many other undisputed health hazards.
In addition to these top three ingredients, Vitamin Water also lists:
- Citric Acid: Contrary to common belief, the citric acid found in so many processed foods today is not from citrus fruits at all. In fact, it’s a food additive and preservative usually produced from corn, and it can cause serious reactions in MSG sensitive people3. People with yeast infections are very sensitive to it and should absolutely avoid it. And who doesn’t have a yeast infection today?
- “Natural” Flavor: The food industry knows you like the sound of “natural” better than “artificial”. Unfortunately, whenever you see "natural flavor" on a food label it means there is some lab processing involved, which makes the distinction between “natural” and “artificial” suspect.
Once again, the addition of synthetic vitamins and minerals to what is essentially sugary, or artificially sweetened water, is not a recipe for good health.
That said, we completely understand that many of you find plain old water boring and tasteless.
You don’t need to sacrifice your health to get tasty and refreshing beverages. There are many alternatives to plain old water that are not only delicious, but have enormous health benefits too.
Drink for Good Health with Body Ecology
Coco-Bioticis a natural and delicious probiotic beverage made from young coconut water that will support your health. It’s full of vitamins, minerals, and beneficial microflora. Best of all, you can combine it with sparkling water, a squeeze of lime and a few drops of Stevia to make a refreshing beverage that beats soft drinks on all levels!
Body Ecology has many options for you if you don’t like drinking plain water.
For example, make a great health drink by combining a few ounces of one of our delicious probiotic liquids and sparkling mineral water. Add some all-natural and healthy liquid Stevia to sweeten, and even a splash of lime or lemon juice for some zing.
One of our most popular probiotic liquids is Body Ecology’s Coco-Biotic, which helps improve digestion, eliminates cravings, cleanses your liver, and gives you energy.
In addition, Coco-Biotic is full of vitamins, minerals, and beneficial microflora that will help you absorb nutrients better and help prevent mineral deficiencies.
If you’re looking for non-carbonated options, start with some good, clean water. For further information, read: The Best Water to Drink, and he Types That Should be Avoided
Then, find an herbal tea you like, brew it, and drink hot or cold. Not only are herbal teas found in a variety of delicious flavors, they are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. You can add more flavor to them with Stevia or Lakanto, lemon, or lime.
Don’t forget that the best way, unquestionably, to ensure you are getting the vitamins and minerals you need is to eat a wholesome diet that includes plenty of organic fruits and vegetables, supplemented with the right grains, meats and fats.
And any of the healthy beverages we suggest above, will only serve to enhance your health, happiness, and longevity.
Mark Gutierrez, D “Coke, Pepsi, to push marketing of ‘healthy’ carbonated beverages.”
Mark Rona, Z. “Why Purified Water is Bad for You”
Mark The Difficulty in Keeping MSG Free
The Dangers of Distilled and RO Water
Want more articles like this?
Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, weekly articles, and tips from Donna and her team.