If you are experiencing brain fog, fatigue, headaches or depression, you may be eating too much sugar! Find out why even a little sugar has negative health affects, what to do about it and how to satisfy your sweet tooth naturally.
But did you know that sugar can also cause hangovers?
It’s true. If you haven’t given up sugar yet, pay close attention to how you feel after eating foods with sugar or even too many natural sugars in fruit.
Here are some of th\e symptoms of sugar hangover1:
- Fuzzy thinking or foggy mind
- Fatigue or sleepiness after meals
- Gas, bloating or extended stomach after meals
- Joint pain
- Skin problems
- Allergy symptoms
- Emotional - Mood swings like emotional highs and then lows (anger, sadness, lack of will power, depression, etc.)
Many of them are actually similar to how you might feel after too much alcohol. And there’s a reason for that...
Too much alcohol, just like too much sugar, affects your kidneys, liver, stomach and small intestines, which explains some of what is happening in your body. Dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, gastrointestinal disturbances and disruption of sleep are some of the results.
And if you are aware of the symptoms of candida, they too carry a similarity.
Candida floods your body with a toxic by-product called acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde produces similar symptoms to an alcohol hangover.
This serious toxin is poisonous to your tissues, is not easily eliminated and accumulates in your brain, spinal cord and muscles. Keeping in mind that your heart and intestines are muscles, you may now understand why you have symptoms of brain fog, muscle weakness and even pain.
And guess what feeds candida? SUGAR!
Unfortunately, the typical foods and drinks (processed foods) on the market have so much hidden sugar, that the average American is (often unknowingly) consuming approximately ½ cup of sugar per day.
And that’s simply too much for the human body to digest effectively.
Here’s what happens in your body after you eat too much sugar or processed foods2:
- Refined sugars enter your bloodstream.
- Blood sugar levels rise.
- Your pancreas is pressured to release insulin (a hormone that helps sugars get into your cells).
- The insulin helps to use up the sugar rapidly, so blood sugar crashes.
- Your body goes into a sugar low or hypoglycemia.
- More hormones are released to deal with the sugar low and return your body to a balanced state. This actually causes a stress response in your body.
- These hormones squeeze sugar from your liver, sending blood sugar back up.
Too much sugar causes your body to go on a roller coaster ride of ups and downs…and your moods often follow.
Sugar doesn’t really combine well with anything...not even vegetables. However, the food combining rules do say sugar can be eaten alone on an empty stomach. An example of this would be honey in hot tea in the morning when your stomach is empty.
So while at Body Ecology, we recommend you eliminate sugar until you’ve healed candida or other health problems (and even then, you may want to avoid it) if you want to stay young and avoid aging.
We DO have solutions for your sweet tooth!
Body Ecology Sweet Tooth Solutions
Here are some top Body Ecology solutions that allow you to indulge in your sweet tooth and still create good health:
- Give up the so-called “natural” sweeteners too. While you may think natural sugars like honey, agave, brown rice syrup, barley malt and molasses are better than sugar, we recommend you avoid these too. They are still too sweet and contribute to onging acidosis of your body and they feed candida.
Instead, we recommend you use the best dsafe and delicious zero-calorie, all-natural Stevia. Stevia is an herb that is 300 times sweeter than sugar, so you only need a small amount to sweeten your favorite foods and beverages.
Lakanto is our newest and most exciting find because it’s an all natural, zero calorie, one-to-one sugar substitute that you can easily use in baking! It is so versatile that you can use it to sweeten your tea or substitute it for sugar in your favorite baked goods.
Indulge your sweet tooth with Lakanto, Body Ecology’s top pick for versatility. You can sweeten everything from liquids to baked goods for a delicious experience that is so like sugar, you’ll hardly believe your taste buds!Sweeten your food AND your health with Lakanto!
- Say Goodbye to Cravings with Fermented Foods and Drinks! When you include fermented foods and drinks in your diet, you will find that you crave sweet tastes less and less often. In fact, if you are having a craving for sugar or processed foods, reach first for cultured vegetables or your favorite probiotic liquidand watch those cravings disappear!
When you add fermented foods and drinks to your diet, you are adding the “sour taste” back into your diet, helping to combat too much reliance on the sweet taste. In addition, you’re getting healthymicroflora that eat up any natural sugars present in low sugar fruits (berries) and veggies (carrots, beets, corn. Microflora also help your body heal from candida.
- If You DO Indulge in Sugar Recreate Balance Naturally. For a truly amazing, delicious and natural hangover cure, drink 2 oz. of Young Coconut Kefir or Coco-Biotic.
This probiotic liquid helps to rehydrate your body, balance your electrolytes, alkalize your blood and combat the effects of sugar hangover. For more, read: The Incredible but Unknown Hangover Solution.
- Don’t Discount Your Emotions (Will Power?). Your cells have a memory for what you last ate, which means you crave more because it’s what your body remembers. If you stop eating sugar for 4 – 5 days, your body stops asking for it.
But how do we make it through the 4 – 5 days? Often it feels like we don’t have the willpower. You may feel pulled toward sweet foods...like you have no willpower. This also sets up a roller coaster of guilt and bad feelings.
We highly recommend working with your emotions during this time. According to Dr. Darren Weissman, it’s your subconscious mind that derails you. Because your subconscious mind is BELOW consciousness, it may feel like you have no choice but to give in to negative habits. When you work with your subconscious mind, it can help you overcome the feeling of letting your body take you on a roller coaster ride. Learn more by reading: The Power of Infinite Love & Gratitude.
At Body Ecology, our research and many years of experience of the positive and negative of food tell us that sugar is a dangerous poison. So why isn’t it outlawed? When you take a closer look at who control our food supply, you realize that sometimes, food manufacturers are more focused on sales than they are on your health...or your children’s well-being. This means you are the one that must be in charge of your or your family’s health. Don’t leave something as precious as your health or the quality of how you will age in the hands of greedy unscrupulous agri-business.
Put yourself in the driver’s seat when it comes to creating the quality of your life. Choose options that keep you and your family healthy and happy. The choices you make now can positively impact your physical and emotional health for a long, long time.
- Appelton, Nancy, PhD. Lick The Sugar Habit, 2nd Edition. Avery. 1988.
- Sugar. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045000.asp
Want more articles like this?
Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, weekly articles, and tips from Donna and her team.