Protect one of your most vital organs this winter – your skin! Optimal healing for your skin begins from the inside with a healthy diet, Body Ecology style.
Brr! It's getting cold out there! And probably one of the first areas of your body to show the change in seasons is your skin.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body
It is also a vital protective barrier that you are likely to take for granted. However, as the colder months of winter approach, you may be noticing that your skin feels drier and chapped. This is bad enough, but if you get a cut, scrape, burn, or wound, it can be even more painful.
There are a slew of over-the-counter products that claim to offer quick wound care, but the problem is that they are full of toxic chemical ingredients that will actually do more harm to your skin than good!
Prevent Dry Skin in Any Season
While the billion-dollar beauty industry wants you to believe that lotions and potions are the key to better skin, here are the real secrets for healthy skin care:
- Beautiful skin starts from the inside out. It’s true. No matter how many lotions or potions you slather onto your skin, your dry skin won’t reflect good health unless you start from the inside with a healthy Body Ecology diet, plenty of pure water, and lots of restful sleep.
- Your skin is an important organ of detoxification. This means that if you put toxic beauty care, skin care, or wound care products on your skin, these chemical ingredients are quickly absorbed into your body to reach your bloodstream and potentially affect your circulatory system for the worse. To learn how to choose the best products for your skin, read: The Top 5 Sources of Toxins You Need to Know About (And What You Can Do to Protect Your Health).
Now, wound care is a trickier matter, which is why we turned to Craig Klawuhn, a health executive with expertise in the natural product and nutraceutical industry for 34 years. Here’s what he shared with us about natural wound care:
Q. Why Are Popular Wound Care Products Not So Effective?
Work in Harmony with Your Immunity! If you experience cuts, scrapes, burns, sores, psoriasis, diabetic ulcers, or other chronic wounds, common antibacterial ointments often do more harm than good. Instead, work in harmony with your immune system with all-natural Ocean Aid® Spray. With Coral Reef Sea Salt containing more than 82 trace minerals and Lysozume for all-natural defense against bacterial infection, Ocean Aid® Spray can support your body in fast and effective wound healing. Make sure Ocean Aid® Spray is in your medicine cabinet! Learn More and Order Here.
A. To create an effective wound care product requires more than mixing together natural ingredients. There are many “all natural” products that you’d never want to put near your skin; for example, crude oil is all natural! The trick is to blend natural ingredients that work in harmony with your body and its immune system.
Many of today’s wound care products, including those with natural ingredients, are petroleum or ointment based. Such products cut off the air supply to the wound and slow the growth of healthy cells.
Additionally, many available wound care creams and ointments contain antiseptics and disinfectants. We’ve been taught that these ingredients are valuable; however, they kill all bacteria, including beneficial bacteria and regenerating cells, slowing down the healing process.
Q. What Makes Ocean Aid Special?
A. Ocean Aid is the best solution because it’s a patented, all natural wound care and skin care product that supplements your body’s natural healing process: an approach that promotes cell growth, while selectively destroying harmful bacteria. The ideal product will support the age-old intelligence of your immune system with natural ingredients that work with your body’s own healing process.
Furthermore, Ocean Aid is an “Approved Product” of the American Podiatric Medical Association.
Ocean Aid contains two key ingredients - Lysozyme and Coral Reef Sea Salt:
- Lysozyme is an antibacterial enzyme that occurs naturally in all human tears, saliva, mucus, and milk. Lysozyme was discovered by the Nobel Prize winning Alexander Fleming, who also discovered Penicillin. Lysozyme targets bad bacteria and leaves the good bacteria alone. The good bacteria help accelerate the healing process.
- Unrefined Coral Reef Sea Salt has over eighty trace elements and minerals, which are essential to cell regeneration, and nourishes the skin while creating an environment in which the Lysozyme can do its job most effectively.
Q. How do these ingredients work with your body to promote the healing process?
A. If you cut yourself, your body sends Lysozyme to the wound site to help kill bacteria. Lysozyme only kills the harmful bacteria, leaving the beneficial bacteria to perform their important healing functions. When you apply Ocean Aid, you’re placing Lysozyme on the wound from the outside, thereby reinforcing your immune system’s strategy and multiplying its natural healing power.
Q. What function does the coral reef sea salt perform?
A. For Lysozyme to work effectively, it requires a natural environment that mimics the body’s own. A natural sea salt solution is an ideal delivery system for Lysozyme, because it closely emulates the body’s own saline environment and has just the right pH so the Lysozyme can do its job. Additionally, sea salt contains a large number of trace minerals that nourish the healing cells and encourage growth.
Because Ocean Aid works in harmony with your immune system, it offers proven and effective healing for a wide variety of wounds and skin conditions, including chronic diabetic wounds, post-surgery wounds, skin infections, rashes, scrapes, cuts, bug bites, fungus, and pink eye, to name a few. At Body Ecology, we recommend Ocean Aid Spray for initial care on serious open wounds and large areas. The spray can also be used internally; you can spray it in your eyes, nose, mouth, and ears.
Best Body Ecology Winter Skin Care Practices
Besides the importance of using natural products to treat and prevent winter dry skin, it also makes a difference in the way that you care for your skin at home!
- Don't shower in overly hot temperatures or for longer than 15 minutes. Many people don't realize that over washing your skin in very hot temperatures will further dry it out and deplete it of moisture, meaning that you are left with itchy, red, and cracked skin when you're done.
- Don't cleanse with harsh chemicals. This is something that we already discussed, but when you use commercial bath products that contain chemical detergents, they will deplete even more moisture from your skin, head to toe.
- Exfoliate! Exfoliating and moisturizing must go hand in hand since removing dead skin cells will make it even easier for your natural moisturizing products to penetrate your skin and offer hydration.
- Moisturize immediately after showering. After you have showered for less than 15 minutes in warm water, it is best to apply a moisturizer with natural ingredients within 1 minute after towel drying. The reason for this is that your skin will still be damp and can easily lock in more moisture from a natural product.
- Sleep with a humidifier in your room. This will provide you with even more humidity in the dry winter months so that you don't wake up with chapped lips or dry and scaly skin that is susceptible to infection.
The first step to caring for your skin any time of year is improving your diet to heal your skin from the inside out. These winter skin tips will make a serious difference in hydrating your complexion and preventing a number of skin conditions, and believe us, your skin will thank you!
WHAT TO REMEMBER MOST FROM THIS ARTICLE:
If you're sick of dealing with dry skin every winter, the Body Ecology Diet has the tools you need to improve your immune system and heal your skin from the inside out. It is also essential to take caution in the wound care products that you purchase since you must use only natural ingredients to heal your skin. However, it's possible for even "natural" products to contain ingredients that you should not put on wounded skin, which is why selecting ingredients that work in harmony with your body's health will offer you long-term healing and improvement in your skin!
- Ocean Aid® Spray
Check out yet another impressive testimonial from a member of the Body Ecology tribe!
I had a cyst right under my skin on my back along T-5. It was the width of a quarter and the depth of a nickel. In the 4 months that I have been following Body Ecology, it is gone!
- Mitzi Harden, Facebook
"What's Going Around: Healing Dry Winter Skin - Health News Story - WISC Madison."Madison Wisconsin News, Madison Weather And Wisconsin Sports - WISC-TV. 24 Dec. 2007.
Want more articles like this?
Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, weekly articles, and tips from Donna and her team.