Migraines and Other Headaches: How to Prevent and Overcome Them
Don’t despair, overcoming the grip that headaches have over you IS possible. With this guide to body ecology foods, balancing your hormones and managing your life, you can eliminate headaches and disabling migraines for life!
Migraines and headaches are painful and can even be debilitating.
Did you know that 28 million Americans suffer from migraine headaches?1
Migraines can lead to days off work, and missing out on life because of the pain experienced. It can be frustrating when headaches take so much time away from your life.
A migraine is classified as throbbing, intense pain that usually occurs on one side of the head. It can be extremely painful and can leave the sufferer debilitated for hours, days or even weeks.
Migraines are often categorized as common or classic. The “classic,” more intense than the “common,” is accompanied by an “aura”. With this “aura” one experiences neurological disturbances such as blind spots, flashing lights and tingling or numbness in the limbs.
It may be surprising to learn that 75% of migraine sufferers are women. Often a hormonal issue, migraines are associated with menstruation in 60% of women.
The Hormone Connection
In migraine sufferers, the body’s regulation of many hormones is abnormal and each imbalance may contribute to the pathology of migraines.Research has shown that the pineal gland in migraine sufferers is depressed, which leads to reduced levels of both serotonin and melatonin during migraine headaches.2
People with migraines are generally low on progesterone and their thyroid and adrenals are fatigued. Mineral deficiencies are also very common among those who suffer from migraines.
The drop in the levels of serotonin is responsible for the widening of the blood vessels that causes the throbbing headache. To find out more about serotonin read How Happiness Heals Your Brain.
Let’s look at some other factors that cause headaches and migraines:
- MSG (monosodium glutamate) and processed foods
- Food allergies. For example, wheat or gluten
- Poor eating and sleeping eating patterns can disturb your blood sugar and cause hormonal changes that can trigger a migraine
- Birth control pill
- Hormone changes during perimenopause, or cyclical changes
- Stress, and emotional distress
- Drug use (both medicinal and hallucinogenic). This depletes minerals, stimulates certain organs causing a release of hormones and elevation of blood sugar
Natural Healing for Hormonal Imbalance, Headaches & Migraines
There’s good news to this story. The Body Ecology principles CAN help you overcome your headaches and migraines.
- Eliminate sugar – Sugar depletes nutrients and puts a strain on the endocrine system and neurotransmitter balance. Instead try natural sugar substitutes like Stevia and Lakanto.
- Eat Body Ecology grain-like seeds – Eating the Body Ecology grain-like seeds can give you healthy carbohydrates to boost serotonin.
- Emphasize fermented foods and drinks Rich in beneficial microflora,fermented foods and drinks are incredible for balancing your body. They help heal your digestion and help correct mineral deficiencies while nourishing your thyroid and adrenals. The probiotic liquid, Dong Quai, is particularly valuable for hormone regulation and balance.
- Incorporate ocean vegetables, such as kelp, dulse and arame – They are mineral rich and can contribute to correcting mineral deficiencies. Plus, ocean vegetables have a medicinal and regulating effect on your thyroid (thyroid problems can contribute to headaches).
Balancing your hormones is key to healing your body and eliminating headaches and migraines. Probiotic-richDong Quai promotes overall body balancing and restoration, means you will feel healed and full of vitality. For a natural boost to your health and hormones, try convenient, delicious Dong Quai.
There are many natural ways to overcome a migraine:
Apply progesterone cream on your skin daily, starting at least three to four days before your period is due. This can abort a migraine because of progesterone’s known ability to calm neurons.3
Take magnesium, it help’s prevent migraines due to its calming effect on your nerves.
Keep your blood sugar stable by not letting too many hours pass between meals and by eating adequate protein.
Correct sleep disturbances.
Use lavender oil, which is known for treating headaches and migraines.
Coming Back to YourSELF
Migraines and headaches often arise in times of stress and overwork. One of the best ways to prevent them is to practice self-care.
Often billed as “selfish,” our busy lives tend to preclude quiet time to ourselves and taking care of our physical and emotional health.
Did you know that people who suffer migraines often consider themselves to be perfectionists who take on too much at one time and often find it difficult to relax?
Learn to say no to known stressors in your life…and YES to yourself. And if there are some stressors you can’t avoid, see if you can change the way you view them.
There is a top-recommended audio program I urge you to check out called The 9 Intense Experiences that can help you eliminate negative emotions in your life and realign you to what really matters … which all has a remarkably powerful impact on your physical health.
- Mark Life Extension, Migraine, Headache Relief 1/19/2006 http://www.lef.org/protocols/health_concerns/migraine_01.htm
- Health Concerns, Migraine, headache relief, update 1/19/2008 http://www.lef.org/protocols/health_concerns/migraine_01.htm
- Christianne Northrup, MD, Migraines