Are you a lover of chicken and other meats? Then you'll be happy to know that protein isn't something you have to give up when healing your gut on The Body Ecology Diet.
But how we cook our food has a lot to do with how we digest it. For example, most people cook their protein until it's very well done. When overcooked, it's almost impossible to digest. Most protein should be prepared so that it's medium rare. Chicken, like the healthy chicken piccata in this recipe, should be cooked at a very low temperature until it's just done and then taken immediately off the heat before you eat it.
Health, happiness, and lots of good food. Find our full collection of free Body Ecology recipes here.
Body Ecology's Healthy Chicken Piccata Recipe
Adapted from The Ultimate Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Ella Sanders
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat, or 4 chicken cutlets
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Fresh juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 strips of lemon zest, diced
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons of Celtic or Makai sea salt
- 1 tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ teaspoon of chopped parsley
Learn more, live better. Visit Body Ecology University online.
- Brown chicken breasts in oil using the sauté function of the Instant Pot or in a sauté pan on the cooktop. If you use the Instant Pot to brown the chicken, drain off the fat before continuing.
- Add chicken to the Instant Pot, then add lemon juice, zest, garlic, and shallots.
- Stir sea salt into the chicken broth and add broth to the Instant Pot.
- Close lid on Instant Pot and set pressure cooker to 10 minutes.
- When the cook time is complete, release the pressure immediately and remove lid with caution.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter, and with lid open, add the cornstarch, capers, and parsley.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the broth thickens.
- Serve chicken and ladle the caper broth on the top.
Want more articles like this?
Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, weekly articles, and tips from Donna and her team.