1.4 million Americans suffer from foodborne illnesses annually1, but you don't have to be one of them.
Besides keeping your hot food hot and your cold food cold, you can use probiotics and your strong immune system to defend yourself against foodborne illness.
Are you afraid that raw eggs and other foods will give you salmonella? You can protect yourself from foodborne illnesses like salmonella by boosting your immune system with probiotics!
The Food "Poisoning" Facts
What we typically call food poisoning is actually foodborne illness.
Food poisoning happens if you consume a poison or toxin, butfoodborne illnesses are infections caused by pathogenic (bad) bacteria, viruses and parasites.
More than 200 diseases can be transmitted through food2, thoughsalmonella is one of the most common culprits. This pathogenic bacteria, and others like it, can contaminate food and cause a range of symptoms including:
- Abdominal cramping
- Bloody stools
There's no doubt about it: foodborne illnesses are not fun.
Symptoms can start within 30 minutes of eating contaminated food or begin up to 48 hours later.
Unfortunately, most foodborne illness prevention tips only address how to handle your food, but strengthening your immunity is the best way to avoid illness.
Good Bacteria v. Bad Bacteria
Foodborne illnesses are often caused by viruses and pathogenic bacteria, but you need healthy microflora (good bacteria and yeast) in your body to protect yourself from the bad kinds. Microflora, also called probiotics, colonize the lining of your intestines and make it difficult for illness-causing bad bacteria to thrive.
These probiotics are the most powerful way to prevent and ease the symptoms of foodborne illnesses.
Studies have shown that probiotics even reduce the severity of acute diarrhea in children.3
Find out more by reading: How to Use Probiotics as a Quick & Highly Effective Diarrhea Treatment.
Probiotics can even help the worst cases of GI distress. Read one mom's story of how probiotics saved her daughter from the rotavirus.
Your 7-Step Guide to Naturally Preventing and Treating Foodborne Illness
You can prevent and treat foodborne illnesses by enhancing your immune system and by building a vibrant inner ecosystem of good bacteria and yeast.
Follow these guidelines to boost your immunity:
- Drink probiotic beverages. Fermented drinks like Young Coconut Kefir, Cocobiotic and BE Wholegrain Liquid add beneficial microflora, which help colonize your intestines to prevent infection. To find out what's so special about probiotic liquids and how to use them, read: The Eight Ultra-Healthy Uses of Probiotic Liquids
- Eat fermented foods. Cultured vegetables are great- tasting, and sour. These raw fermented vegetables are rich in fiber and probiotics to give you a healthy dose of good bacteria at every meal.
- Learn the principles of food combining. When you properly combine your meals, you will more easily digest your food and avoid creating a toxic environment in your intestines where bad bacteria and yeast can thrive.
- Cut out refined flour products. Processed foods made with flour 'clog up' your digestive tract and make your gut inviting to pathogens.
- Eliminate sugar from your diet. Sugar compromises your immune system and makes your body more susceptible to bacterial and viral infection.
- Eat prebiotics. Prebiotics are food for the probiotics. Prebiotics encourage the growth of healthy microflora in your system so that you have a bigger army to fight pathogens.
- Start your day with Vitality SuperGreen, our delicious green drink that is full of probiotics and nutrients that heal your gut and boost your immunity.
Our probiotic liquids contains a blend of beneficial bacteria and yeast that are meant for the human digestive system, so they survive harsh stomach acids and promote colonization in your intestines.
But given the quality of today's food supply do be concerned. Take care not to be ill.
In addition to the powerful health benefits of consuming probiotic liquids like Dong Quai daily, having it on-hand to take if you ever feel the symptoms of a foodborne illness is very smart ... Read More and Order Dong Quai Now!
If you (or someone close to you) have severe symptoms of foodborne illness, they will benefit from probiotic liquids. (If symptoms persist, do see a doctor.)
But protect yourself from getting sick by building your immunity with good bacteria to create an environment that will keep you healthy!
- Daniells, Stephen, "Probiotics May Protect Against Food Poisoning," FoodNavigator-USA.com, 20 Mar 2007. http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/news/ng.asp?id=75107
- MacFarlane, GT, "Probiotics, infection and immunity," Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2002 Oct;15(5):501-6. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12686883&dopt=Citation
Want more articles like this?
Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, weekly articles, and tips from Donna and her team.