Get Over 250 Recipes
The BE Living Cookbook
Products that may interest you:
Even though the French make crepes with it, the Japanese use it to make noodles, and buckwheat groats are commonly used to make porridge in eastern Europe—buckwheat is not a grain.
Buckwheat does not belong to the family of gluten-containing grains. Instead, it is closely related to leafy vegetables, like sorrel and rhubarb.
Buckwheat belongs to a food group that we at Body Ecology call “grain-like seeds.” Grain-like seeds:
Buckwheat, like all grain-like seeds, is naturally gluten-free.
Gluten is a common irritant that you will find in the grain of most cereal grasses. Research tells us that gluten can destroy the lining of the gut wall, making it leaky. (1) Some people have even developed a direct immune response to gluten. (2) They must avoid it in order to stop the destruction of their own tissue.
Luckily, if you have given up gluten, seeds like buckwheat may fill the void that wheat left behind. As a food combining reminder: Always make sure that when 20% of your meal is buckwheat, the other 80% is a combination of non-starchy vegetables, fermented vegetables, and ocean vegetables.
Scientists speculate that human beings have been harvesting buckwheat for centuries! (3) As it turns out, buckwheat can withstand a harsh environment and even thrives in extreme altitudes. Buckwheat’s popularity may be due to its hearty nature and rich nutrient profile.
Buckwheat is a delicious grain-like seed that is naturally gluten-free. Buckwheat is safe to eat on the Body Ecology Diet and won't feed harmful Candida overgrowth.
Buckwheat’s grain-like seeds are chock full of:
These three minerals are vital to your health and wellbeing.
For example, iron is the central mineral found in red blood cells, and it prevents some forms of anemia. Zinc boosts the immune system, mental acuity, and sexual vigor. (4)(5)(6) Selenium supports the production of antioxidants in the body and helps to prevent mercury toxicity. (7)(8) Selenium is also essential in the production of active thyroid hormone. Research has found that both selenium and zinc work together to prevent food allergies in infants and children. (9)
Buckwheat seeds contain a plant chemical called rutin. Rutin has been found to strengthen the walls of tiny blood vessels, called capillaries. (10) Rutin also helps to control inflammation and prevent blood clots. (11) For this reason, buckwheat seeds are used as a traditional remedy for cardiovascular disease. (12)
According to Chinese medicine, buckwheat can stop diarrhea and eliminate thick vaginal discharge. (13) In the traditional folk medicine of many cultures, buckwheat seeds have been used to cleanse the intestines and strengthen appetite. (14)
Buckwheat seed has a neutral temperature and a subtle, sweet flavor. It is one of the most alkalizing “grains” available and can be enjoyed year-round in a stew or with a light summer salad.
When preparing buckwheat or any of the four Body Ecology grain-like seeds (amaranth, buckwheat, millet, and quinoa), it is essential to soak all grain-like seeds for at least 8 hours. To further soften buckwheat during the soaking process, you can add 1 teaspoon–1 tablespoon of Body Ecology’s InnergyBiotic.
Soaking removes anti-nutrients that are found in the hull (or outer shell) of the seed.
These anti-nutrients prevent the absorption of minerals found in buckwheat, like iron, zinc, and selenium. After soaking and before cooking, take care to rinse the buckwheat using a strainer.
The most basic way to prepare buckwheat:
Other ideas on buckwheat from the Body Ecology Kitchen:
Buckwheat is commonly confused for a grain, although it is actually 100% gluten-free. Buckwheat is a grain-like seed that is highly recommended on the Body Ecology Diet. This simply means that buckwheat won't feed Candida overgrowth and is easier to digest than grains like rye, barley, and wheat.
If you have gluten sensitivity and are trying to cut gluten out of your diet to improve your health, buckwheat is the perfect alternative. As a tip, it's best to eat buckwheat following the 80/20 rule—enjoy buckwheat on 20% of your plate along with 80% fermented vegetables, ocean vegetables, and non-starchy vegetables.
Buckwheat is rich in iron, zinc, and selenium to boost the immune system, guard against food allergies in children, and even prevent some forms of anemia. Traditional folk medicine has relied on buckwheat to cleanse the intestines and improve appetite.
You can easily enjoy buckwheat at home year-round. Here are a few of our best buckwheat preparation tips:
Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, weekly articles, and tips from Donna and her team.