With the recall of Zelnorm medication, many are seeking a natural IBS cure. Find out how Body Ecology can help heal your inner ecosystem...and say goodbye to IBS the natural way!
If you are one of the 10 - 15% of people who suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, you long for an IBS cure.
Conventional treatment has often focused on drugs that are antispasmodic, anti-diarrhea, laxative or even anti-depressants. While sometimes providing short-term symptom relief, these drugs have fallen short of long-term solutions, with some even being recalled from the market.
Some IBS sufferers even take several different medications depending on the symptoms they experience at different times.
Unfortunately, taking these prescribed medications for IBS relief could cause you serious consequences, including death!
Strokes, Angina, Depression...OH MY! Zelnorm Medication for IBS Recalled
Zelnorm medication is prescribed for the short-term relief of IBS associated constipation in women.
Early clinical trials showed that Zelnorm medication was only slightly more effective than taking dummy pills.
Consumer advocacy groups like Public Citizen, warned of the potential side effects, and yet, the FDA approved Zelnorm in July of 2002 for women with IBS associated constipation.
In August of 2004, the FDA issued another approval of Zelnorm, this time for both women and men under the age of 65 who experience chronic constipation.
In 2005 alone, there were over 2 million prescriptions written for Zelnorm, making it one of the top 200 drugs in the country.1
Here are just a few of Zelnorm's side effects:2
- Chest pain
- Anxiety, depression, attempted suicide
- Ovarian cysts
- Impaired concentration
- Kidney pain
As is so often the case, it took several confirmations of the adverse cardiovascular side effects of this drug for the FDA to finally ask for a recall of Zelnorm in March of 2007.
Lotronex - Another Dangerous Drug
Lotronex is another popular IBS drug that was developed to treat diarrhea-predominant IBS.
It was approved by the FDA in February of 2000 despite warnings of serious side effects. It was then recalled only nine months later, after 70 cases of adverse reactions, including 5 deaths, were reported.3
Many IBS patients fought the recall, and in 2002 were able to get it re-approved. The U.S. is the only country where Lotronex is available, and it is still prescribed.
Serious side effects of this drug are further gastrointestinal problems including constipation, and ischemic colitis, which can be fatal.
There are a variety of other drugs that are prescribed for IBS, but they all have several downfalls, including:
- Serious side effects
- They are expensive (some are $3 or $4 a pill)
- Unavailable to nursing or pregnant mothers, or children
- Long term effects on health are unknown
- Most are for short term relief, which means that stopping the drug brings back the symptoms
- Limited uses for those who suffer both constipation and diarrhea
- They change your body chemistry in an unnatural way.
Drugs Can Make Your Digestion and Your Health Worse
Drugs, even those that are absolutely essential, damage your immune system. They overload your liver, which has the important task of cleansing impurities and toxins from your blood.
Just like alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and processed foods, drugs create an acidic condition in your blood, which decreases your bodies' ability to absorb nutrients and minerals from your food.
Acidic blood also sets the stage for pathogens, like viruses and fungal invections, like candida, further compromising your digestion and immunity.
In fact, candida infections may even be a contributing factor to the digestive problems associated with IBS.4
Body Ecology Heals Your Digestion - Naturally
My years of research and consistent anecdotal feedback from Body Ecology followers has convinced me that gastrointestinal problems like IBS can be corrected by healing your inner ecosystem.
After years of digestive problems and candida, I personally became weary of just trying to keep my symptoms under control and became passionate about finding the root cause. What I learned is that to be in balance when it comes to health and immunity, our digestive system is KEY.
Just like the Earth has ecosystems that strive for homeostasis, your body has an inner ecosystem that strives to have a healthy balance of goodmicroflora to keep the bad bacteria and yeast at bay. It is this civilization of neutral and beneficial microflora that allows you to easily digest and assimilate your food so that what you eat makes you feel GOOD, energized and healthy.
When your inner ecosystem is out of balance, the bad bacteria and yeast overpower the good, setting the stage for digestive pain and illness.
If you've been suffering from IBS, you have an imbalanced inner ecosystem.
The goal of the Body Ecology program is to create health by removing all foods that feed pathogenic bacteria, viruses and yeast, while introducing foods that bring your inner ecosystem back into balance.
Here are the 9 key Body Ecology tips you can follow to promote your own natural IBS cure:
- Remove sugar, alcohol, processed foods, and caffeine from your diet. Many people who suffer from IBS already know that these substances can exacerbate their symptoms.
- Pay attention to protein digestion. Digestive pain can often be caused by improper digestion of animal protein. In addition, proteins likecasein in milk and gluten grains can be difficult to digest.
Assist Dairy and Protein is a digestive enzyme that aids protein digestion, helps ease symptoms of digestive distress. and provides the HCl (stomach acid) you may be lacking for proper, pain-free digestion.
- Increase the amount of fiber in your diet but obtain this fiber from cooked vegetables and cultured vegetables. The Body Ecology program is high in fiber, so you can do this naturally by following our 7 principles of healthy eating. This is particularly important for IBS sufferers who experience frequent constipation.
If you worry about getting too much fiber or the wrong kind of fiber, which can contribute to some IBS symptoms like bloating, and indigestion, start small and build up over time. Listen to your body.
- Soak nuts, seeds AND your Body Ecology grain-like seeds. This is extremely important. All grains, nuts and seeds have enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid that make them difficult to digest, which can inhibit mineral absorption in your body.
Eating large quantities of grains and flours that have NOT been soaked, sprouted or fermented, can lead to digestive illness and IBS!
- Focus on cleansing your system. When you follow the Body Ecology program, you automatically start ridding your body of toxins and dangerous bacteria and yeast that upset your digestion and your immunity.
When your body first begins to cleanse, your symptoms might seem worse before they get better. It's important that you give your body time, and be patient.
For more information on why you need to hang in there, read: The Quick and Easy Guide to Improving Your Health on the Body Ecology Program Part VI: Why You Might Feel Bad (At First) When You Start to Eat Healthy
REMEMBER: When your body is cleansing we need to help it cleanse. Professional colonics and home enemas become invaluable tools. Soothing ingredients can be added to the enema water and also used after the enema in an implant. These heal the inflamed tissue of the colon. Examples of healing additives might be liquid minerals, 100% Neem Leaf Powder and aloe vera.
- Do not overeat! This can contribute to the bloating and painful spasms that some IBS sufferers experience. Always eat until you feel only 80% full. This leaves room for digestion.
- Follow the principle of food combining. Digestion is hard work. Make it easier on your system by using Body Ecology's rules for food combing. For further information read: Food Combining: The Little Understood Secret to Optimal Health and Weight Revealed
- Add fermented foods and drinks to your diet. Perhaps one of the most important principles of Body Ecology is to incorporate fermented foods and drinks into your healthy diet.
The probiotics in fermented foods and drinks may be nature's true IBS cure, especially when consumed as part of your Body Ecology program.
They help repopulate your intestines with healthy microflora, and ease your whole digestive process.
- Take care of your emotional health. While you are healing your physical body, I recommend focusing on your emotional health too, so that your results are exponential. Yoga, deep breathing, mediation and the Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) are wonderful ways to get in touch with your mind-body connection and reduce stress.
Cocobioticand Dong Quai are delicious, and provide an easy way to repopulate your gut with the beneficial microflora so important to healing your digestive symptoms. They are also an effective treatment for diarrhea, a common symptom of IBS.
I would also recommend our convenient, ready-made probiotic liquids like Cocobiotic,BE Wholegrain Liquid, and Dong Quai. Besides being delicious, easy, and portable, they come with all the beneficial microflora to help heal your digestion.
For more information on how you can use probiotics to help you with IBS, read: How to Use Probiotics as a Quick and Highly Effective Diarrhea Treatment
When you have IBS, it's extremely important to build up to the right amount of fermented foods and drinks. So be sure to read: Is It Possible to Get Too Much Fermented Food In Your Diet?
Listen To Your Body
If you have IBS, you are surely in tune with what's happening in your body.
You may have tried everything, with little success. What makes Body Ecology such an effective solution for IBS is that it goes right to the root cause: healing your digestion. As your digestion is healed, you will find that you no longer experience digestive pain.
Recognizing how well you know your own body, Body Ecology promotes the principle of uniqueness. You are unique and your healing journey may not look like anyone else's.
I encourage you to listen to your body as you incorporate Body Ecology's system of health and healing into your life. More than promoting a natural solution for IBS, the, Body Ecology Way encourages overall health, vitality and longevity for many years to come!
- FDA Should Not Have Approved Zelnorm
- Zelnorm Withdrawn From U.S.A. Market
- Causes of IBS. Intestinal Bacteria, Yeast/Candida, and Parasites
- Be Kind To Your Grains, by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig
Want more articles like this?
Sign up to receive weekly articles. You'll also receive a 15% off coupon, weekly articles, and tips from Donna and her team.