- 1 cup of dry Quinoa
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- 1 cups water
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- ½ cup corn, chopped
- ½ cup parsley, minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tsp sea salt or to taste
- Rinse quinoa well with warm water and drain. (Quinoa has a natural coating of saponin, the bitter taste of which repels insects and birds. Rinsing with warm water removes the saponin.)
- Place rinsed quinoa in bowl and let soak for 12 – 24 hours at room temperature. (Adding several tablespoons of young coconut kefir or BE Wholegrain liquid to the soaking water will “pre-digest” the quinoa making it even more digestible).
- Drain soaking water into a measuring cup and measure it. Add to or pour out this soaking water so that you have only 1 cup of water to cook quinoa in.
- Add salt to water in a pot. Bring to a boil, add quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer 15-20 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Fluff into large salad bowl and allow to cool.
- Prepare vegetables and dressing. Combine garlic, lemon juice, oil, and sea salt, pour over quinoa and toss well. Wash and spin-dry cilantro leaves and chop into bite-size pieces or thin strips. Add cilantro, corn and parsley to quinoa. Toss Gently. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes.
For Babies 6 months & older: Reserve some plain cooked quinoa. Puree quinoa with water.