Kale and Millet Casserole stores well in the refrigerator, and makes excellent leftovers.
- 1 strip kombu
- 1 cup millet
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed of tough stems, and sliced into 1/4-inch ribbons
- 1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Place the kombu in a stock pot and cover with filtered water. Allow the kombu to soak for 15 to 20 minutes until it becomes pliable.
- Place millet in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add 2 1/2 cups water, add rehydrated kombu. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then immediately reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the stock has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove kombu, fluff with a fork and serve.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Warm olive oil in a wide skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic and celery - sauteing lightly in olive oil for 3 minutes or until it becomes fragrant.
- Stir onion, garlic, celery with millet until loosely combined. Stir in the kale and salt, then place in a baking dish. Pour in the vegetable stock, and bake for 40 minutes.