Have you seen all of the commercial fermented products on the market now? It can be very hard to determine which of these are healthy and which ones are simply trendy treats. Most store-bought fermented beverages are pasteurized and loaded with sugars and preservatives and do not contain living probiotics and enzymes. We like this delicious more cost effective LIVING alternative. And, we think it tastes better too.
- 2 cups raw quinoa
- 1 quart pure water
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup young coconut kefir, or a packet of kefir starter
- [optional] vanilla, stevia, mesquite
Make sure that you are getting the most beneficial symbiotic bacteria in your home made fermented beverages by using a controlled kefir starter.
- Soak your quinoa overnight in quart-sized covered glass container with a pinch of sea salt (in fridge or on the counter)
- Rinse quinoa and add to blender with 1 quart pure water
- Blend for 30 seconds
- Drain quinoa pulp by using a nut-milk bag (found at natural grocers) or a strainer
- Pour the liquid into a sterile glass jar
- Add 1/4 cup young coconut kefir, or a packet of kefir starter and seal jar carefully
- Set out to ferment at 78-80 degrees for 18-24 hours
- Drink as is or add sweetener and flavors listed above
This "milk” can also be added to a raw soup or smoothie for a flavor and texture almost like yogurt.