- 1 large head broccoli, separate florets and stems
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- Feathery tops from 1 bulb fresh fennel
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed, or more to taste
- Celtic sea salt or Herbamare to taste
- Scallions and parsley, finely chopped, to be used as a garnish
- Sliced red bell pepper for garnish
- Peel broccoli stems and chop, discarding any woody pieces.
- Sauté onion, garlic, and ground fennel seed in coconut oil or ghee in a stockpot. When onions are translucent, add broccoli stems and most of florets, reserving a handful of the smallest ones.
- Add fennel tops and water and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Purée mixture in blender or food processor for several minutes. Return to stockpot and add sea salt or Herbamare to taste.
- Simmer 10 minutes and serve.
- Garnish with reserved broccoli florets, parsley, scallions, and chopped red bell pepper strips.
This recipe is very popular as a breakfast soup. Fennel is an excellent digestive aid. Be sure to buy a bulb of fennel that has a generous amount of the feathery tops, which look a lot like fresh dill. Use the tops in this soup and save the bulb for later in another vegetable soup or fresh salad.