Products that may interest you:
Choline is especially important in protecting the integrity of our DNA—it supports cell metabolism and cell division.
When it comes to tasks like forming a new baby, nourishing brain cells, detoxifying the body, or making sure that tissue is free of cancer—choline is critical.
While the body can make small amounts of choline, it isn’t enough to support our daily requirement. This is especially true for women during pregnancy and while nursing.
Did you know that fetal tissue contains 14 times more choline than a mother's blood? Choline during pregnancy is essential to a baby's brain development. Choline-rich foods like egg yolk are best digested when eaten with fermented vegetables, made from the Veggie Culture Starter.
Studies estimate that roughly 90% of pregnant women in the United States are not meeting recommended choline intake levels. (1) Most prenatal vitamins do not contain this essential nutrient.
The current Adequate Intake (AI) for choline is:
What’s more, it seems that the recommended choline intake isn’t enough for the optimal health of your baby. (2) Research shows that even consuming slightly more than the recommended intake (480 mg) still may not be enough to sustain adequate choline reserves. (3)
Choline moves through the placenta and concentrates in your growing baby. Fetal tissue contains 14 times more choline than the mother’s blood.(4)
Here’s why choline is important for the development of your baby:
Choline is a nutrient that works best within a network of other like-minded nutrients—like B-complex vitamins and a micronutrient called betaine (found in high amounts in spinach and beets).
This means that the best way to get choline is through food.
Foods are naturally equipped with co-factors that support many systems within the body. Per gram of food, animal foods contain significantly more choline than plant foods. (10)
The richest sources of choline include:
We suggest pairing choline-rich animal protein with alkaline vegetables, fermented vegetables, and ocean vegetables.
Remember, on The Body Ecology Diet, approximately 20% of the foods on your plate should be acid-forming and contracting, while the remaining 80% should be alkaline-forming and expansive:
Raw cultured vegetables are expansive in nature. They make an ideal balance to the contracting power of choline-rich animal proteins, like eggs. Fermented vegetables are also full of enzymes, which help with the digestion of animal protein. If you have a hard time digesting animal protein, it’s wise to include a digestive enzyme with HCL and pepsin.
Eggs are one of the best sources of choline, concentrated in the yolk. This is one reason why we love Soft Scrambled Eggs, which calls for two additional egg yolks per egg.
Choline is essential to protect the integrity of DNA, which is especially important when forming a new baby. The body makes small amounts of choline, although it isn’t enough to meet daily requirements. Pregnant and nursing women need to focus on choline in the diet most of all.
The majority of pregnant women may be at risk for choline deficiency. Research estimates that up to 90% of pregnant women in the United States do not meet recommended choline intake levels. Pregnant women need 450 mg of choline per day; nursing mothers need 550 mg per day.
Choline is vital to a baby’s brain development and is best found in the diet. Rich sources of choline include beef and chicken liver, egg yolk, and caviar. Choline-rich animal protein should be paired with alkaline vegetables, fermented vegetables, and ocean vegetables. You can also take a digestive enzyme with HCL and pepsin to make it easier to digest animal protein—the health of mother and baby depend on it.
Information and statements regarding dietary supplements/products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Information on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is a result of years of practice and experience by the author. This information is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information on this website for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal, or homeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your healthcare provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read on this website.