(NOTE: This is Part II; though you can read Part I and II in any order, if you haven't already, be sure to also check out Part I: How the Bacteria in Your Gut Causes Overweight (& How to Get Your Balance Right)
Did you know that the sniffles you had last week could make you gain weight in the future?
New research indicates that you could become obese from the same kinds of viruses that cause cold symptoms!
If you eat right and exercise but still can't lose weight, the answer could be the bacteria in your belly! New studies link bacteria and viral infections to weight gain and obesity.
In Part One of How the Bacteria in Your Gut Affect Your Body Weight we discussed the scientific studies that link bacterial and viral infections (like the common cold) to obesity.
These theories explain why some people gain weight while others do not, even when they eat the same foods.
This means that the old advice of "eat less and exercise more" does not always apply. In fact, some people may even get fatter when dieting!
Since common viruses and overgrowth of bacteria are both factors in weight gain and obesity, the best defense is a good offense --treat and prevent the infections that can make you fat.
The Anti-Viral Protocol
In the war against weight gain, the winners will be those who understand what actually causes it. Gaining weight is merely a symptom of imbalance in your body. Whether you have an overgrowth of bacteria in your gut or a common virus that causes you to gain weight more easily, you CAN heal your body from those infections and lose weight in the process.
The Body Ecology System of Healing provides delicious, healthy nutrition AND helps control bacterial, viral and fungal infections.
At Body Ecology we know that all living beings need to establish plenty of good bacteria (microflora) in their gut in order to have a foundation for wellness.
We call the complex civilization that should be living inside your digestive tract an "inner ecosystem." This internal world of microflora thrive to help your body digest food, extract minerals and other nutrients, and aid your immune system as it attacks bad bacteria and viruses like the ones responsible for obesity.
In our Certified Body Ecologist trainings we teach about viruses and how they cause infections. Some viruses infect our body and we feel like we have "the flu". Our immune system conquers them or they run their course and then disappear. We call these viruses "transient" viruses.
There are certain strains of viruses, however, that once they infect us simply never leave again. Examples of these permanent viruses are hepitis A, B, C that can infect the liver), HIV that causes AIDS, herpes simplex that causes cold sores, chicken pox, shingles and multiple sclerosis2,3 and herpes that causes genital herpes. The Human Papilloma virus (HPV) that causes skin warts and cervical and throat cancer is also a permanent resident once it invades your body.
Nearly everyone has some kind of permanent virus in their body:
To make it easier to better understand these permanent viruses imagine a fire-breathing dragon who lives inside a dark cave. The cave is somewhere in your body and if the dragon never leaves its cave it really is causing you no harm. If the dragon is hungry, however, it comes raging out breathing fire.
But what is the dragon wanting to eat?
Yes, when our body become deficient in minerals our blood become acidic.
The dragon comes out when our body becomes acidic or in other words, viruses thrive in bodies with acidic blood.
Body Ecology Can Change Your Life!
First you need to make your body unattractive to damaging viruses by creating an alkaline blood condition with plenty of minerals.
Sit down and make a list of things in your life that could be depleting minerals and creating an acidic condition in your body.
These things create an acidic condition in your blood, so avoid them while you heal:
- A high carb diet
- Sleep disturbances that lead to fatigue
- Animal protein
- Grains and flour products (rice, wheat, oats, barley, rye - and even in the beginning for the first 10 days, no BED grains)
- Nuts and seeds - these are rich in arginine, a substance that makes viruses worse.
- Sugar in any form, even fruit
- Acid fruits - this includes lemons and limes, even though they are typically recommended on the Body Ecology program. Acid fruits like lemons, limes and grapefruit should be avoided when following an anti-viral protocol.
Eat a very mineral rich diet and eliminate any acid forming foods to bring a viral infection under control. Acidic foods are not necessarily unhealthy, they are just inappropriate for what your body needs to heal at this particular time. Follow this protocol for 10 days, or until you begin to see a relief in your symptoms.
In Chinese medicine, the concept of "heat" relates to inflammation. Viruses are a cause of this inflammation. If you really tune into your body you can feel this subtle internal "heat". To create balance, you have to cool the heat to get rid of the inflammation.
A raw foods diet - Body Ecology style - would work best for you. Raw vegetables combined with fermented vegetables make a great combination for healing inflammation. Read How to Eat Your Vegetables Raw- With NO Gas or Bloating.
Include these in your diet:
- Minerals - feed your body minerals every hour to heal your adrenals and keep your blood more alkaline. The Body Ecology program is a mineral-rich diet.
- Vitality SuperGreen - provides minerals, probiotics and helps keep your blood more alkaline.
- Raw salads with no cruciferous vegetables. To find out why, read: Why You Need to Cook these Vegetables for Maximum Nutrition.
- Ocean vegetables are healing and nourish your thyroid. We recommend including them in every meal, especially on the anti-viral protocol.
- Only healthy oils. For more information on healthy oils recommended by Body Ecology, read: Why the Processing of Consumable Oils has Damaged America's Health
- Fermented foods and drinks - the basis of the Body Ecology program and the key to restoring your body's natural defenses against the invaders that can cause bacterial, fungal and viral infections. Since the Body Ecology system of health and healing has helped many people lose weight, these superfoods may also aid in conquering the bacterial and viral infections that cause weight gain.
- Drink Young Coconut Kefir - This sparkly beverage is easiest to digest when you're first starting the BE diet. Try our recipe at home!
- Make your own fermented vegetables and eat ½ cup at every meal. These vegetables also make a great snack, and our recipes are easy to make.
- Add milk kefir to your diet once you can digest it properly (typically after 3 months on the stricter version of the Body Ecology program). Kefir is truly the 'feel good' beverage and in the second stage of the diet can be very cooling. Learn more about kefirand how to make it.
- Use Liquid Spirulina - fermented spirulina has anti-viral properties, is a powerful antioxidant, provides minerals and boosts your energy.
- Include miso, Natto and wheat-free tamari - while these fermented soy foods are typically only recommended in the second stage of the Body Ecology program (after you have healed your digestive system), they are actually important to include at any time in an anti-viral program. They are nourishing, cooling and anti-viral.
The Body Ecology anti-viral protocol is not a starvation regimen. It is designed to go after viruses that keep you sick, tired, and overweight. To learn more, attend the Certified Body Ecologist training in sunny Jupiter, Florida!
People tell us that they feel best and lose the most weight when they are on an anti-viral protocol. We've been told by some customers that whenever they go off the Body Ecology anti-viral protocol and onto the regular Body Ecology program, their weight plateaus. And if they abandon the Body Ecology system of health and healing, they have reported weight gain.
As you try out Body Ecology's anti-viral protocol, we would love to get feedback and know what your results are.
- Henig, Robin Marantz. "Fat Factors" NYTimes.com 13 August 2006.