2 Essential Oils That Combat Candida!

Posted January 23, 2013. There have been 103 comments

Products that may interest you:

Many of you have had questions regarding how to use essential oils therapeutically, as described in this article. We've added updated information to the article here.

Essential oils smell beautiful. But did you also know that many essential oils can support health and fight infection?

Last year, the Journal of Ethnopharmacology published a study highlighting the strength of certain essential oils in controlling overgrowth of the yeast Candida albicans.

Bacteria and yeast do not develop a resistance to herbs and their oils.

Candida is a yeast that naturally lives in the body.

A strong immune system and a healthy inner ecology keep the yeast Candida in check and prevent it from taking over its surrounding environment.

Unfortunately, overuse of antibiotics and a diet full of processed foods, sugar, and gluten limit the body’s ability to keep Candida in check. Because Candida is an opportunistic microorganism, it will multiply when it has the chance and cause issues like thrush, vaginal yeast infections, and systemic candidiasis.

The soothing essential oil clove can provide medicinal benefits to relieve pain and kill parasites in the body. In Chinese herbal medicine, clove is also used to alleviate morning sickness in pregnant women.

Common symptoms of systemic Candida overgrowth include:

• Chronic fatigue
  • Insomnia
  • Swollen joints
  • Constipation
  • Abdominal cramps and bloating
  • Depression and foggy thinking
  • Mood swings
  • Bad breath

Candida Protects Itself with Biofilm

Candida is especially good at constructing a strong, slimy substance around itself called biofilm.

Like green sludge stuck to the surface of a rock or plaque clinging to teeth, biofilm is a tough slime that can house Candida, parasites, and other disease-causing microbes. As colonies of Candida form and lay down more biofilm, this sticky goo protects the yeast and supports its growth.

Last year, a study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology demonstrated that the essential oils of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) and clove (Syzygium aromaticum) are especially effective at busting through the tough biofilm that Candida hides behind. (1)

In addition to lemongrass and clove, previous studies have found that the essential oils of thyme, patchouli, and cedarwood can also inhibit the growth of Candida. (2)

Inside the human body, Candida biofilms can limit the reach of powerful prescription antifungal drugs, making candidiasis difficult to treat.

In a hospital setting, Candida biofilms are a serious health hazard. Patients that receive implants—such as catheters or prosthetic heart valves—end up with hospital-acquired Candida. (3) As it turns out, Candida biofilms are incredibly resistant to common antifungal drugs, like amphotericin B and fluconazole. (1)(3)

The Benefits of Lemongrass and Clove

The “problem” with essential oils is that they are made by nature.

In other words, you cannot standardize them, and you cannot patent them. However, like other antifungal and antibacterial herbs, essential oils do not harm the beneficial inner ecology of the body. And, just as important, bacteria and yeast do not develop a resistance to herbs and their oils.

Lemongrass and clove have been used as spices in traditional cooking for centuries. The medicinal value of these herbs (and their oils) is still strong in traditional cultures.

In Brazilian folk medicine, lemongrass has a hypnotic and anticonvulsant effect. Besides helping to break up Candida biofilm, studies also show that lemongrass can lower blood pressure. This may have something to do with the fact that lemongrass is a powerful antioxidant and can help to stop inflammation.

Clove, most notable for its mouth-numbing effect, is popular in Asian, African, and Mexican cuisine.

In Indian Ayurvedic medicine, clove is used to dull pain (especially toothaches), to enhance digestion, and to kill parasites. And likewise, in Chinese herbal medicine, clove warms the digestive fire. It is also used to soothe morning sickness in pregnant women.

Western studies have found that clove is an antioxidant and that it can help to reduce blood sugar levels, as well as ease dental pain.

UPDATED

Consuming essential oils should only take place under the direct supervision of a healthcare professional.

Both lemongrass and clove essential oils are Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) and are certified as Food Additives by the FDA. They may be safely taken internally as a dietary supplement.

You can also use oils on the skin (topically) if there are skin disorders or diffuse them in the case of a lung infection. When it comes to lemongrass and clove, these oils can be diluted in a carrier oil—15 to 30 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil—and applied to the skin. We suggest coconut oil because it is a highly stable saturated fat, soothing, and extremely therapeutic for infection.

Candida overgrowth can show up as a vaginal yeast infection. In this case, we recommend 25 drops of oil blended with 2 tablespoons of carrier oil. This can be applied to a tampon and retained for up to 8 hours or placed on a sanitary pad for external signs of overgrowth.

If you decide that you would like to use essential oils, it is important to choose a high-quality therapeutic grade oil. John Steele at LifeTree Aromatix is a connoisseur of scents and has been in the business of essential oils for decades. Many of his oils are organic or wild-crafted and sustainably harvested.

If you would like to learn more about the essential oils offered at LifeTree Aromatix, you can contact John at 818-986-0594 or via email at info@lifetreearomatix.com.

What To Remember Most About This Article:

While essential oils may smell wonderful, you might be completely unaware that they can also fight infection in the body. Certain essential oils have been proven to control Candida yeast overgrowth, alleviating symptoms like chronic fatigue, insomnia, and depression.

Candida is difficult to attack since it protects itself with a slimy biofilm that further supports its growth. Fortunately, essential oils like lemongrass, clove, thyme, patchouli, and cedarwood have been proven to inhibit the growth of systemic Candida.

Natural essential oils have been used in cooking and as medicinal herbs for centuries. Lemongrass can lower blood pressure as it works as a powerful antioxidant in the body. Clove can be used as a natural pain reliever to dull toothaches, improve digestion, kill parasites, and even ease morning sickness in pregnant women.

REFERENCES:

1. Mohd Sajjad Ahmad Khan, Iqbal Ahmad. Biofilm inhibition by Cymbopogon citratus and Syzygium aromaticum essential oils in the strains of Candida albicans. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 27 Mar 2012; 140 (2): 416-423. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2012.01.045.
  2. Abe S, et al. [Anti-Candida albicans activity of essential oils including Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) oil and its component, citral].Japanese Journal of Medical Mycology. 2003; 44 (4): 285-291.PMID:14615795
  3. L. Julia Douglas. Candida biofilms and their role in infection. Trends in Microbiology. Jan 2003; 11 (1): 30-36. DOI: 10.1016/S0966-842X(02)00002-1.

Post Categories: Candida Gluten Sensitivity Pregnancy

• I have used both of these (lemongrass and clove oil). I have to mention that there is a family history of glaucoma. Although I have not been diagnosed, the lemongrass oil caused my eyes to feel a dull pressure from the inside. Clove oil did not cause this. They are both effective for joint pain relief. In terms of antifungal, I've had a chronic sinus infection for years. When spreading the clove oil over large areas of skin (for transdermal absorption, for joint pain) i noticed recently that my sense of smell improved dramatically. (Too bad I live in a house with a cat...hah) The clove oil helped against the sinus infection! What a delightful side effect.

• Do mix clove and lemongrass or take separately and how many drops

• Would thieves work as well? Would you take it internally or topically? and how much would I take?

• Had systemic candida 1970's.Was treated with nystatin/Nizarole. Just started overgrowth again and since I use Young Living oils for many things decided to take 1 drop of Thieves several times a day. The itching in my nose and throat is just about gone after 2 days. Still abdominally bloated, but see improvement there, too. No more diarrhea. Eating a no sugar, low carbs diet. Not craving sugar either. Brain still a bit fuzzy at times.
    Thanks for your website and info.

• I have been using helichrysum internally for about 6 weeks. I go on it for about 4 days, 2 drops each morning. After about 4 days I can't take anymore. Especially the first time. Every place in my body there was an injury was blazing in pain, including the areas of inflammation. After stopping that first time, things had eased up! I did it again after about a week. After a 3-4 day dose, I was yet better. And so I continue. So I've had about 5 or 6 cycles. I can do things, stretch, feel less inflammation, have less injuries and aches & pains than when I start. Also, a brown growth (not white - I'm on a no-carb diet) was growing on my tongue and was always in my spit when. That's gone. I would use it with much caution, but darn it works.

• What brand of essential oil is safe to use? There are so many out there.

Thanks,
    Debra

• I make a blend of frankincense (12), Tea Tree (12), Lavender (12), Lemongrass (3), Clove (2), Helichrysum (2). I mix this in a jar with 2 ounces of melted coconut oil (very important to use coconut oil because it has anti-fungal properties). Let mixture stand for about 1 hour. To use: If liquid, soak 1/2 of a tampon in the coconut oil; if solid, stir to soften and put about 1 teaspoon on the tampon. Insert tampon in the usual way. Replace tampon every 6-7 hours. Do this for 7-10 days.

• I copied this from directions above :

You can also dilute EO in tsp. of honey, or olive oil, 16 oz water, or fill gel caps.

• I am a big proponent of Donna Gates' impassioned work. As a health coach, I've studied over 100 dietary theories and found hers to be the most complete in its relationship to ridding the body of candida. I recommend her book and dietary protocol to all of my clients. In fact, I'm leading the next group candida cleanse program on 3/1/13 that incorporates Donna's diet and essential oils that are all pure enough to ingest. We have an essential oil blend that has been scientifically formulated to kill Candidiasis. Please contact me for more details or to join.

• The article reads :
    "Before taking an essential oil, always dilute it in a healthy fat, such as 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or ghee. Usually, no more than 2 drops should be consumed at any one time in a 4-8 hour period. Children under 6 years old should never consume essential oils.

You can also use oils on the skin (topically) if there are skin disorders or diffuse them in the case of a lung infection. When it comes to lemongrass and clove, these oils can be diluted in a carrier oil—15 to 30 drops per 1 ounce of carrier oil—and applied to the skin. We suggest coconut oil because it is a highly stable saturated fat, soothing, and extremely therapeutic for infection"

• Thanks for the updated section. The only question I have is regarding the two-drop recommendation (every 4-8 hours). Would that mean two drops total, or two drops of each essential oil?

• I use essential oils and just rub them on the bottom of my feet. I also rub them behind my ears.

• This is a very good topic, because most people have Candida overgrowth and are not even aware of it. In fact, Candida can reside in your lungs, sinus, hair, eyes, on your tongue -everywhere. I had Candida since I was very young, but learnt about it only in my 40's. Since then, I tried different methods, products, etc. to get better. And I found that good probiotics, clean colon, fresh garlic, non-sweet diet, blood sugar and fungus control high quality (only) essential oils work best. I documented all my findings in my blog and web site: eugeniyamusic.blogspot.com/2012/12/keeping-candida-under-control.html
    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

• Dear BE Readers,

Please see the updated section for more information on consuming essential oils. - BE Admin

• The way I would take these is to purchase the organic oils from below. I also buy the empty pill capsules from them and fill them with a few drops of what ever oils I may need at the time. The oils are natural.... but not usually recommend when pregnant due to the fact that some can cause labor.

I personally would like to know what is recommend by body ecology as dosage... but I would guess 4 drops of each oil in one capsule 3 x a day.

• as the author of the above article is detained from responding to the 87 inquiries, i hope the Tea Tree Oil protocol might be replaced by the Lemongrass or Clove. i am not a doctor, but have several girlfriends who have in just 1 day found 100% success with this treatment http://www.womens-health.com/boards/gynecology/10640-bacterial-vaginosis-sufferers-read-long.html

• What is the dose and method of taking these oils?

• How do you add these essential oils to your intake to allow them to work internally? Is there a reference model or a cookbook? Please respond.

• How is this taken?

• Your article "2 Essential Oils That Combat Candida!" says that Lemongrass and Clove oils are good for the treatment of Candida, but you do not say how much to take. How should these oils be used? Transdermally? .... Drops under the tongue?.... Drops in food? .... ???? Thank You.

• I didn't see how these oils are supposed to be used, what concentrations, etc....?

• Are there some recipes available to incorporate Lemongrass essential oil into the diet. Does it work for candida by just applying to the skin?

Thank you!

• How do you ingest the essential oils lemongrass and clove please for treatment of candida?

• it would be great if this article included the amount of each oil and the best way to take them. any ideas?

• It's wonderful to know that clove and lemongrass are helpful against candida, but the article didn't address how to use these oils. What methods and applications were used, and what works best?

• How can I make this myself, do you give the recipe? Or can I purchase it already made? Thank you Amy

• Hi Donna,
    thank you for bringing out these informations about oils and herbs. this information about lemongrass and clove is valuable information to me.i use to suffer candida attack so much cause i use to consume lot of sweet stuff ,now i almost avoid refined sugar and it products.
    elsa

• I had read several years ago that when taking natural anti-fungals, such as garlic, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf, etc., that you must rotate them to keep the yeast from becoming resistant. Is this new research that suggests the yeast to not develop resistance to herbs? Thanks!

• How would you use these oils?
    Are they safe to ingest in food, or must they be used in their raw ingredient form?

• I have a major case of candida and want to try these essential oils you refer to in above article.
    Please tell me how to use them to help with my candida. Thank you

• Would love to know dosage and delivery method, ratio, e.t.c. Thanks!!

• How would one use the essential oils to kill the yeast off?
    Thanks ,
    KD

• Besides just say the essential oils: lemongrass, clove, thyme, patchouli and cedarwood have been proven to inhibit Candida growth. Do you have a recipe to offer with any combination of the oils?

• So, are you supposed to ingest the oil or rub it on your skin......how do you use it?

• Can these essential oils be taken internally? If so, what is the dosage?

• Thank you for this excellent article on candida and essential oils.

• Do you ingest these?? How much?? Do you reccommend a particular brand such as Young Living? Thanks!

• Are these oils food grade to take orally or just cooking with these spices will do the same thing?

• so how do you use the essential oils for candida? Rub it on you, or use it in cooking??

• Can the authors please suggest ways of utilizing these essential oils for the purposes stated? Essential oils should never be taken internally so I'm wondering how to effectively use them to dissolve the "biofilm". The most common methods of using aromatherapy are in a diffuser or applied to the skin via water, oil, bath, etc. Do these methods inhibit candida growth? Thank you!

• Thank you for the article on Lemongrass and Clove to combat candidiasis. Very good information!

• Hi, Could you please tell me which brand of these oils are any good and how should I use it

Many Thanks
    Michaela

• Thank you for this article. It would be good to have more information as to how to ingest the clove and lemongrass herb as well as how often. Please send more info about details utililzing these herbs to fight the candida biofilms!
    Thank you!

• So what's the dosage? Treatment plan?

• Thank you for this info on essential oils of lemongrass & clove. Can you tell me where to get these? Do I need to make my own? Thank you for any help! I am just getting started!

• Thank you for this wonderful article! Just one question - what is the best way to use those essential oil? you can not add them to food or add a drops to water....? How to use them in order to fight with candida?

Thanks in advance!

• What fantastic news! Thank you!! Can you share a recipe (how many drops of each) and what kind of oil is best? That would be fantastic. I will try it right away after receiving that info!

• So what are you supposed to do with the oils? Ingest them, if so how much?

• How are essential oils utilized for this purpose?

• This is interesting and I want to know more. What is the best way to use these essential oils for a systemic condition?

• How do you apply and use the essential oils, like lemongrass, for treating candida?

• Thank you so much for the information. I will try the clove and lemongrass. I have systemic candida and can always use the help and tips.
    Thanks again!

• Could you please explain how these oils are taken or are you suggesting to cook with the raw ingredient?

Many thanks
    Lisa

• So - how do you take this essetial oil combo internally and how much? Thank you!

• This is very intersting, but how would one take these essential oils? Is there a recommended dosage or a supplement that contains these oils?

• It's great to know which essential oils inhibit Candida, but how does one use them?
    Do you inhale?
    Do you mix into a drink?
    How do you use these oils to actually have an affect on Candida?
    Thank you.

• How do we use these oils to treat Candida? Orally?

• I urge you to look at Young Living theraputic grade essential oils - they would be perfect for use as described above!

• this is amazing , how much do i use and for how long. should i expect to feel awful for a few days while the yeast dies down

• How does one take these essential oils? Are they ingested as drops?

Thank you!!

• How, exactly, do you use these essential oils?
    Do you eat them?
    ....cook with them?
    Dilute them in water for aroma?
    How do you get the anti-candida benefits of the cedarwood oil?

• While I am a fan of using essential oils, I did not see a recommendation in this article as to the method of suggested use (oral, topical) or frequency, amount of drops for efficacy. Thanks MJ

• How exactly would you incorporate these oils into your diet?

• A very informative article, as always.

From my personal experience, therapeutic grade essential oil of Melaleuca (Alternifolia), or as commonly known, tea tree, works best. I use it internally and on my nails, body, and hair.

• A very good article, as usual.

In my personal experience, therapeutic grade Melaleuca (Alternifolia) Essential Oil, which is commonly known as tea tree, works best for Candida. I take it internally and on my nails, hair and body. I also use Thieves.

• Very useful article, thanks! :O)

• What is your recommendations on the dose of the lemon grass and clove oil to fight candida infections? What products do you recommend?

• This is fantastic information and I for one, would love to use these, please tell me how much i need and for how long and should I expect to feel rough while the candida dies off, I would be very grateful for this information

• Are essential oils safe to take internally? I see mixed information about that.

• Just wondering what kind of application process you would recommend?

• Are you taking the oils internally?

• Hi! I just read your article about the essential oils lemongrass and clove. Would you be able to tell me how often and how much of these oils I should take to help with elminiating candida from my body?

Thank you!
    Karen

• I am wondering how the essential oils should be used to have the beneficial effects. Should they be taken internally? Applied to the skin?

• As a cancica sufferer I was very interested in this article. However, it did not say how to take the essential oils and how often should they be used and in what quantity. This would be very helpful to know. Could you publish that or please send me the information. Thank you

• So how are they suggesting that you consume/ingest these essential oils and should it be done on a daily basis?

• While I appreciate the article on these essential oils for candida, can you please impart a practical way to use them.

• Thanks for this information. I'd really like to know specifically how to use these oils. I am a whole food plant based eater for 2 years now. I still have a problem with chronic vaginal yeast infections that I cannot seem to get a handle on. Any help would be much appreciated.

• How much and how often and in what form should these essential oils be taken?

• Your article doesn't really describe how to take these essential oils to curb or eliminate candida. It would be nice to know how to incorporate these into our diet and daily habits. Clove especially is quite strong. Do you dilute it in water and drink it?

• In this study are the essential oils consumed or used as a scent? Thanks!

• Can the benefits of essential oils for fighting candida be experienced by using them externally? Or do they need to be consumed? If consuming them, should actual lemongrass be used or the essential oil of lemongrass? I am not familiar with cooking with essential oils. This was an interesting article, but really raises more questions than answers.

• thank you for the information - how do you use these oils for candida ...... straight, together, separate, alternate.......? thank you, Rachel

• Great Article and very informative. Thank you very much for sharing as always. I always love reading your articles.
    How do you use the essential oils of lemongrass and clove to treat systemic candida? Can you ingest it? I thought, essential oils are for topical use only.

Sincerely,
    Rosanna

• How do you take these two oils? I know you can make clove tea and lemongrass is in cooked foods, But, I would like to know the best way to get clove oil and lemongrass oil in your body.

• This is good to know but what is the safe dosage, how can these be used, etc.

• How would the oils be used for combating candida? Would they be used in a diffuser, on the body, or taken internally? Please give recommended application?

• Hi -
    Thanks for this most interesting article. It would be helpful to know how much lemongrass and cloves to use, and the best way to use them.
    Best,
    Mary Ann

• Hi,
    I've bought clove oil before to use on mould
    and have been thoroughly warned not to breathe
    it in, let alone digest it. It makes sense that this
    oil could help fight off candida. That being so,
    how, and by what method would the dosage be?

Many thanks,
    Tiffany

• Hi,
    I have lemongrass essential oil that is food grade. Should I eat it or rinse with it or apply it on my skin? How should I use it for maximum impact?
    Thanks!
    Susie

• Great article! I know so little about essential oils and their efficacy as healing components. For the uses stated in the article, how would you use these oils?

Thank you!

• Can you please tell us HOW to use the lemongrass and clove. Do you use it INTERNALLY or EXTERNALLY? Please elaborate on this article.

• How do you use these essential oils to get rid of candida?

• Thank you for this valuable information. It would be helpful to mention recommended dosage for these essential oils and how they should be taken.

• How should these essential oils be used to best combat candida? Should the oils be ingested? at what does and frequency? or would using these spices in soups, teas, and other recipes by sufficient? is simply inhaling them adequate?

• Okay. essential oils are great. How do I use them?

• any suggestoins on a product that has the clove and lemongrass oil

• Thanks for the info. How and in what quantities would one take these oils?

• It does not state how to take these oils. Do you take them internally or externally? Pill form? Tea?

• do all the oils get ingested? how much?

• How would you go about using the oils to produce this benefit? Are they added to recipes?

• Great info shared on lemongrass and clove yet no indication of how much to use and how to use it . It implies they are good for cooking with. Can one take a drop of each in a glass of water? Is a drop enough?

• How would you recommend the essential oils be taken or administered?

Comments